texas110477

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just wondering how many classes can someone fail while in OD school before getting kicked out? If you retake that same class and fail it the second time around do you get kicked out? Is there a certain GPA that you have to hold per semster ie "C's mean degrees". Does most of the entering class graduate? Is there a higher graduation % in the OD schools than say dentistry?

WoodyJI

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
At OSU, if you fail one class, then you'll have to re-take the entire year. They don't kick you out of the program, but you're going to end up paying extra tuition. I think if you fail again you're out of the program, but you might be able to petition to be let back in. There's also a gpa level that you must uphold, and that bottom gpa requirement gets higher as you move up in class rank.

I'm not sure how it compares to dentistry. I know in med school they have some forms of remediation available, but no such thing exists currently at OSU Optometry.

texas110477

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
At OSU, if you fail one class, then you'll have to re-take the entire year. They don't kick you out of the program, but you're going to end up paying extra tuition. I think if you fail again you're out of the program, but you might be able to petition to be let back in. There's also a gpa level that you must uphold, and that bottom gpa requirement gets higher as you move up in class rank.

I'm not sure how it compares to dentistry. I know in med school they have some forms of remediation available, but no such thing exists currently at OSU Optometry.

thanks for the info

About the Ads

SarahNC

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
at pco, if you fail a class, you have to take a remedial course the following summer that can bring your grade up to a C i believe.

texas110477

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
at pco, if you fail a class, you have to take a remedial course the following summer that can bring your grade up to a C i believe.

so pretty much 100% of the freshman class graduates? What is the pass rate on the OD boards?

Last edited:

SarahNC

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
No, they are just giving you a change to make up a course you were weak in. If you do it in several courses, they are going to put you on academic probation, mandate your class attendance, or dismiss you. The numbers vary from year to year on the board rates, but its always higher than the national average.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.