Family Connections to Yale...please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washington101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am applying to Yale and I have had 5 family members go to yale and do very very well. Two of them were the youngest grads of yale. However, only one family member did medical school there. Does Yale care about family connections and should I include that in some form in my application. I am not the typical pre-med type, so any advice would be helpful. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i have not seen the secondary but it should ask about family legacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
the yale secondary only asks about your parents...

Right, the Yale secondary only asks about your parents...thus the question...should I include more family history as its important.

washington101 said:
Right, the Yale secondary only asks about your parents...thus the question...should I include more family history as its important.

if they have a "Why Yale?" essay, sure why not? talk about how u have 5 family members from their and their experiences with the school have made u even more eager to go there. assuming this is true, that is.

Hey you guys? I have family connections to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School. I know, you're jealous. My grandfather was the first graduate from the school. Wow, right?
Do you think I should send them a family photo of us, maybe in oil or some other permanent media? Do you think I should wear scrubs in the picture, so they will know I'll fit right in at HUMS? I mean, it is LIKE IN MY DNA! You guys. Seriously. Help.

lol.. oh, how our lovely jackie gets her points across :)

washington101 said:

wait why is it important? what does it say about you personally and your ability to make a good physician...? but yeah mention it if its appropriate.

jackieMD2007 said:
Hey you guys? I have family connections to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School. I know, you're jealous. My grandfather was the first graduate from the school. Wow, right?
Do you think I should send them a family photo of us, maybe in oil or some other permanent media? Do you think I should wear scrubs in the picture, so they will know I'll fit right in at HUMS? I mean, it is LIKE IN MY DNA! You guys. Seriously. Help.

I agree with Jackie 100%.

Robizzle said:
lol.. oh, how our lovely jackie gets her points across :)

I just couldn't help it on this one. :laugh: I wish I could say I was sorry but I am not really.

washington101 said:

I would stick to the med school relative. I doubt they will care much that you had a second cousin in the Yale english lit department (or whatever department they were in).

Members don't see this ad :)
jackieMD2007 said:

Well, if you have connections with the "Old Boys' Club" chapter at HUMS, you'll need to give them the secret handshake during the interview.

jillibean said:
I would stick to the med school relative. I doubt they will care much that you had a second cousin in the Yale english lit department (or whatever department they were in).

Jill, I have to respectfully disagree. Anyone who is even remotely affiliated with somewhere like Yale is obviously terribly important. I think he should send some DNA samples and everything. I mean, the answer to Why Yale for this student is obviously that it is genetic: EVERYONE in the OP's family went to Yale! I think he should also send in his baby pic of himself in his "Future Yalie" and "Little Yale MD" baby clothes, instead of the traditional picture. :laugh:

Okay I should go back to writing secondaries. Even though I already have an acceptance from Hollywood Upstairs. You guys, I AM a legacy. Come on.

swifty100850 said:
Well, if you have connections with the "Old Boys' Club" chapter at HUMS, you'll need to give them the secret handshake during the interview.

Don't worry. I have the kneepads ready. ;)

Dr Durden said:
Stop being such a troll Jackie ;)

Well if being a troll is stating the facts of my legacy admission to HUMS, then you're just being J-E-A-L-O-U-S by calling me a troll. I see how it is. :laugh:

#1 in my signature is now my disclaimer, by the way.

jackieMD2007 said:
Well if being a troll is stating the facts of my legacy admission to HUMS, then you're just being J-E-A-L-O-U-S by calling me a troll. I see how it is. :laugh:

#1 in my signature is now my disclaimer, by the way.

You're just J-E-A-L-O-U-S of the troll competition from the OP.

By the way, lend this non-legacy your kneepads when you're finished with them. I'll get better use out of them anyway since your acceptance letter has almost certainly already been mailed. I won't push my luck asking about the secret handshake though.

Dr Durden said:
You're just J-E-A-L-O-U-S of the troll competition from the OP.

By the way, lend this non-legacy your kneepads when you're finished with them. I'll get better use out of them anyway since your acceptance letter has almost certainly already been mailed. I won't push my luck asking about the secret handshake though.

You guys should also know the official school fight song and, preferrably, mention in your PS how much you love your {insert school mascot here} pet. A chromosome chart wouldn't be too much to ask for either, you know, to verify you don't have any abnormalities in your DNA that might prevent you from expressing the HUMS genes in your family.

Dang, I was hoping simply bleeding the school colors would have sufficed.

baylormed said:
You guys should also know the official school fight song and, preferrably, mention in your PS how much you love your {insert school mascot here} pet. A chromosome chart wouldn't be too much to ask for either, you know, to verify you don't have any abnormalities in your DNA that might prevent you from expressing the HUMS genes in your family.

Well my karyotype spells out "HUMS? F--K YEAH!" It is in the dean's office. :thumbup:

Beat that Yale! Woo!

Wow, 90% of the posts were useless. You guys are so competitive with yourselves that you cant answer an honest question. I was not bragging...just asking a question. Silly heads.

washington101 said:
Wow, 90% of the posts were useless. You guys are so competitive with yourselves that you cant answer an honest question. I was not bragging...just asking a question. Silly heads.

There is no competition here. I am ALREADY IN TO HUMS! FULL SCHOLARSHIP! I presented this example to you to help you out. See? Done.

What the hell is HUMS and why are you so arrogant? Did you get picked on as a child?

jackieMD2007 said:
There is no competition here. I am ALREADY IN TO HUMS! FULL SCHOLARSHIP! I presented this example to you to help you out. See? Done.

I love Jackie. :laugh:

washington101 said:
What the hell is HUMS and why are you so arrogant? Did you get picked on as a child?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh, god. I can't stop laughing. Somebody help me. Who has that picture of Dr. Nick? Come on, I know you guys have it.

DoctorPardi said:
The fact that the Bushs went there brings Yale down a little for me.

DoctorPardi, WHY WHY WHY do you HATE FREEDOM?? GOSH!

Jackie, what is the special letter of rec. form that Pitt. needs. You mention that in your MDapplicant thing.

washington101 said:

OMG! And you say you have genes from WHAT school????

You haven't caught on yet, have you?

**baylormed=rolling on the floor laughing**

washington101 said:
Jackie, what is the special letter of rec. form that Pitt. needs. You mention that in your MDapplicant thing.

Darling. It's a PDF form that you print, fill out, sign and hand into your recommenders (LOR writers). They then mail that form in with your letters. You don't have to do it if you are having a commitee letter or pre-med advisor letter. It is a confidentiality/closed letter form saying you waive your right to the letters. See? Done. :thumbup:

baylormed said:
OMG! And you say you have genes from WHAT school????

You haven't caught on yet, have you?

**baylormed=rolling on the floor laughing**

I KNOW!! IT IS THE F--ING BEST PART OF ALL!
**tears running down face, laughing so hard, my stomach hurts**

jackieMD2007 said:
DoctorPardi, WHY WHY WHY do you HATE FREEDOM?? GOSH!

You're right Jackie, I've had enough of this bull **** we need to go ahead and get in a few more wars. Freedom demands war!! So war we must have!!! Iran, North Korea, Canada here we come!

Hmm...my school does not have a commitee letter but they have a LOR service. They send all my letters as a packet. I dont think I need to print out the form then. Ill have to double check though. Good to know though, thanks.

Washington, this thread was dead on arrival. Frankly, I'm a little surprised the response wasn't harsher or more personal. The vast majority of SDN prides themselves on their hard work invested in pursuing the ever elusive and demanding MD. Usually the more experienced members are eager and happy to help with advice. However someone joining, immediately strutting rare personal connections to elite schools, then asking how far these will go will invariably rub many in the wrong way. Though you probably didn't intend for it to come across this way, without backing up your own credentials and past personal effort, it's going to seem like you're seeking the underhanded back-door to medical school. And that's going to get you "flamed" by many on here. Take all the fun we're having semi-anonymously at your expense (damn mdapps revealing our indentities) in stride.

Dr Durden said:
Washington, this thread was dead on arrival. Frankly, I'm a little surprised the response wasn't harsher or more personal. The vast majority of SDN prides themselves on their hard work invested in pursuing the ever elusive and demanding MD. Usually the more experienced members are eager and happy to help with advice. However someone joining, imediately strutting rare personal connections to elite schools, then asking how far these will go will invariably rub many in the wrong way. Though you probably didn't intend for it to come across this way, without backing up your own credentials and past personal effort, it's going to seem like you're seeking the underhanded back-door to medical school. And that's going to get you "flamed" by many on here. Take all the fun we're having semi-anonymously at your expense (damn mdapps revealing our indentities) in stride.

Well. I decided that MEDIUM pimping was good enough for this guy. :thumbup:

But seriously. Well said Dr. Durden. And OP, HUMS, Hollywood Upstairs Medical School, is a reference from "The Simpsons." I was f-ing with you, my friend.

HUMS! Only $199/year! Woo!

jackieMD2007 said:
Well. I decided that MEDIUM pimping was good enough for this guy. :thumbup:

But seriously. Well said Dr. Durden. And OP, HUMS, Hollywood Upstairs Medical School, is a reference from "The Simpsons." I was f-ing with you, my friend.

HUMS! Only $199/year! Woo!

http://www.wokmyway.com/smarch/bios/stars/10_05_DrNick.gif

That's the closest picture I could find.

Probably my favorite Dr. Nick quote: "When you were in that coma, did you feel your brain getting damaged?"

Enjoy.
-Dr. P.

Dr Durden said:
Washington, this thread was dead on arrival. Frankly, I'm a little surprised the response wasn't harsher or more personal. The vast majority of SDN prides themselves on their hard work invested in pursuing the ever elusive and demanding MD. Usually the more experienced members are eager and happy to help with advice. However someone joining, immediately strutting rare personal connections to elite schools, then asking how far these will go will invariably rub many in the wrong way. Though you probably didn't intend for it to come across this way, without backing up your own credentials and past personal effort, it's going to seem like you're seeking the underhanded back-door to medical school. And that's going to get you "flamed" by many on here. Take all the fun we're having semi-anonymously at your expense (damn mdapps revealing our indentities) in stride.

I thought washington's question was reasonable. He wanted to know something that might help him get into a great medical school. I thought some of you guys said you would eat Hot Dog Poop to get into the med school of your dreams. What's wrong with flashing a little bit of connections here and there if it will benefit, I see nothing morally wrong with that. Nothing wrong with a joke either, but sometimes it can get a little out of hand.

I agree. I also think Jackie is obnoxious. I would hate to be her roommate. She is a little too full of advice for me.

shaka1734 said:
I thought washington's question was reasonable. He wanted to know something that might help him get into a great medical school. I thought some of you guys said you would eat Hot Dog Poop to get into the med school of your dreams. What's wrong with flashing a little bit of connections here and there if it will benefit, I see nothing morally wrong with that. Nothing wrong with a joke either, but sometimes it can get a little out of hand.
I agree with DrDurden, this thread was DOA...
  • I have 5 family members that went to Yale.
  • They all did very well!
  • Will family connections get me in?
  • I'm not a typical pre-med, so I don't really know about all this stuff you gotta do to get into medical school (like study hard for the MCAT, have to do post bacc, have to apply to 15 schools, etc) because I'm gonna be able to ride the family-train into Yale Med.

That's just begging for some pretty angry responses from the regular, lowly, non-connected peasants that are working hard to someday hope that they might get admitted to medical school, and also find a way to pay for it all with huge loans.

washington90210 just needs to realize this thread has nothing to do with him/her and let us continue talking about Hollywood Upstairs Medical School. That's where it be at.

my Dad mows the grass at Yale. does that count?

seriously, where are all these anti-AA people who are always whining about how great URMs have it? Legacies (AA for rich people) don't bother them because... they're rich white people.

Shwa shwa, I've got to get back to my polo match. My grandfather was the youngest polo player to ever graduate Yale....

MiesVanDerMom said:
my Dad mows the grass at Yale. does that count?

seriously, where are all these anti-AA people who are always whining about how great URMs have it? Legacies (AA for rich people) don't bother them because... they're rich white people.

Shwa shwa, I've got to get back to my polo match. My grandfather was the youngest polo player to ever graduate Yale....

Lol, nah! Legacy is so much worse of a concept than AA! "Your rich third cousin went here, so clearly you'll succeed more efficiently than anyone else!" Makes me UNGRY!

Jackie, how could I have been so blind all along? Some people just aren't worth defending. :love: You have shown me the light!

Johannen said:
Lol, nah! Legacy is so much worse of a concept than AA! "Your rich third cousin went here, so clearly you'll succeed more efficiently than anyone else!" Makes me ANGRY!

Jackie, how could I have been so blind all along? Some people just aren't worth defending. :love: You have shown me the light!

Well, what can I say? Last night I was up late doing secondaries and sometimes like to have a little fun. It could have gotten a lot uglier in here than the teasing we provided with HUMS, you guys.

And as for the guy that doesn't want to be my roommate--its cool! I'm married. I have a roommate for life. I may be full of advice, but a lot of people on here are full of something else. :laugh:

SitraAchra said:
washington90210 just needs to realize this thread has nothing to do with him/her and let us continue talking about Hollywood Upstairs Medical School. That's where it be at.

Heh, I know right? ;)

washington101 said:
Wow, 90% of the posts were useless.
Welcome to SDN...

Don't sweat the teasing. Though they may make fun of your legacy status, please keep in mind that if they thought eating their own vomit would get them an interview at Yale, they'd say "Please, sir, may I have some more?"

Bring up the legacy thing in your secondary if there's a Why Yale section. But be very careful not to sound like you're entitled, but take the approach that with this many family members at Yale, you're very familiar with the school, it's culture, blah blah blah.

Personally, I think (and many of us think) the whole legacy thing is an obnoxious concept. But very few people on this board wouldn't use it if we had it. Best of luck.

washington101 said:

C'mon, washington, that was below the belt. Fight fair, poopypants.