Failure rate?

Started by blue2222
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blue2222

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious how often does someone fail out of medical school or leave a BS/MD program because of overwhleming pressure at a young age?
 
I was just curious how often does someone fail out of medical school or leave a BS/MD program because of overwhleming pressure at a young age?

For US med schools, the attrition rate DUE TO ACADEMIC REASONS, is very low at <6% within 7yrs post-matriculation (7yrs accounts for those in combined degree programs).

Now u mentioned overwhelming pressure, if u meant academic pressure, then those r the numbers...
 
I don't have the stats, but if the 6% is overall rate of quitting or failing plus those who are kicked out, I think that the attrition rate on average is going to be higher for the 6 year BS/MD programs. At least for some of them. You would have to find out from the particular schools, if they would tell you.
 
I was just curious how often does someone fail out of medical school or leave a BS/MD program because of overwhleming pressure at a young age?

I have no clue about BS/MD programs. For med school I think the stats when I attended were that about 5% don't complete US allo med school, and of that, only about 1.5 - 2% are for academic reasons (ie failed out). However a not insubstantial number of people at some schools will fail a major exam, a course, or even a whole year, and have to remediate, which may extend med school. Most schools give you multiple chances to fix things, so it's actually pretty hard to fail out.