USMLE Failed USMLE step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD11

Reaction score
I'm an international medical graduate (visa requiring) and have applied for residency this year. I took step 3 last month and got the result back and I failed by 4 points.
What are the implications?
I am planning to take it again before the end of this year.
My credentials:
Step 1: 21X
Step 2: 22X
CS: Pass
I have 3 months of USCE and 3 US LORs, work experience in home country, recent graduate (2020)
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the option, do not send your updated USMLE transcript. It will make you DOA.

Otherwise there's nothing to do except re-take and pass ASAP. Hopefully you get in this year, because reapplying next year with that failed attempt on your transcript will be difficult.

If you have the option, do not send your updated USMLE transcript. It will make you DOA.

Otherwise there's nothing to do except re-take and pass ASAP. Hopefully you get in this year, because reapplying next year with that failed attempt on your transcript will be difficult.
Thanks for the reply! I haven't updated the transcript yet, and i am planning to take it before this year ends. The programs would know about my attempt anyway, right? Is not updating the transcript something that people do?

Thanks for the reply! I haven't updated the transcript yet, and i am planning to take it before this year ends. The programs would know about my attempt anyway, right? Is not updating the transcript something that people do?
Also

Otherwise there's nothing to do except re-take and pass ASAP. Hopefully you get in this year, because reapplying next year with that failed attempt on your transcript will be difficul

Also, if i pass the second time, would that in some way compensate for the attempt? I know the answers would vary program to program.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no simple answer to your question. As you mention, it will vary by program. Failing S3 is never going to help, the amount of damage it will do to your application is variable. As mentioned, your best bet is to not release your new score and forge ahead for this year. But don't lie about it -- if you're asked about whether you have taken / will be taking S3, then you should be honest. But "I plan to take it later this year" is honest, although incomplete.

If you're applying for an H visa, then it's a whole different story. You'll need a passed S3 for that, and most programs won't rank you without it. Not needed for a J visa.

There's no simple answer to your question. As you mention, it will vary by program. Failing S3 is never going to help, the amount of damage it will do to your application is variable. As mentioned, your best bet is to not release your new score and forge ahead for this year. But don't lie about it -- if you're asked about whether you have taken / will be taking S3, then you should be honest. But "I plan to take it later this year" is honest, although incomplete.

If you're applying for an H visa, then it's a whole different story. You'll need a passed S3 for that, and most programs won't rank you without it. Not needed for a J visa.
Thank you for your answer.
I don't think being dishonest with the programs is going to help me in anyway. I was wondering if not releasing the score at all (ie. until the match) is a wise thing to do. My plan was to start prepping and having a pass in my hand and then releasing the transcript. I know that the attempt will still reflect badly on the application, but I am worried about the implications of not releasing the score at all.

I'm an international medical graduate (visa requiring) and have applied for residency this year. I took step 3 last month and got the result back and I failed by 4 points.
What are the implications?
I am planning to take it again before the end of this year.
My credentials:
Step 1: 21X
Step 2: 22X
CS: Pass
I have 3 months of USCE and 3 US LORs, work experience in home country, recent graduate (2020)
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Hello SwD11:

I am also IMG. Took step 3 in end of October and got the result back, and like you, failed by 4 points. I used multiple resources for study: UWorld step 3, Archer-lectures/questions, mappingccs, First aid step 1. MTB, Ethics. I feel I have to study differently and study with partner. would like to share with you ideas how to study. Please, contact me at [email protected]. Thank you

Hello SwD11:

I am also IMG. Took step 3 in end of October and got the result back, and like you, failed by 4 points. I used multiple resources for study: UWorld step 3, Archer-lectures/questions, mappingccs, First aid step 1. MTB, Ethics. I feel I have to study differently and study with partner. would like to share with you ideas how to study. Please, contact me at [email protected]. Thank you
did you use master the boards step 3?

Thank you for your answer.
I don't think being dishonest with the programs is going to help me in anyway. I was wondering if not releasing the score at all (ie. until the match) is a wise thing to do. My plan was to start prepping and having a pass in my hand and then releasing the transcript. I know that the attempt will still reflect badly on the application, but I am worried about the implications of not releasing the score at all.
What happened with your Step 3 first fail attempt, did you match?

Not going to lie. This fail will sink your application if you don't retake and pass. Even then, I'd be hesitant to match someone like you since you'd be a danger to failing boards