Aug 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys i'm supposed to be taking my DAT next week but I am totally not prepared. I was supposed to dedicate the summer to studying but so much happened that I fell behind and then my anxiety took over and it has been so hard to study. I haven't been able to do any of the full practice tests and I am not doing good in any of the single subject ones. I am terrified of telling my parents that I want to cancel my appointment and just take the test next semester since I am not even applying this cycle. I don't know if I should just take it now and then just take it again of if that will look bad on my application. Please help.

Apr 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
You can reschedule it and take it within a 6 month period of when you signed up. You gotta pay a $60 fee though.

Don't take it if you're not ready tho some schools look at your bad attempt too.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hey guys i'm supposed to be taking my DAT next week but I am totally not prepared. I was supposed to dedicate the summer to studying but so much happened that I fell behind and then my anxiety took over and it has been so hard to study. I haven't been able to do any of the full practice tests and I am not doing good in any of the single subject ones. I am terrified of telling my parents that I want to cancel my appointment and just take the test next semester since I am not even applying this cycle. I don't know if I should just take it now and then just take it again of if that will look bad on my application. Please help.
Don't do it reschedule! Talk to your parents, explain to them you are not ready and taking the DAT and failing as you stated is much worse than rescheduling.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy

Reactions: katemgv

futureteethdriller

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2017
I was in the same situation, and also had to have the dreaded convo with my parents about moving my test date back. It was the best decision to wait to take the DAT until I knew I was ready. If you don't know the information, the test will not go well, and you will have to retake it, it's as simple as that. I used the DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer, and learned all of the information in the book. It took me a few months to master the concepts, but I scored well on the DAT, and got into my first choice school. I highly recommend waiting until you are ready!

ChemistryDentist

Almost there!
Apr 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
You definitely have to reschedule--have that conversation with your parents ASAP. Rescheduling may cost some money, but nowhere near the cost you paid for the test. And I agree completely with @ab117--one good score looks much better than a bad score and a good score.

Also, make sure you're not only doing practice tests for the sections. You need to work problems, but you definitely need to know the concepts o have a foundation in order to score well. I'm always an advocate for the Destroyers, but you should also use things from college as well to help.

RSX JDM Integra

DMD, MS
10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Definitely reschedule if you're not applying this cycle. If you just wing it, bear in mind that you only have 3 chances to take this and you want to do it once only.

No reason to rush it if you're not applying this cycle. Take the time you need and build confidence.

Mar 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
It's much better to take your time than to have bad scores on your record! Never take the DAT just to see what it's like.

HKSZYU

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Rescheduling my DAT was one of the best decisions I made in the dental application process. Especially if you're not applying this cycle, what's the rush?

Do your content review, hit the DAT destroyer and DAT Bootcamp, and do some practice tests. The DAT is definitely something you can conquer, but going into it unprepared is a recipe for disaster that will hurt your application and morale.

Reactions: katemgv