Failing Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aimz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will most likely have to retake biochem. I plan to apply early June. I want to retake it in the summer but my new grade won’t be updated until August. Is it best that I take this class in the spring instead? This class was the hardest class I have ever taken and I am afraid that when I do retake it I will get a B:xf:, maybe only a C. :scared:

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First thing you need to figure out is if you can drop out and get a W ASAP. If you are in danger of getting a F or D you should drop that course right now. A W is far better and will not impact your GPA at all.

If you drop the course and are able to retake it and the best you can get is a B then that isn't a big deal. Biochem is tough and only a few credits when compared to the rest of your coursework.

If you cannot drop the course.... I don't know what to tell you. Work hard to go from F to D to at least get some quality points and then really try for that A on the retake.

No matter what you're able to do I would change profs and identify why you did so poorly this time around so you may do better next term.

I will most likely have to retake biochem. I plan to apply early June. I want to retake it in the summer but my new grade won't be updated until August. Is it best that I take this class in the spring instead? This class was the hardest class I have ever taken and I am afraid that when I do retake it I will get a B:xf:, maybe only a C. :scared:

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Thank you....I'm glad to say that I passed! I got a C+ in the class. :D I really didn't think it was going to happen because it was the hardest class I have taken and the teacher is horrible. This is my second C though so I hope this doesn't hurt my chances too much for dental school :( . My gpa will be at a 3.42 . I have more upper level bios to take so hoping for all A's. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is biochem really that hard? I'm taking the course next semester. I know it depends on the professor lol..... but is the material itself that difficult? o_o

Is biochem really that hard? I'm taking the course next semester. I know it depends on the professor lol..... but is the material itself that difficult? o_o

I think biochemistry can be very difficult but you're right it depends on the professors

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Biochem is very challenging, but my professor was the best professor I ever had. I just took the final yesterday and am expecting a pretty good grade. It's very interesting which helped keep me focused. It Actually ended up being one of my favorite classes.

Like others have said, I think the professor makes or breaks it. I am just finishing Biochem I this semester and my professor was a totally incomprehensible asian man who would frequently demean any student who asked a question... What a nightmare of a class. Too bad, because the material is pretty cool.

I think biochemistry can be very difficult but you're right it depends on the professors

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

+1. I think biochem is a bit difficult. It also depends on professor. I knew a guy who got straight A's through open university at another campus. He didn't do so well in my molecular class to I would think he will have a hard time if he took biochem classes at my campus. I think the hardest classes I took was physical chemistry. Ugh, hated those classes. For some reasons, I mostly got A's in biology classes ( only 1 B) and B+/- in chemistry classes ( a bunch of them). Being a biochem major, I still love it. With that being said, either withdraw (too late?) or retake it asap (take it in the spring). Failure in undegrad without legitimate reasons will not leave a good impression. Just study everyday and ace that class. GL!