Failed USMLE STEP 2, twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelperT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a foreign national. I had Step 1 score of 85 on first try.
Step II, 71, 73.

Planning to take 3rd attempt at Step 2 CK.

Any advice?

Is it possible to do a US residency if I pass USMLE STEP 2 CK on the 3rd attempt? Does the score matter at this point, if I get 75+?

Thank you for any helpful advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt you would have much of a chance at matching into a US residency after failing CK twice. There are plenty of fmg's who pass both steps with good scores on their first attempt and still fail to match. If you are really determined your best chance (after passing the test) would be to get some US clinical or research experience and try to use connections from that to help you land a spot. good luck

I will be doing RN job soon and planning to take USMLE, etc. Would that help me out on US clinical plus I have relatives in the East coast (consultants and retired MDs) plus old colleagues from school as IMGs, most are hospital based still and others in private practice.

Is this sufficient to get a match? Thanks.

Last edited:
If by RN job, you mean working as a registered nurse that will have no bearing on your ability to match as a medical student. You need to do clinicals in the U.S. as a medical student and obtain good letters of rec from these clinicals (even more helpful if they are in the field that you are trying to match). Just knowing physicians in the U.S. is unlikely to improve your chances in the match unless they are the program directors of residency programs :D If any of your colleagues are preceptors, you could do a rotation w/ them, obtain letter of rec, etc. I wouldn't necessarily do rotations w/ relatives as this could be considered conflict of interest and even glowing letters of rec from relatives are unlikely to hold much weight if the PDs know they are related to you (which should be disclosed if you related, but that's another can of worms). As an FMG, you are going to have to do at least as much as what U.S. medical students are doing (many would say you need to do more esp if you are FMG-trained & not born in the U.S.).....there's no real shortcuts.