Family Friendly Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenMD17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through previous threads and have made note of a few schools, but many of the threads are outdated. Does anyone know of any family friendly schools or has interviewed with schools that have at least some level of flexibility when it comes to students with families? By no means am I saying any "easier" schools, but just schools with a family friendly atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that all medical schools are accommodating to students with families.. The one's that I have interviewed at, UVM really stands out

Reactions: 1 users
EVMS has a large number of students with families.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The whole process is inherently rough for families. Unyeilding schedule, high stakes exams, financial pressure etc

Reactions: 2 users
What even constitutes a "family friendly atmosphere" in medical school? As someone who has a family, the family friendliness of the city or area has been a bigger priority for me than the family friendliness of the curriculum or the school itself.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have much information about specific schools for you. But one of my big considerations is whether I'll have to move for rotations during 3rd or 4th year. Some of that is unavoidable, but less of that means less stress.

IMO: optional attendance w/streaming lectures, higher COA for less financial stress, along w/allowance for child care costs. The rest I could work around.

IMO: optional attendance w/streaming lectures, higher COA for less financial stress, along w/allowance for child care costs. The rest I could work around.

I think you meant Lower COA

I think you meant Lower COA
I meant higher COA allowance. Im staying put no matter which of my schools I attend, but Id prefer a school that gives a higher estimated COA allowance, so I can take out more money for living expenses.

I hope my medical school is rated at least PG13 or R

I hope my medical school is rated at least PG13 or R
Nothing short of NC-17 for me.

@OP, I think what is the most family friendly school for one person may not be for you. The most family friendly school is the one where your family will be most happy living for 4 years and where you'll be close to your extended family/friends for when you need help and support. I even think a pass/fail curriculum matters less than having a close support system.