Fall Admission Only? Spring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear0651

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if Optometry schools only admit students one time a year (in the fall semester)? Or do they accept students 2 times a year (in the spring semester) as well?

Members don't see this ad.

They work on a rolling admissions basis. So they shall continue to accept people until the class is full. Have you applied yet?

I think what bear is asking is if OD schools allow first years to begin in the spring instead of the fall. (If I'm wrong, tell me and I'll shut up! lol)

If that is your question - as far as I know, none of them begin in the spring. I was wondering this too b/c I'm graduating a semester early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes JMU07, you are correct. I am going to be graduating after my Fall 08 semester of undergrad and I was wondering if I would be able to attend optometry school in the spring of 09. So it looks like what you are saying JMU is that Optometry schools don't allow students to start untill the fall. This means that I will have to do nothing for a semester and wait till the fall of 09 to go to Optometry school. Any suggestions on when I should apply or take the OAT under my circumstances?

1. Take the OAT ASAP. This way if you do well enough, you have it done and if you don't do well enough, you have plenty of time to study and take it again.

2. Start securing your letters of recommendation right now. The earlier the better, you'll always have at least one that lags and takes longer than the others.

3. Start shadowing OD's in different settings and don't stop. The more observation hours you have, the better.

4. Study up about the profession. Knowledge about Optometry will be invaluable during your interviews.

5. Get your applications organized, ready, and turned in on the first day that that particular school accepts applications.

In other words, do everything EARLY. Start now, I wish I would have had someone to pass that advice on to me, it would make for a much less stressful application process for me!

Yeah that's me as well. I am graduating in the Fall of 2009 and applying for the fall of 2010. As far as I know I don't believe that optometry schools allow you to enroll in the Spring. It has to be Fall if I am correct (someone correct me if I am not). I am planning on taking the OAT sometime in the Fall of 2008 and applying as soon as I can in the summer of 2009 for next fall. I would try to take your OAT this summer and get your apps in line at that time as well. That way you can get them in right away and you don't have to worry about it. As far as my semester to do nothing?? I am hopefully going to go to Antartica. :D No seriously I really want to.

There are a lot of things you can do during your spring semester off - lots of good suggestions have been made :) As for me - I'm taking the OAT in 3 months, applying this summer, graduating in December and then using my time to WORK and save money (hopefully for my OD since I work there during summers, if not mine then whoever will give me a job). Good luck with everything!

Sorry guys I don't know what I was thinking with the reply earlier. I read the post very quick. HAHA anyway as far as I know they do not accept in the spring. I would try get the OAT done early so if you need to retake it you have time since there is a 90 day wait period between tests. Also try get as much shadowing or work with OD's as you can. I was advised by schools to try shadow for as many different practice settings (private, group, individual, retail such as lenscrafter.....etc) as possible so as to grasp an idea of what optometry is as a whole. Also try get your apps in asap after the opening dates which are usually in August and September for most schools. Hope this helps you!!! Good luck.

Sorry guys I don't know what I was thinking with the reply earlier. I read the post very quick. HAHA anyway as far as I know they do not accept in the spring. I would try get the OAT done early so if you need to retake it you have time since there is a 90 day wait period between tests. Also try get as much shadowing or work with OD's as you can. I was advised by schools to try shadow for as many different practice settings (private, group, individual, retail such as lenscrafter.....etc) as possible so as to grasp an idea of what optometry is as a whole. Also try get your apps in asap after the opening dates which are usually in August and September for most schools. Hope this helps you!!! Good luck.[/quot

So hypothetically speaking you would have to apply in the fall of 08 (August and September) to be accepted to attend Optometry school in the following fall (09)?

So hypothetically speaking you would have to apply in the fall of 08 (August and September) to be accepted to attend Optometry school in the following fall (09)?[/quote]

As far as I know most of the schools application dates start in August and September. Because the admissions is on a rolling basis, it is alwasy best to apply early as it is a little less competitive with all the seats still open. If you want to start in fall 09 then the best time to apply would be as soon as the application dates open up in 2008 (most likely Aug-Sept). You can however apply at anytime once the apps open up. Hope this helps you.

So hypothetically speaking you would have to apply in the fall of 08 (August and September) to be accepted to attend Optometry school in the following fall (09)?

Yeah, you're right. As far as the OAT goes, I feel like a lot of people take it in the fall while they're applying, but i'm graduating in the fall like you are and the last thing I want to worry about while I'm finishing up my degree is studying for that dang test, so I'm taking it this spring, a couple weeks after finals :) Just a suggestion - do what's best for you!