Failing a Class in Pharmacy school?!! Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hayls455

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a P1 in a 6 year pharm program. I am taking biochemisty and I just found out that there is no way that I will pass the class :(.

Ive always been more of a chemistry person, ive never been good at bio. I just never thought I would fail the class.

I'm not really sure what I should do at this point. I cant take Molecular bio next semester until I pass biochem. And my school doesnt offer it again for winter intersession. Do you think I would be able to take it at another school? Im in a 6 year program, If Im not caught up by May, Ill get kicked out, even though Ive done well in my other classes

Sorry if this is all kind of scattered, I am shaking as Im typing this and I really dont know what to do.

Does anyone know if and where I might be able to take the class over winter intersession?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently a P1 in a 6 year pharm program. I am taking biochemisty and I just found out that there is no way that I will pass the class :(.

Ive always been more of a chemistry person, ive never been good at bio. I just never thought I would fail the class.

I'm not really sure what I should do at this point. I cant take Molecular bio next semester until I pass biochem. And my school doesnt offer it again for winter intersession. Do you think I would be able to take it at another school? Im in a 6 year program, If Im not caught up by May, Ill get kicked out, even though Ive done well in my other classes

Sorry if this is all kind of scattered, I am shaking as Im typing this and I really dont know what to do.

Does anyone know if and where I might be able to take the class over winter intersession? Any school from PA down to VA?

How about you ask your school advisor?

I will have to talk to my advisor, but I cant do that until friday ( hes not in right now and thats when he gets back)

So i was just wondering if anyone in this forum had any information

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your advisor and see what options are available at your school since every school is different.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious...this late in the semester, how did you JUST find out there was no way you were going to pass? I feel like if this has been a semester long struggle, it probably should have been addressed earlier...

Is this USP? I heard the biochem test here had a 69 average. Seriously, that's not worse than our P&T averages, yet people pass. Maybe they'll curve?

But if you fail biochem, I believe that unfortunately you have to just take it again next year, which will set you a year behind.
EDIT: I actually looked at the policy, if you indeed go here, and since biochem isn't a pharmacy practice course, you may be able to get out of this. Here is the link to the student handbook: http://catalog.usp.edu/content.php?catoid=11&navoid=243#trans_credit. Not sure though since it says "electives" and biochem is required. I know a guy who failed biochem and retook it the following year.

I think e-mail the dean's office or see someone in there and see what you can do.

Last edited:
Sounds like Rutgers to me based on the course titles and this winter session deal.

I would not entertain the possibility of taking a course that might not even be accepted as a substitute for in-curriculum biochemistry (the conceit, anyway, being that the courses are tailored to the actual PharmD curriculum there).

At a certain 0-6 school, there are alarmingly many opportunities for remediation including re-taking certain P1 and P2 courses in the summer provided that one does not pass the course but not fail outright (getting a D), so maybe there is a similar path for you there.

Yea every school is different in their fail policies, your adviser will obviously be your best option. My school for example has a way with dealing with course failures and working with each student on a very specific individual basis. This almost always require repeating the course the next semester and if it's part of a sequence then you will be put back a whole year because of the failure. Multiple failures and your booted from the program at Nova. But, that's just Nova for example

I'll find out tomm what will happen:confused:

Do you think they would possibly let me still take molecular next semester ( even though biochem is a pre-req), and just have the credits pending until I retake biochem over the summer or next fall?

Or does anyone know any other ways I can prevent being a whole year behind?

Do you think they would possibly let me still take molecular next semester ( even though biochem is a pre-req), and just have the credits pending until I retake biochem over the summer or next fall?

I don't mean to be so cold but if you define prerequisite then you will have your answer.

Again, at a certain 0-6 school even if you don't pass a fall-semester "prerequisite/corequisite," if it wasn't an outright fail you can still take the courses in the following spring with the expectation that you shell out some more money to repeat the non-fail course in the summer. Don't know how your program even handles things like that though (even if there is such a thing as not passing yet not failing a course in the "core" curriculum).

No, if biochem is a prerequisite for molecular bio (and in most schools it is), they will not let you take it. I know it sucks to be a year behind, but you'll still be a pharmacist at the end as long as you study hard in the future and don't fail anything else.