Family Complaints on Thanksgiving

Started by The Red X
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Red X

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Now I get to go eat dinner with the extended family, and when I remind them that I'm in Pharmacy School (which they seem to forget), all I get is a list of complaints they have against their current pharmacy.

AUNT XXXX: "Well my local pharmacy's owner had to take care of his terminally ill mother, and my pharmacy was closed for three days straight....I'm thinking about suing. I was soooo mad I couldn't get my drugs! I know I could sue! I just know it! I'M GONNA SUE!!"

ME (talking): "Hey did ya know that you can have your physician transfer your script to another pharmacy if for some reson your current pharmacy was closed?"

AUNT XXXX: "uh no" [SILENCE]

************
ME (thinking): "You dumb bXXXh, that's the chance you take when you go to a small local 'ma and pa' pharmacy! Sometimes they might shut down. Did your selfish aXX ever stop to think about that poor man's mother? She probably had no one else to take care of her. I hope you choke on your turkey."

'Tis the season....
 
Learn to plaster on a dumb smile, have a deaf ear, tough skin & don't ever give advice to family!

Try to find Uncle Fred & check out the football scores....or go ask Aunt Edith for her salmon spread receipe....

This is family (or god forbid your wife's/husband's family😱 ) - you could be a plumber & they'd be telling you about their toilet - it could be worse!

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Two of my stepsisters are mentally ill. One has not been not diagnosed. For me, thinking there are space rocks in your yard and that there is a giant government conspiracy to cover it up is enough for me to call a spade a spade.

I never get big Christmas presents anymore because my mom's husband gives his kids money and we can't be treated differently. It's friggin lame.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Now I get to go eat dinner with the extended family, and when I remind them that I'm in Pharmacy School (which they seem to forget), all I get is a list of complaints they have against their current pharmacy.

AUNT XXXX: "Well my local pharmacy's owner had to take care of his terminally ill mother, and my pharmacy was closed for three days straight....I'm thinking about suing. I was soooo mad I couldn't get my drugs! I know I could sue! I just know it! I'M GONNA SUE!!"

ME (talking): "Hey did ya know that you can have your physician transfer your script to another pharmacy if for some reson your current pharmacy was closed?"

AUNT XXXX: "uh no" [SILENCE]

************
ME (thinking): "You dumb bXXXh, that's the chance you take when you go to a small local 'ma and pa' pharmacy! Sometimes they might shut down. Did your selfish aXX ever stop to think about that poor man's mother? She probably had no one else to take care of her. I hope you choke on your turkey."

'Tis the season....

Funny, personally, I think a pharmacy shouldn't really close when its expected to be open. Is this aunt supposed to just go without her medication? Perhaps she used her last 5 Nitrostat tablets in those 2 or 3 days and needed more? Perhaps this pharmacist could've gotten a reliefer to fill in, if not for at least a few hours per day?

And how would she transfer her scripts if the pharmacy was closed???

(Both of the above points assume that the pharmacy was closed unexpectedly for 3 days)
 
I am trapped at the inlaws right now. I can't escape. I am 300+ miles away from home.

God, shoot me now.

At least every other time I was here I had organic, or calculus to study. What a GREAT excuse and reprieve. Now, I'm on the quarter system, and I got Nothin'... I GOT NOTHIN'....!!!

Normally, I would be drunker than I am right now, but I'm fighting off a sinus infection and kind of want to be healthy again before classes start up.

I listened to the complaints about how the drive thru folks don't hop to whenever my future brother-in-law pulls up in his beemer.

I also heard about my future father-in-law screaming at the pharmacist "Put my 90 pills in there!!! I want my 90 pills!!!" Because he was refilling at the pharmacy when his insurance will only cover 90 through mail order.

These people are my worst f**king nightmares and I'm marrying into this family.

God help me.

Chris
 
Huh. I like my inlaws. I tossed the football around for a few hours with her old man, played texas hold em with her brother. Heck, her pops is a gourmet chef, too. Make a heck of a bird. He didn't even mind when me n' Sarah left him and went to Atlantic City for a few days. Whenever pharmacy comes up, they give me their congratulations for getting into such a great profession. Then they tell me about the time ol' pharmacist Bob down at the local independent cured grandpa Ismail's constipation.

Sucks to be you guys.
 
Huh. I like my inlaws. I tossed the football around for a few hours with her old man, played texas hold em with her brother. Heck, her pops is a gourmet chef, too. Make a heck of a bird. He didn't even mind when me n' Sarah left him and went to Atlantic City for a few days. Whenever pharmacy comes up, they give me their congratulations for getting into such a great profession. Then they tell me about the time ol' pharmacist Bob down at the local independent cured grandpa Ismail's constipation.

Sucks to be you guys.

You ARE lucky.
You have a lot to be thankful for.

Props.

Chris
 
My wife and I stopped going to either parents for Thanksgiving and Christmas about 12 years ago and we couldn't be happier. Just the two of us, sitting at a table we set up in our backyard near the lake, a bottle of Pinot Noir (okay Pam, 2 bottles). No family and no arguments.
 
My wife and I stopped going to either parents for Thanksgiving and Christmas about 12 years ago and we couldn't be happier. Just the two of us, sitting at a table we set up in our backyard near the lake, a bottle of Pinot Noir (okay Pam, 2 bottles). No family and no arguments.

👍 pinot grigio AND white zinfandel AND a wonderful meal
 
How does one get one's inlaws to stop visiting?

I've already managed to get them to hate me when I flew home this term when Mr Orthonut was in the hospital and nearly died (? in sickness and in health? helooooo? did they omit the sickness part of their vows or something?)

As they only live like 10 miles down the road, I need to do something. I can't rely on the snow to stay here all christmas break and what will I do on summer?
 
Anyone else get the crap from your family about not being around very much because of school/work? Everytime I go over to my boyfriend's house (especially this Thanksgiving) they go on and on... "We never see you!" ETC.

And my own family says the same type of thing. I know they mean well, but does anyone ever feel like you're getting a guilt trip for being dedicated to your studies/job?🙁
 
I got to have Thanksgiving dinner in the trailor park. Sure, it was a double wide, with wood panelling covering up all the broken front windows, a nice level of rust, and a bathtub faucet that was running gently all the time. The deck roof was leaking like it wasn't even there and I knocked the "lock" down off the back door going to the bathroom. The lock happened to be a 2x4 propped up against the door knob. The owner, of course, works a construction job.

Mom had always had a nice trailor herself, but she lost it months ago because she stopped working and had it repoed (along with most of her stuff). Now she's back living with the guy who was abusing her before because she got sick of living in a group home. The boyfriend was drunk when I got there, drank a few vodka and cranberries (>50% vodka) with dinner, and then passed out unarousably on the couch afterwards.

All this after mom threatened to eat without me because I was two hours late (6PM instead of 4PM). Thankfully, she just had a turkey wing instead. It was just the three of us. I wish I hadn't gone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got to have Thanksgiving dinner in the trailor park. Sure, it was a double wide, with wood panelling covering up all the broken front windows, a nice level of rust, and a bathtub faucet that was running gently all the time. The deck roof was leaking like it wasn't even there and I knocked the "lock" down off the back door going to the bathroom. The lock happened to be a 2x4 propped up against the door knob. The owner, of course, works a construction job.

Mom had always had a nice trailor herself, but she lost it months ago because she stopped working and had it repoed (along with most of her stuff). Now she's back living with the guy who was abusing her before because she got sick of living in a group home. The boyfriend was drunk when I got there, drank a few vodka and cranberries (>50% vodka) with dinner, and then passed out unarousably on the couch afterwards.

All this after mom threatened to eat without me because I was two hours late (6PM instead of 4PM). Thankfully, she just had a turkey wing instead. It was just the three of us. I wish I hadn't gone.
I really hope you aren't serious.
 
Anyone else get the crap from your family about not being around very much because of school/work? Everytime I go over to my boyfriend's house (especially this Thanksgiving) they go on and on... "We never see you!" ETC.

And my own family says the same type of thing. I know they mean well, but does anyone ever feel like you're getting a guilt trip for being dedicated to your studies/job?🙁

Yeah, my mom does this every T day. She hasn't come to my house once in over 9 years, but when I told her that I can't guarantee being off for Thanksgiving next year (as residency starts), she goes off and starts crying, saying that I think my job is more important, etc.
She also paid to have my brother flown up with his girlfriend, while I had to drive. He was there 27 hours flight in to flight out, because he had to go back for his precious football game. I live a whopping 1 hour closer than he does, so it is still a 6 hour drive for me.
At least my dad and my in-laws are fairly normal.
 
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Now I get to go eat dinner with the extended family, and when I remind them that I'm in Pharmacy School (which they seem to forget), all I get is a list of complaints they have against their current pharmacy.

AUNT XXXX: "Well my local pharmacy's owner had to take care of his terminally ill mother, and my pharmacy was closed for three days straight....I'm thinking about suing. I was soooo mad I couldn't get my drugs! I know I could sue! I just know it! I'M GONNA SUE!!"

ME (talking): "Hey did ya know that you can have your physician transfer your script to another pharmacy if for some reson your current pharmacy was closed?"

AUNT XXXX: "uh no" [SILENCE]

************
ME (thinking): "You dumb bXXXh, that's the chance you take when you go to a small local 'ma and pa' pharmacy! Sometimes they might shut down. Did your selfish aXX ever stop to think about that poor man's mother? She probably had no one else to take care of her. I hope you choke on your turkey."

'Tis the season....

Tell your aunt... absent a court injunction, the local pharmacy has no legally recognized duty to stay open on any given day. She can attempt to sue, but the court would dismiss the case immediately.
 
Funny, personally, I think a pharmacy shouldn't really close when its expected to be open. Is this aunt supposed to just go without her medication? Perhaps she used her last 5 Nitrostat tablets in those 2 or 3 days and needed more? Perhaps this pharmacist could've gotten a reliefer to fill in, if not for at least a few hours per day?

And how would she transfer her scripts if the pharmacy was closed???

(Both of the above points assume that the pharmacy was closed unexpectedly for 3 days)


Well, I know this a is late response to your response, but as I said in my original post, she could have called her PHYSICIAN who was open and had him transfer the script to a different pharmacy.

I did type PHYSICIAN....maybe you were tired when typing your response, or maybe you just don't pay attention and thrive on conflict, or maybe....who knows...
 
I guess a response is better late than never....


True that, true that... You know, I don't know why more people don't overstock on their medication just for these sort of circumstances. Granted, you can't (or at least you shouldn't) do that on controls and I sure wouldn't do it for really really expensive medications, but I always have an extra month of birth-control pills on hand. You never know what can happen, and I sure wouldn't want to be without those.