Family Friendly Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runs4chocolate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about doing research on schools that are more family friendly than others. All the forums and blogs are a bit outdated and I wanted other opinions. I would also like to know of any non-family friendly schools.

I am currently post-bac and doing my MCAT and application process. I've been married for 3 years, 24 years old, and have a husband wiling to be a SAHD if necessary in medschool. I also want children and would like anyones imput!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no family friendly rank to med school. A school without mandatory lecture attendance would be a huge plus, otherwise at some point YOU make time for family.

Probably should wait until residency for kids, but there's never really a good time to.

I have been reading about doing research on schools that are more family friendly than others. All the forums and blogs are a bit outdated and I wanted other opinions. I would also like to know of any non-family friendly schools.

I am currently post-bac and doing my MCAT and application process. I've been married for 3 years, 24 years old, and have a husband wiling to be a SAHD if necessary in medschool. I also want children and would like anyones imput!

RFUMS is reasonably friendly to families. A couple of members of our class have children, and they seem to be doing just fine in school.

Ask about student groups for spouses and families if you interview - there are schools out there that have them, and you can tell a lot about a schools commitment to supporting families with kids, too, by reading their policies on leave, exam make ups, dropping to half time, etc. The hardest thing about having kiddos in medical school isn't always how much work they are - they're also unpredictable, and they get sick a lot.