Failing step2ck and residency consequences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmancubfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys-

I am in a little bit of a funk right now, this morning I found out I failed step 2ck on my first attempt. I already turned in all my ERAS info, have 7 interviews lined up, one I just got offered today ironically, and I indicated on my ERAS application to report my USMLE info. So I was wondering if anyone can answer my burning question---AM I TOTALLY SCREWED???? I am worried that programs that have offered interviews are gonna retract them now, or if they still see me they will not consider me. I am aware that the 60 day min. requirement for retake has been eliminated and I plan to take it again in 4 weeks. Most of my interviews are before my retake so they will all see my current failing score. I am just wondering what happened to those of you who were in the same boat as me when you were applying? Please send a ray of hope to this wayward soul-but do not spare the truth grenades either, I would like to know what to expect--is it scramble or bust?

Take care ya'll,
medmancubfan

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully the interviews will not be retracted. Anyway, do a search. This is probably the 4th or 5th thread I've seen with this type of title in the past month. Study for this one. Yes it's easier than one, but I guess you realize it ain't that easy. Good luck.

Hey medmancufan

I am in same situation as u. On 5th Sept , I got the bad news that I failed by 1 point. i have been so depressed since then. when I saw the email that my score was available, i was happy coz i thought my score has got reported early, which wud improve my chances of getting an interview

Anyway, since I am an IMG, i am thinking of giving my full at this test again. So i am pinning my hopes on next year. II gave this test with just 2 month part time prep, erhaps thats why i failed

So now a long prep may be required.

Take ur decision, if u r an IMG I wud advise u to not go in for test in 4 week as the chances of getting a residency are low and screwing up again are high

btw if u dont mind what was ur score in step1

Members don't see this ad :)
how did all of you feel while taking the exam? were you surprised?

I have heard that once you have your interview, even if your scores are bad (depending on the program-if top tier, probably doesn't apply) you can win them over then...

Frankly speaking, I was happier during step2 CK exam than during step1. I came out of it feeling much better than I felt after step1. In step 1 I got so many thing which I hadnt heard of, i was just marking without any knowledge, but in CK, i felt i knew most of thing. Further I had feeling after step 1 that i might fail but ended up getting 88/213.
After CK, i never thought i wud fail, rather i thought that since i felt i had performed better than step1 , i thought i would get better scores. But result shocked me totally.....still i cannot beleive me that i failed although by 1 point.
Another thing is thatsome of my friends who got their scores(2 digit) in mid nineties got their scores in CK reduced by around 10-17 points, i dont know what is the reason.....they took the exam at around same time as me and at same center. God knows whats really wrong.

medmancubfan, its ur wish...............i would recommend u prepare more. But if u r a non IMG, perhaps u can take another shot in a month. For me, i wont like to just pass, i would like to score good atleast. I think I failed perhaps i prepared for too less just to match this year...........