thebozz1975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Status
Getting A's in Calc I and II is much more impressive than A's in Orgo or Anatomy -- as far as showing ACTUAL INTELLIGENCE versus ability to memorize. Take that for whatever it means to you and your situation.

sks2286

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Anatomy and physiology will benefit you more the dat. Its a pre req at some dental schools too and is always recommended that you take it. I would rather take that then calc. In my opinion calc can be taken senior year and is kinda of useless.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
I recommend taking Calculus later since you don't like math. Reasons:
1) DAT math is not calculus it is algebra and geometry based with some probability.
2) Taking it now may adversely affect your performance on the prereqs
3) Your GPA will be less impacted with more courses under your belt later on from a lackluster calculus grade.

Also Anatomy and Physiology is not an easy course to take, there is going to be a fair amount for an undergrad to memorize. I think you should think long and hard about taking such a course with Orgo.

Isn't completion of general Biology sequence a requirement for Anatomy and Physiology?

OP
D

DKBuono

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status

Last edited:

caffeinehigh

Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2007
Status
Dentist
I would delay calculus until later in your career... take it 2nd semester senior year or something ha

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
I disagree with delaying calculus. Calculus helps your algebra and trig skills far more than anything. You can memorize the needed stuff from Anat and phys, but building mathematics skills is much more time consuming. The skills of algebraic manipulation, trig solving abilities, and just being comfortable with math overal will help the QR section. That's my 2/100 of a dollar.

Fonz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Dental Student
It depends on when you wanna take the DAT. I would want to take A&P closer to taking the DAT so its fresh in ur mind. I think taking calc early is better just so you can "get it over with" because I hated calc too and it also was just a requirement for my bio major. Luckily for us it was only worth 3 units a quarter so if you didnt do so hot it really didnt affect your gpa much.

OP
D

DKBuono

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status

Last edited:

swtcatastrophe

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
if i had the opportunity to take A&P, i would have. however, won't putting off Calc make it harder because you'll be more removed from the math you know now? i would say take Calc and then take A&P later on. you've just finished your first year and will have time before dental school to take A&P. if you anticipate having problems with Calc, then i would recommend the schaum's review books. they have extra problems in there and it certainly helped me to have an extra way to think about it. there may also be tutors available, either for free or for pay, depending on how your math department works.

La Dentista

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I wouldn't delay the calc. It'll be harder to reconnect to math if you take a complete break from it. I hated math too but I realized if I put in the effort... no matter what math it was, I could get an A.
Maybe if you could also talk to a different advisor, I can switch mine around if I want -- I'm sure you have some kind of option like that.