failing class...post acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWantH2O

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was lucky to get into my first choice school....but because i had to miss a few labs this semester for interviews and stuff...now theres a really good chance that i might end up with a D in the class. Ive tried talking to the prof but he wasnt willing to help. am i screwed? please be honest

Members don't see this ad.

wow speak to your dean

Members don't see this ad :)
i was lucky to get into my first choice school....but because i had to miss a few labs this semester for interviews and stuff...now theres a really good chance that i might end up with a D in the class. Ive tried talking to the prof but he wasnt willing to help. am i screwed? please be honest

I am not sure if you are screwed but here is my take.

If it is a pre-req you will not be able to matriculate. That is obvious from all the schools.

I would first speak the departmental chair and/or dean of the department. Then I would call the dental school and keep them abreast of the situation. Be proactive as this potentially could keep you from matriculating.

Good luck

ouch a D does hurt!

If you are 100% sure your gonna receive that grade and theres nothing you can do about it....talk to the people from D-School admission and tell them your sceniro! I am sure they can deal with it. But still you dont want to suprise them. All honesty is good!

Good luck!

Even if it is a pre-req, you can take it over the summer. Last year, my friend took a pre-req course over the summer after being accepted at a school, the summer was also after he graduated. If the class is not offered in your school over the summer, then you can take it at any other school near you as long as your dental school is satisfied with the course.

Yeah, I definitely know how harsh lab attendance policies can be, and its probably too late to make them all up...I would just do as the other posts suggest and speak to your department dean and let them know you have completely valid excuses, and I would say best case scenario you can drop/withdraw the class and the grade, and then just retake the class. And I also think its a good idea to call up the dental school and make sure they're aware, I mean it can't really be helped that you missed some labs for interviews- they are obviously a lot more important and mean a lot more to your future!

Even if it is a pre-req, you can take it over the summer. Last year, my friend took a pre-req course over the summer after being accepted at a school, the summer was also after he graduated. If the class is not offered in your school over the summer, then you can take it at any other school near you as long as your dental school is satisfied with the course.
best advice, you have to have your pre-reqs satisfied BEFORE school starts, not before you graduate from your university, so worst case scenario, talk to the dean of your d-school and he lets you take it over the summer, (take the first summer session) then relax for the rest of the summer!!

I'm was about to get a C- in a GenEd class post acceptance too :/ I talked to the prof and told him I missed a lot of class due to interviews and he took off the points that I was docked for "late" work. It boosted me to a B- ! Talk to him, then talk to the Dean, and if nothing can be reached call your D School and tell them you will retake if necessary.

Just in case, find another class that can substitute for that class 2nd semester if it's a required class.

you'll probably be ok as long as its not a prereq. Call the dental school and ask what will happen if you don't complete a non prereq class you listed for a future term.

They probably won't mind as long as you still:
1) pass all your prereqa
2) receive your BS

dental schools dont start until next fall. so you hva espring and summer to make it up. dont worry. and dont need to tell anyone at dental school. You got accepted. pay the deposit fee and wehatever you do, get a B>S or B.A at the end of summer and send your transcript to them. at that time, they doesnt care anymore.

I dont think you should tell someone in dental school now. not a good move

Talk to your Dean, explain about the interviews, and withdraw the course (you'll get a W, but that's better than a D), and then retake the course next semester. That's what I did.

Be careful as I know my acceptance letters have all specified that acceptance is contingent on the completion of current coursework. I would definitely call the schools and be sure that you're still good to go. I agree with most that you should contact your adviser and/or dean to discuss the circumstances of your absences.

Please IwantH20 keeps us informed. I am in a similar situation with my molecular biology class I have my final tomorrow, and I am hoping for a 60 to get a C. I know a 60 sounds easy but with this class you never know!!! I am graduating this semester and I need this class to graduate, so I feel terrible because I am wonder if they can take my acceptance away!!!!!:scared:

Talk to your Dean, explain about the interviews, and withdraw the course (you'll get a W, but that's better than a D), and then retake the course next semester. That's what I did.

ya a W is definitely better than an F

Please IwantH20 keeps us informed. I am in a similar situation with my molecular biology class I have my final tomorrow, and I am hoping for a 60 to get a C. I know a 60 sounds easy but with this class you never know!!! I am graduating this semester and I need this class to graduate, so I feel terrible because I am wonder if they can take my acceptance away!!!!!:scared:

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, except with a micro class. Missed the first midterm for interview, "absolutely no make-ups" is their policy. Anyway, I think I'll pull a C, which at the schools I got accepted to is the minimum grade acceptable for pre-reqs. I'd say if you can pull that C, you should be in good shape. Good luck! (ps, I think I remember hearing that UoP might be an exception in that they require B or better in post-acceptance grades. Seems harsh, but then again so are their 13-hour school days).

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, except with a micro class. Missed the first midterm for interview, "absolutely no make-ups" is their policy. Anyway, I think I'll pull a C, which at the schools I got accepted to is the minimum grade acceptable for pre-reqs. I'd say if you can pull that C, you should be in good shape. Good luck! (ps, I think I remember hearing that UoP might be an exception in that they require B or better in post-acceptance grades. Seems harsh, but then again so are their 13-hour school days).

I've never understood this policy... We're trying to further our education, but they are the limiting factor.

I missed two accounting exams for interviews. I got some mean make-up tests, that were brutal. Aced the third exam, though. Why do they do this, I'm not quite sure.

i'm in the same boat you are... i totally failed my final today.... on accident... :scared: :(

I've never understood this policy... We're trying to further our education, but they are the limiting factor.

I missed two accounting exams for interviews. I got some mean make-up tests, that were brutal. Aced the third exam, though. Why do they do this, I'm not quite sure.
I've had many classes with the "absolutely no makeup exam" policy, but have never had any problem talking to the professor beforehand and arranging to take an exam early. I have done this 5 or 6 times and only once did the professor deny me an early exam.

Any news????