failing USMLE Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorlarry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently learned of a 180 on step 3 (184 is min passing). She took it before starting internship.
What repercussions if any are there now that this is on her record? Will this interfere with preexisting contracts with her residency program? How about fellowship training?
I hope to ease her mind. Thanks to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

doctorlarry said:

I am not too clear, was it a prerequisite for a visa issue? if so then might have to reapply next year, OR if the program is sympathetic then it will let her rough it out.... but if she already has an internship lined up, then why would it even matter at all and whatsoever? I dont think that it should matter at all whether or not she passed if it was before intern year and no visa issues, just my two cents.......
contrary to what is said on the net, that is one hard as hell examination. MD examination with the ccs, you could know all of the great medicine and general knowledge in the world, but if your ccs patients fall like dominos, you are screwed and have to retake the test more than likely. It is very hard to pass, and the highest failing test for IMGs by far, even higher than step I. 61% pass on the first attempt, those that aced the IM boards easily, couldnt pass step 3 on the first chance.

andwhat said:
I am not too clear, was it a prerequisite for a visa issue? if so then might have to reapply next year, OR if the program is sympathetic then it will let her rough it out.... but if she already has an internship lined up, then why would it even matter at all and whatsoever? I dont think that it should matter at all whether or not she passed if it was before intern year and no visa issues, just my two cents.......
contrary to what is said on the net, that is one hard as hell examination. MD examination with the ccs, you could know all of the great medicine and general knowledge in the world, but if your ccs patients fall like dominos, you are screwed and have to retake the test more than likely. It is very hard to pass, and the highest failing test for IMGs by far, even higher than step I. 61% pass on the first attempt, those that aced the IM boards easily, couldnt pass step 3 on the first chance.
Thank you for your response. Yes she is an American IMG (no Visa required) with stellar Step 1 and 2, just started here intern year. Results of step 3 came back as fail. She's just worried this might somehow affect her future in any way. She will likely pass it the next time around. Anyone else with insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
doctorlarry said:
Thank you for your response. Yes she is an American IMG (no Visa required) with stellar Step 1 and 2, just started here intern year. Results of step 3 came back as fail. She's just worried this might somehow affect her future in any way. She will likely pass it the next time around. Anyone else with insight?

This will not likely affect her future in any way at all. Most all states give you at LEAST 3 tries to pass and some are unlimited. so don't worry about it.

later

If entering into the residency program was not contingent on Step 3, there should be no problem. Just know that more and more residencies are requiring Step 3 either prior to graduation, or prior to the second or third year depending on the program. She should aim to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

Your friend should speak with her program director as that person can advise her of how this will affect her future with the program. If her entrance into the program was contingent upon passing USMLE Step III and they allowed her to start without having a passing score, likely this has no repercussions other than having to shell out more money and spend more time preparing for this nuisance of an exam. Since there is no Visa issues, it is likely a non-issue other than the time and money.

Your friend should speak with her program director.

Never, ever. In a perfect world that would be the logical thing to do. But in the real world this is the worst thing she could do. You do NOT bring negatives to the fore. She'll retake it and pass it and lay it to rest. This is not productive at all.

Let her reexamine what areas might be strengthened. She's so close; most likely she'll pass it on the next attempt.

Good luck!

Nu

Never, ever. In a perfect world that would be the logical thing to do. But in the real world this is the worst thing she could do. You do NOT bring negatives to the fore. She'll retake it and pass it and lay it to rest. This is not productive at all.

Let her reexamine what areas might be strengthened. She's so close; most likely she'll pass it on the next attempt.

Good luck!

Nu

Your PD is NOT the enemy. This person is going to sign off on everything that has to do with your residency. Believe me, if there are any things that are negative about this intern, the PD already knows about them.

Your PD is NOT the enemy. This person is going to sign off on everything that has to do with your residency. Believe me, if there are any things that are negative about this intern, the PD already knows about them.

I wouldnt go for the PD either... would speak with the Program Coordinator.

OK, it's not my job to convince you. I'm only offering advice. It being the net, everything, unfortunately, is suspect. The only thing I'm saying is, if the program does not have a requirement concerning Step 3 and the time frame to pass it, there is no need to mention it at all. This is not deceit, it's just practical. Especially if she's an IMG.

I'm sorry, but too often that is the reality.

I wish you well,

Nu

TWO of my classmates failed....and both of them did great on steps 1 and 2.

I was terrified after taking Step 3, based upon how frigging impossible the MCq'a were, as compared to Steps 1 and 2 but I did well.

Like most of you, I didnt have a lot of time to prepare for this thing,....but what I used....was perfect.

TWO of my classmates failed....and both of them did great on steps 1 and 2.

I was terrified after taking Step 3, based upon how frigging impossible the MCq'a were, as compared to Steps 1 and 2 but I did well.

Like most of you, I didnt have a lot of time to prepare for this thing,....but what I used....was perfect.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I noticed that the person talking up the CD has the same first name as the seller of the CD. (See other threads.) He also originally quoted a $50 price tag just a couple of weeks ago and now it's $75. Something just doesn't seem to jive. Or perhaps I've become too cynical. :)

In any event, I wish all Step 3 test takers all the best. May you soon bury this miserable test sequence.

Nu

IMO step 3 is the hardest of the 3 steps! Strong medicine was a great resource!

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I noticed that the person talking up the CD has the same first name as the seller of the CD. (See other threads.) He also originally quoted a $50 price tag just a couple of weeks ago and now it's $75. Something just doesn't seem to jive. Or perhaps I've become too cynical. :)

In any event, I wish all Step 3 test takers all the best. May you soon bury this miserable test sequence.

Nu

NuMD..............I think you may be a little cynical.

We are a small company with very little start-up capital trying to survive in an enviroment that is tough to crack. Kaplan, McGraw Hill and USMLEWORLD pretty much have the market cornered. Please address me through PM's if you have any suspicions as to the legitiamcy of our product. We have been working very hard lately to get off the ground, and you would be surprised how little comments such as your previous post can kill a reputation.

As I said we are small and don't have a lot of caplital and have to rely on word of mouth and forums for our advertizing...........until we sell enough CD's, to genereate advertizing revenue and people start to see what a great product it is, for news to travel.

Sounds like you may be interested in buying this CD.

Yes, we increased the price from $50 to $75 because the first string of scores came back from the first customers who bought our program............and they scored really high!

As far as having the same name, we are a family business and I don't think we are the first set of brothers to share the same last name. :laugh:

Great companies have to start somewhere!

I said same FIRST name, not the same LAST name. Stop twisting what I'm saying. A second thing I noticed is that the same screen name keeps coming up on these various posts. I see others have noticed it, too.

In the interest of full disclosure you might have mentioned that this "awesome" CD was produced by yourselves. And it may very well be good, but you might have mentioned your connections with the production of same at the same time you posted your ads.

That's all I'm saying.

Nu

I said same FIRST name, not the same LAST name. Stop twisting what I'm saying. A second thing I noticed is that the same screen name keeps coming up on these various posts. I see others have noticed it, too.

In the interest of full disclosure you might have mentioned that this "awesome" CD was produced by yourselves. And it may very well be good, but you might have mentioned your connections with the production of same at the same time you posted your ads.

That's all I'm saying.

Nu

Yes Sir!

doctorlarry
This should not affect her program standing unless she is in OREGON where you must get UNRESTRICTED license to move past PGY1. I think other programs are starting to do this, California I think requires Step 3 after PGY1 I could be wrong.

Most states give you 3 attempts is correct - however ALASKA gives you ONE shot at Step 3. So she likely would have to get some kind of Board waiver to practice up there, not exactly a high demand state.

In summary, it shouldn't matter a bit. If she failed it 3 times then she would have some serious limitations on practice location in the future.

See the attached chart of state requirements:

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html