Failed USMLE 1, passed COMLEX...peds MD residency?

Started by soko23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soko23

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I failed my USMLE step 1 but passed COMLEX 1. What are my chances of still getting into an MD peds residency if I don't retake it?
 
The advice we are usually given as D.O. students is to refrain from taking the USMLE unless you are quite sure you are going to pass the exam. Without the exam, allopathic programs will compare our COMLEX scores with past resident's COMLEX scores in order to gauge our future success (as a test taker). If, however, you do decide to take the USMLE and do poorly, then you have now placed yourself in a position to be compared to all others that take the USMLE and do well.

Now, does this mean that you will not get an allopathic residency in pediatrics? Not necessarily. As with all failed exams, retaking it is probably the best course of action at this point, especially if you're applying to top end programs. I do not know what your COMLEX score is, but there is a difference between "passing" and "acceptable." As a D.O. student, I decided to not take the USMLE (for monetary reasons, and not competency) and applied having only taken the COMLEX. I was granted 13 interviews at allopathic programs, of which UAMS/ACH is my number one. I have been informed through my interviews that programs wish to see at least a 500 on your Step 1 and Step 2 before considering an osteopathic student for an interview. For reference, a score of 500 is considered the mean, whereas a 400 is considered passing.

I cannot say that your chances are nil, but it would be more likely for you to have better chances with a retake... IMHO, of course.

Good luck to you!
 
...As with all failed exams, retaking it is probably the best course of action at this point, especially if you're applying to top end programs....
I cannot say that your chances are nil, but it would be more likely for you to have better chances with a retake... IMHO, of course.
I agree that a "retake" of Step 1 is your best course of action if you are interested in allopathic Peds programs. I have known MD med students who have failed Step 1 and "matched" at good Peds programs, but they all retook it and passed it well before the application process started. Not sure how programs would view your COMLEX score with the non-passing Step 1 score also in your application portfolio. It wasn't clear where you are in your educational journey. If you are just starting your clinical rotations, you can do a good deal of "damage control" by doing well on those rotations and by having a good score on the clinical COMLEX exam (or Step 2 CK, if you choose to take it).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the responses. I am just over halfway though 3rd year and feel like I'd have to start from scratch studying for step 1 again, which I don't have time to do if I want to try to perform well on COMLEX 2. I've been doing well on rotations though. Would passing USMLE step 2 make a difference if I don't retake step 1?
 
Thanks for the responses. I am just over halfway though 3rd year and feel like I'd have to start from scratch studying for step 1 again, which I don't have time to do if I want to try to perform well on COMLEX 2. I've been doing well on rotations though. Would passing USMLE step 2 make a difference if I don't retake step 1?
It is difficult to speculate the "what ifs", but I would encourage you to focus on COMLEX 2 and doing well on your rotations. I don't know if passing USMLE Step 2 would make a big difference to "top tier" allopathic Peds programs if you had a failing score on Step 1. Allopathic programs that are "D.O. friendly" already might use your COMLEX scores in assessing your application. There are allopathic programs that might not interview a non-MD who doesn't have good USMLE scores, however.
 
I think it depends on the program. I know I saw on UCSF's website that you have to pass step 1 and 2 of USMLE and they won't substitute COMPLEX scores...but that is just one program