Failure in IReland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDOc?!?

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been reading msg's on all the international topics for so long now, and I have noticed that no one has ever mentioned that they did NOT get accepted or even given an interview for Ireland Medical School. I'm curious to know if there are any out there who are still trying to become a doctor???? Everytime I read something about IReland on this site, someone is either offered an interview, is already in the school or is planning to apply to the school.

Or does anyone know if there is a big rejection rate at the medical schools in Ireland for their 6 yr. program??

Thanks

[This message has been edited by futureDOc?!? (edited 02-03-2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you are asking about how competitive it is to get into the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, but I will say this... When I spoke to the referee in charge of the Atlantic Bridge Program (the program through which you apply to the RCSI) he said that they receive 10 applications for every North American spot. He said last year the applications got "out of hand", so this year they wanted to limit the number of applications. Don't know exactly what all that means, but I took it to mean that the program is fairly competitive.
I am also looking at the list of univeristies from which some of the Atlantic Bridge program participants attended for ungergrad. The list includes Harvard, UC- Berkeley, U of Southern Cal, Johns Hopkins, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell, George Washington U, Tulane, U of North Carolina, Georgetown, U of Virginia, NYU, Boston U, Notre Dame, Tufts, Texas A&M, U of Michigan, Duke, Wake Forest, Brown, UCLA, Penn State, Brighman Young, Vanderbilt, Colgate, MIT, Adelphi, Purdue, and many other universities and colleges. So, it seems that many students attending the RCSI came from prominent undergrads. I can't see that the program could not be competitive with students coming from these schools. But I will certainly tell you for myself when I come back from my Feb 12th interview with the RCSI in NYC. Good luck...

I am curently stuyding at rcsi i am a canadian who applied for the school and i am not going to bs you it is not easy getting in but grades are not the only thing though, personality really counts. The interview and extra curiclular activites are important, and if your grades are not the best (they have to be respectable) you will stand a fighting chance

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here's the scoop on the RCSI interview, if anyone is interested. I just had my interview yesterday in NYC at the Sheraton. The 2 gentlemen who interviewed me were very friendly and warm. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of the usual questions- Why RCSI? Why medicine? What do you do in your spare time? It was enjoyable, although I don't think I was in top form- I kept thinking about how much money it would cost to go there.
frown.gif
The referee, Peter, who was not involved in the interview, was great. He was very informative and interesting to talk to. He said that about 20-30% of applicants are invited for interview and 40-50% of interviewees are chosen for acceptance. I will find out in 2 weeks if I was accepted. The interviewers will come back in April and June to conduct more interviews in NYC. If anyone has any other questions about the interview, feel free to post or e-mail me. Good luck...

Hi. I posted a reply before but I don't see it posted for some reason so I'm replying again. I applied to rcsi in december but I didn't hear anything yet about an interview. What did you think of the school from what you learned in the interview aside from the fact that it was expensive? Also, how do you know it will be only 2 weeks before they let you know? Did they give you any hint that things were looking good for you? I'm wondering if they indicate to people on interviews whether or not they could expect to be admitted. Would you consider going to that school if you are offered admission?

I thought the school sounded great. Peter, the referee for the Atlantic Bridge Program, told me that I would hear about a decision in 2 weeks. They are planning to interview more applicants in April and June, so you might be getting an interview then. I applied in November, so maybe that's why I already got an interview. Yes, I would consider going there, but I'd like to go to Dublin and check it out first to make sure. If there is anything else you'd like to know, just ask. The interview is nice, not high pressure. I only met 2 other interviewees and both seemed intelligent and mature- I think it will be difficult for the interviewers to pick who to accept. Best of luck...

Could you please tell me what the first and last names are of the men who interviewed you? I also had an interview with them on Feb 13th but I neglected to write down their names. I'd appreciate it if you could give them to me. Good Luck to you too!

I know Johnson was one of them and the other was something like Windsor or Winston...it started with a W anyway. Are you sending thank you notes? What did you think? Are you planning on going there if you are accepted?

It was Alan johnson and Kenny Windsor. Windsor is a prof for premed physics and is an awesome teacher and a really nice guy. I was not interviewed by him, but I am sure he made things easier on you. In responce to what it is like living in Ireland, i can only say one thing, amazing. Everything here is different, but in a way one can grow to appreiate. (sorry about the spelling) The only thing i miss other than friends and family is the LEAFS. If you get in, don not turn it down for fears of living in Dublin. I grew up in Toronto and Miami, and I was worried about being so far from home. But within a week, those worries vanished. Best of luck getting in.

Mojo MD, you are the one I've been hoping to talk to! I really wanted to hear from someone who goes to school there now. So it sounds like you are enjoying your experience. How is the workload? What are your classmates like? What year are you? I am really hoping I get accepted. Do you remember how long it took for you to be accepted after your interview? Thanks and take care.

It is a really long story as to how i applied. I will tell you now that the school is amazing. There are about 200 in my class and about 40 of them are pre-physio. (i might have to get some done on my shoulder because i ripped a tendon today. It hurt like a bitch!!) The city is amazing. I have never seen so may bars per block than in dublin. There are also a bunch of nice clubs. (love those ladies) The school load is for me quite tuff. I am not used to working hard. You will have to work but if you have a strong backround in chem and bio its fine. I didnt but am somehow managing. The people here are great. I still do miss my friends back home, but I have made friends here so its all good. The curriculum is bio, chem and physics. They are all related to medicine, or essential for later. Organic sucks!! Half way through the course we started to look at the systems of the body. For example in bio, we would do the heart, blood circulation yada yada yada, in chem we would do the structure of heamaglobin, spinstates, binding sites yada yada yada, and in physics, we would look at pressure and different equasions that apply to liquids. If u have any questions email me at [email protected]

Did you apply to RCSI right out of high school? What year are you in now? Also, what is the average age of the students?

I know that they said it would be around two weeks before they would be sending out acceptances, etc. for the RCSI Bridge Program. Has anyone heard anything yet?

I don't know of anyone who heard anything yet. Were you interviewed? Would you go there if accepted?