Family Med to Int Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if someone were to switch after completing one year of Family Med to IM, would any of the intern year count? Could they apply as PGY2?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The program director at LSU Shrevport told me that if I matched there he would have given me "credit" for seven months for intern year because of rotations I have done here at Duke like Cardiology, Medicine, MICU, etc. (IM was my "backup plan.)

As he put it I would be promoted to PGY-2 in December or intern year and be able to finish the three years early. Now, in practice I don't know how they would have arranged this.

Panda Bear said:
The program director at LSU Shrevport told me that if I matched there he would have given me "credit" for seven months for intern year because of rotations I have done here at Duke like Cardiology, Medicine, MICU, etc. (IM was my "backup plan.)

As he put it I would be promoted to PGY-2 in December or intern year and be able to finish the three years early. Now, in practice I don't know how they would have arranged this.

You did MICU as an FM intern? I didn't know that was happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollyon said:

We do it over at the Durham VA which is definitely not as good as doing it at Duke. Our census was usually about five and two or three could be stroke patients who were otherwise pretty stable and didin't even require a vent.

Apollyon said:

Not that uncommon. We did a CCU month as interns, and followed patients in the ICU on the medicine service right from the beginning.

KentW said:
Not that uncommon. We did a CCU month as interns, and followed patients in the ICU on the medicine service right from the beginning.

It is an RRC requirement, I believe.

Panda Bear said:
It is an RRC requirement, I believe.

Panda Bear, ya headed back to shreveport?

cdow18 said:
Panda Bear, ya headed back to shreveport?

Nope. the EM programs at Baton Rouge and Shreveport had their chance. I matched at the Sparrow Hospital Emergency Medicine Program in Lansing, Michigan.