cmuhooligan

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Diego
Status
Psychologist
Hey fellow applicants,

I was just curious what your time frame is for internship stuff. I have been working on cleaning up my C.V. over the last few weeks, but I won't be able to do any heavy lifting (e.g., essays) until this summer. And I probably won't write my site specific essays until the fall (because my list won't be finalized until then due to manuscripts being up in the air)...Oh, I do have a tentative list of about 18 sites, but, so much is riding on how my manuscripts fair in the review process this summer :confused:

Other Related Internship Threads
Internship Advice
What It Takes To Get An APA Internship
2008 Internship Match Results
2007 Match Statistics
2007 Internship Interview Thread
Cost of Travel For Internship Interviews
Internship Ranking / Matching Discussion
Discussion Of Match Rates
DUI / APPIC Question
Discussion On Limiting To A Geographic Area
Discussion on # of Publications For Internship Applicants
How Long Does It Take To Get Licensed?
Applying For Internship Early
Prestigious Internship Discussion
General Q's @ Internship / Post-Doc / Licensure

I'll add more as I go along. -t

psychanon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Psychology Student
Right now I'm browsing the APPIC directory from time to time, but sort of in a wistful, hmm-this-might-be-cool kind of way-- I haven't assembled a list or anything, although I have a tentative, incomplete mental list. Other than that I am mainly working on collecting data for my dissertation and trying to shoot off a few more pubs before I apply. Around the beginning of the summer I'll start getting more serious about things, which means sitting down with my BF and figuring out where we could both live and reading those site webpages a lot more thoroughly. And I might start on revising my c.v. and calculating my hours around then also. I won't start on the essays until substantially after that...maybe late summer/ early fall. I think this timeline should leave me a bit ahead of the game without letting me get all obsessive about it.

BellaPsyD

Correctional Psychologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Los Angeles/Chicago/Memphis
Status
Psychologist
wow- I'm not even going to think about it for another month!

PS- how does one work this with their SO...moving so another place and them still working....etc?

About the Ads

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
-Always give yourself more time with the essays, between the editing and OCD tendencies they antagonize, it will take you awhile.

-I'm not sure when the print book comes out, but it seems like most people get it....even though it is $60 or so? I like marking things and all of that, and the online info is great, but takes a few more steps to sort through and whatnot.

psy86

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
Status
I'm thinking of a similar timeframe as psychanon's, except that I'll probably start the essays a bit earlier in the summer, since I'd like to have time for lots of drafts.

For now, fantasizing about getting out of here and procrastinating by looking at internship websites is a good form of distraction. :)

Cosmo75

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Chicago
Status
Post Doc
I concur with T4C on the essays. They're tougher than you expect. Have many people read them.

PS- how does one work this with their SO...moving so another place and them still working....etc?
I'm pretty settled in my life (own a house, getting hitched next month) so we agreed that he wouldn't move if I had to relocate. I live in Chicago which is a pretty competitive market for internships. So I had to be realistic and apply outside of the area. I did a geographic circle around here basically, except for 1 site in Georgia. I basically picked sites in cities that were easy to get to, either by car or short flight. Thankfully I matched in Chicago :D

Psycycle

Psychologist, ABPP
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Status
Psychologist
I concur with T4C on the essays. They're tougher than you expect. Have many people read them.

I'm pretty settled in my life (own a house, getting hitched next month) so we agreed that he wouldn't move if I had to relocate. I live in Chicago which is a pretty competitive market for internships. So I had to be realistic and apply outside of the area. I did a geographic circle around here basically, except for 1 site in Georgia. I basically picked sites in cities that were easy to get to, either by car or short flight. Thankfully I matched in Chicago :D
I'm glad to read of this strategy - I'm facing trying to balance internship with my husband's job in a year. So I'm guessing I'll be following a similar route. Congratulations on matching in Chicago!!

psychanon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Psychology Student
wow- I'm not even going to think about it for another month!

It's no fun. Most of the internships around where I am now are not good matches for me (although a couple are), so I will most likely have to relocate. My SO doesn't mind the idea of relocating, as he doesn't love this area, but it'll be hard for him to get a job for one year (or perhaps more if it leads to postdoc)...worst comes to worst, we'll just be long distance for a year, which would suck but such is life. I hate how they have this hurdle which requires you to uproot your life at an age when most people are settling down!

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
^ I agree!!

where do I buy the new book at? How outdated is it if I were to purchase the old one form last year?
I can't remember when they go on sale...sometime this spring, going into summer IIRC. You can probably find a used one for cheap...BUT, it won't have 'new' sites and some sites may not be offering spots. For the extra $20-$30, I think it is worth having the most up to date information.....considering you are using it as the primary place to decide on a training site.

Acanthus

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
In my program we are required to take an Internship Prep seminar that starts about a year before we apply for internship. I thought it might be a little premature to be thinking about essays and preparing the AAPI, but it's actually been very useful. The more you can prepare now the better! Especially with the essays - as others have said, they're harder than you think, and you definitely want to write several drafts. Even the AAPI itself takes time, with all the documentation of clinical hours/ client contacts.

Anyway, that's my timeframe...I have the first draft of my essays and AAPI done and will do at least two more by fall.

Cosmo75

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Chicago
Status
Post Doc
Just 1 little tidbit, the APPIC application doesn't work with spell check with any information typed into that annoying little gray box. So proof read, have someone else proof read, then do it again. I had 1 type-o on my app that I found after most had gone out. I still matched, but my god it about sent me over the edge :oops:

About the Ads