fall semester grade udpates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glazedonutlove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For non rolling schools that don't give any decisions till spring, do they expect us to update with fall semester grades? Would we send an official transcript? @Goro @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha I'm taking a light load. Just on that senior year no class lots of ethanol time

Reactions: 1 user
It is at best a minor thing.

Very few items are worth an update letter: most can wait for interview.

Some items that would be worthy are:

Paper accepted for publication
Invitation to present at conference
Winning a worthy award
Successful completion of some major project or event (eg summer research at NIH)
No I mean after the interviews

Oh, I misunderstood. That is a different question with nuance and issues

The answer is either "No" or "Hell, no"

Seriously, no, it will not matter
So basically make sure you're not bombing classes (i.e. getting B's or better) and you'll be fine?

This probably won't make any substantial difference in their decision, but if you really really want to send an update and this is the only thing you have to offer (hopefully there are other things you can include too), I don't think it will necessarily hurt.

alright, makes sense! I will send an update with grades (if they are good) and hopefully a publication

This probably won't make any substantial difference in their decision, but if you really really want to send an update and this is the only thing you have to offer (hopefully there are other things you can include too), I don't think it will necessarily hurt.
Is it usually recommended to try to send in update letters with substantive updates if at all possible? I hadn't really planned on sending updates.

Is it usually recommended to try to send in update letters with substantive updates if at all possible? I hadn't really planned on sending updates.

I would send updates if you have anything substantial to add. This can be anything from a publication/presentation to the work you've completed on your senior thesis to what you've accomplished during your gap year since you applied. It's just nice for them to know you haven't spent the entire year doing nothing but sitting on your hands or shotgunning beers.

Some schools request that you send updates (you'll know about it if they do) while others don't want them at all (and they'll tell you that too).

I would send updates if you have anything substantial to add. This can be anything from a publication/presentation to the work you've completed on your senior thesis to what you've accomplished during your gap year since you applied. It's just nice for them to know you haven't spent the entire year doing nothing but sitting on your hands or shotgunning beers.

Some schools request that you send updates (you'll know about it if they do) while others don't want them at all (and they'll tell you that too).
Hmm I had a research presentation at the end of August that I wasn't able to touch on in my interviews and wasn't stated in my AMCAS, would this be acceptable? I feel it is something good to mention, but it was already over a month ago.

Hmm I had a research presentation at the end of August that I wasn't able to touch on in my interviews and wasn't stated in my AMCAS, would this be acceptable? I feel it is something good to mention, but it was already over a month ago.
was it a conference?

so these updates are separate from letters of intent? which are meant for waitlist right?

was it a conference?
Not a conference, no. Besides that my grad student I worked with left so I'm in limbo with research, and not much else has happened that would be significant enough to write an update letter about.

Not a conference, no. Besides that my grad student I worked with left so I'm in limbo with research, and not much else has happened that would be significant enough to write an update letter about.
I would say wait it out unless it's something you are very proud of

Thank god, because Im already predicting my GPA to go down after this semester (B's for days). I guess I will wait until match day to update (Tx applicant here)

Thank god, because Im already predicting my GPA to go down after this semester (B's for days). I guess I will wait until match day to update (Tx applicant here)
don't worry it's a struggle for us all, just spent my week making up all exams

Reactions: 1 user
The struggle is real. One of my schools that I have an II in December with is requesting a grade update.

Little do they know I'm interviewing with them during finals. Other than this school I don't think we need to worry much, just get okay grades.

The struggle is real. One of my schools that I have an II in December with is requesting a grade update.

Little do they know I'm interviewing with them during finals. Other than this school I don't think we need to worry much, just get okay grades.
May I ask what school is requesting the grade update? Hoping I don't have to do an update like that.

Threads like this make me glad I waited to apply til post-grad :hardy:

So this is my last semester...I was hoping not to have to worry as much about my grades, especially with traveling for interviews. So the general consensus is schools don't really care (as long as you don't bomb everything)?