Fall 2021: What are my chances of getting into an MPH Epidemiology program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amrit34

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this site and the whole MPH admissions process and I thought I'd post this here before I submit my SOPHAS application. I'm from Northern Virginia/DC and I'm applying to MPH Epidemiology programs at GWU, GMU, UVA, Virginia Tech, VCU, UNC, BU, and Brown University. I'm basically finished with the SOPHAS application, and I just would like to get some opinions from people regarding my chances of getting into any of these schools. Please feel free to share your credentials if you're a prospective MPH student like myself if you'd like. Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Undergraduate School (2016-2020): Virginia Tech
Major: BS in Biochemistry
GPA: 3.31
GRE : 310 (Quantitative and Verbal). None of the schools I'm applying to require the scores.

Experience:
-Currently working full-time as a Laboratory Assistant at AstraZeneca (5 months thus far)
-1 semester as a Life Sciences Intern at General Electric Healthcare
-1 year as an Undergraduate Research student studying quantitative genetics
-2 months-long summer research project in Germany designing a conceptual bioreactor
-2 years volunteering with Virginia Tech's community service organization doing projects related to public health and disaster relief in the Appalachian region
-1 year as an Undergraduate Life Sciences Mentor for freshmen.
-3 months summer experience volunteering at a hospital

Letters of Recommendation: My undergraduate research professor, biostatistics professor, and GE internship supervisor wrote letters for me, and I had very solid professional relationships with each of them.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great chance of getting in, especially BU and GWU. I’ve seen many people on here with similar experience/stats get in. I think your quant skills will definitely work in your favor.

You should also add this to the MPH/ MSPH 2021 thread! That’s where all of these are posted. You can also check out the 2020 thread to give you a better idea of the stats of those who’ve gone through the process.

Reactions: 1 user