Family Medicine Interview: Second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicienne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scheduled a second look with my top choice program in January. I know this program very well and I would be thrilled to be here so I have no doubt that it is my #1 choice ( I even told the PD at interview). I wanted to make the second visit to 'keep in touch' with the program so they rank me high.

I just wanted to hear from residents/attendings on the admission commitee, how important it is for the decision process? Have you already made your impression on interview day, or the 'second visit' helps you to know me better?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I scheduled a second look with my top choice program in January. I know this program very well and I would be thrilled to be here so I have no doubt that it is my #1 choice ( I even told the PD at interview). I wanted to make the second visit to 'keep in touch' with the program so they rank me high.

I just wanted to hear from residents/attendings on the admission commitee, how important it is for the decision process? Have you already made your impression on interview day, or the 'second visit' helps you to know me better?

Thanks.

If the program of your choice is nearby, meaning you don't have to spend a fortune to get there, by all means, attend. Treat it like a social event afterall, if you really enjoy being around those potential colleagues.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't spend the money buying an airplane ticket just to attent a second look. I served on the resident interview committee as a chief resident and really, whether an applicant showing up or not had no bearings on our decision, or my decision.

Instead, send a holiday card to the program director, program coordinator, or some residents you've met who have helped you gained insights to the program. Even an email would do the trick.

Hope this helps and good luck with your match.

G.

Thank you for your input! The program's within driving distance and I absolutely love everything about it, so I thought I'll visit them a second time. I did send TY notes, Holiday cards, etc.