Familiarizing myself with the field in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mulsum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I'm an MA student in experimental psychology and can pretty much read articles.

Here's the problem: most articles say a very lot in a very little about a very infinitely narrow subject.

How does one catch up on a subfield in general? ie. social cognition in children. Are there any online resources with book or article listings for sub-segments like that?

Thanks for any ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I'm an MA student in experimental psychology and can pretty much read articles.

Here's the problem: most articles say a very lot in a very little about a very infinitely narrow subject.

How does one catch up on a subfield in general? ie. social cognition in children. Are there any online resources with book or article listings for sub-segments like that?

Thanks for any ideas.

Hey there,

You want review articles. Review articles generally summarize and comment on the current research in an area, and suggest future research directions. I am not sure exactly how to find these articles in psychology (I have more experience in another discipline). I would expect that if you psychinfo search "social cognitiion review" you would get something. You might also try it in google and in ncbi pubmed. Play around with search terms until you get something good.

Best of luck! Let me know how it goes.