Family Medicine in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone out there can give me some input on the life of a Family Doctor in Manhattan. Is it possible to have a practice or work for a group in Long Island or say New Jersey and commute. What kind of patients would I see? What would the income be like?

One other thing I wanted to mention. I hope I dont insult anyone by writing this. I really feel that the Family medicine doctors that I have worked with in my hospital are some of the most well rounded, laid back, and sharp individuals that I have had the privilidge to work with in the hospital. I really enjoy working with them and learning from them.

The past few nights while working in the ED I was talking to some of the ED docs and IM physicians. They were all in agreement that they felt the Family medicine doctors were poorly trained and that they lacked the ability to manage "very sick" people. They said they they were limited to treating "urgent care" patients. I was really upset when I heard this and I brushed it off as just one specialty talking bad about another field.

Can anyone give me some input on this subject?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

PELE#10 said:
The past few nights while working in the ED I was talking to some of the ED docs and IM physicians. They were all in agreement that they felt the Family medicine doctors were poorly trained and that they lacked the ability to manage "very sick" people. They said they they were limited to treating "urgent care" patients. I was really upset when I heard this and I brushed it off as just one specialty talking bad about another field.

I'll just leave it at this: don't believe everything you're told, and always consider the source. :rolleyes:

You have to remember, most IM And almost all EM hang in the hospitals.

Do you think you see in the hospital many FMs that have been practicing for 30 years? No? Then your opinion is probably biased...

Further their scope of knowledge should be different.... IM don't know much about kids and OBGYN issues... and if you have a clinic, you will get families coming in with these problems.

Now if you want to hang around in the hospital all your life and deal with more ill patients.... then hey.. IM is for you...

Members don't see this ad :)
Faebinder said:
Now if you want to hang around in the hospital all your life and deal with more ill patients.... then hey.. IM is for you...

damn...
i thought i could do that with FP too :(

n0chi said:
i thought i could do that with FP too :(

You can.

Family medicine residency will train you to care for "very sick" patients in the hospital, as well as manage "very sick" patients in the outpatient setting.

How well you do it is up to you.

I'm a PGY 1 at an unopposed residency in the south. We manage our own patients in the ICU including ventilator management, it doesn't get much sicker then that. Sometimes I think we actually bite off more then we can chew, but the upper levels and attendings are on the ball and things work out.

Problem is that the training is not the same everywhere and when you finish residency they won't let you near the ICU in most hospitals.