Failing a class in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inpharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if your school offers Pathophysiology in the summer and when during the summer? The reason I'm asking is that I didn't do well in Patho. at my school. I will either have to repeat the whole year again or find a school that offers this class in the summer. I have tried looking at some schools but have not been sucessful in finding what the different schools offer for the summer. Any comment is greatly appreciated, since I would really not want to be behind a year. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if your school offers Pathophysiology in the summer and when during the summer? The reason I'm asking is that I didn't do well in Patho. at my school. I will either have to repeat the whole year again or find a school that offers this class in the summer. I have tried looking at some schools but have not been sucessful in finding what the different schools offer for the summer. Any comment is greatly appreciated, since I would really not want to be behind a year. Thank you in advance

Sorry, I can't think of any school that does that. You'll be behind a year, but it's not that bad. You can still take some of your second year courses, or even some electives. It makes your second year course load a lot lighter.

Sorry, I can't think of any school that does that. You'll be behind a year, but it's not that bad. You can still take some of your second year courses, or even some electives. It makes your second year course load a lot lighter.

I think every school has its own policies about failing a class. At my school, if a student fails a class they sit out a year until the class is offered again. So for me, that F would cost me ~100K. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)

Look into Southwestern Oklahoma State. I am not sure if they do, but they offer many summer classes. It is worth a call.

I think every school has its own policies about failing a class. At my school, if a student fails a class they sit out a year until the class is offered again. So for me, that F would cost me ~100K. :scared:

So, if you fail one class then the following year you can only take that one class and nothing else? Not even an elective like public policy that does not have a prerequisite?

So, if you fail one class then the following year you can only take that one class and nothing else? Not even an elective like public policy that does not have a prerequisite?

I think he means that completing the rest of the pharm program but still needing an additional year to re-take the failed class, will be one more year before getting a license and a job that pays ~$100K, so that's how much a failed class will cost him.

That's correct. Our curriculum is set, we don't really have electives until Spring semester of P3 - and then the selection is pretty meager.

We (the P1s) had some folks join us this semester for a class or two. We only see them for those lecture periods. By next fall, they will return to carrying the full program load. I imagine we'll pick up people every semester and some of my classmates will drop back throughout the remaining two years of the didactic program.

We have six years to complete the program or we're done.

Weird, huh?

At my school (different than the person you're quoting) - failing a course eg pharmacology results in you repeating the year as its a pre-req for courses coming up.

What happened to a few people in the class above me who failed pharm was they retook some courses they had already passed (on recommendation of the director) to better their mark. So instead of 7 courses/semester, they took the one they failed + 3-4 others. Then the next semester they're basically on par again as you can't take certain courses without the pre-req(pharmacology) [eg med chem II, pharm II, otc therapeutics require pharmacology I]. It does end up being a year wasted, more or less.

Harsh penalty for failing a course by 2 marks.

Check out St. Louis College of Pharmacy too. I'm pretty sure some of the students who failed in my class were able to make it up a class there. I'm not sure if the class you need is offered though.

Check out your school's policies on post-matriculation transfer credit. Not all of them allow you to take a class outside their halls, especially if it's not a pre-pharmacy course.

You might well find a patho course to take, and then not be able to transfer it, even if it's at another pharmacy school.

What school (besides Midwestern CCP) allows you to retake a class at another school during summer? That sounds crazy to me. I always thought school's curriculums are set to the tee.

Most schools I know, if you fail one course (F), you need to retake the whole year. That includes classes you've already passed.