Failing Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolManiac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took step 2cs on wednesday august 10 in atlanta. i was nervous and antsy. I repeated some questions and at times forgot to ask relevant questions. i was frequently tongue-tied. sometimes, i would remember a qustion and ask it later. my differential list usually had ffom 3-5 differentials. i was empathetc. I spoke as clearly as possible. some patients seemed "agitated" and snapped a question at me - "can we get this treated? i want to get it done soon..." i usually made decent closures, spoke clearly when i could.

how exactly is this graded? i checked the usmle website and it gave a criteria. i dont want to fail. i wonder if i failed the SEP portion and the data gathering portion because i forgot to ask some questions.

so i think i failed step 2cs. i get the report in oct 12 and i cant re-register again. what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Try not to worry, there is not much you can do about it now. Doesn't sound like you have any huge errors. Nobody really knows how it is graded (or at least anymore than is explained on the website). I understand why you are nervous, I took mine July 2nd in LA. I am really nervous also, I am hoping to get my score this weds. Also everyone forgets stuff, I forgot to do MMSE on a case that clearly needed it. I also had cases where I didn't put more than 3 DDs. Good luck, I am sure it will work out in the end.

i took step 2cs on wednesday august 10 in atlanta. i was nervous and antsy. I repeated some questions and at times forgot to ask relevant questions. i was frequently tongue-tied. sometimes, i would remember a qustion and ask it later. my differential list usually had ffom 3-5 differentials. i was empathetc. I spoke as clearly as possible. some patients seemed "agitated" and snapped a question at me - "can we get this treated? i want to get it done soon..." i usually made decent closures, spoke clearly when i could.

how exactly is this graded? i checked the usmle website and it gave a criteria. i dont want to fail. i wonder if i failed the SEP portion and the data gathering portion because i forgot to ask some questions.

so i think i failed step 2cs. i get the report in oct 12 and i cant re-register again. what should i do?

hello lavodnas,thx for the reassurance. i know i cant do anything about it. but i dont want to fail b/c it would look bad and may prevent residency.

i dont know. but atm, i'm focusing on other priorties. i hope u passed your exam.

**EDIT: has anybody done the above mistakes and passed CS?

Last edited:

(1) Do you speak english? You passed.
(2) Did you read Step 2 Cs? you passed.
(3) Did you violate any orifice that you should not have? Variable.
(4) # of attempts means DIDDLY for residency applications. Get a 252 on Step 1 and 2 and you're in.