Family medicine + raise a family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I want to be a family physician. It is also very important to me that I be able to raise my family, at least while they are young. I need to know if it is possible to be hired as a family physician at ~20-30 hours a week. I don't care if I make less than $100k, my husband will be working full time in a well paying job.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I want to be a family physician. It is also very important to me that I be able to raise my family, at least while they are young. I need to know if it is possible to be hired as a family physician at ~20-30 hours a week. I don't care if I make less than $100k, my husband will be working full time in a well paying job.

If you're from Canadia, this board may not be as helpful as most people are American. If you're thinking of working in America, than it depends. Are you willing to move? If so, what areas are you willing to live in? What kind of work are you looking for? Urgent care, straight FM in outpatient, a mix of inpatient and out? If you are pretty flexible in all these areas, then the resounding answer is yes.

If you have a specific city in mind, or a specific city and set-up, then the answer gets grayer. You can probably find an urgent care setting in most cities/places which would pay some bills, or you can probably find an office or two that would let you do walk-ins at a per visit pay rate. But, it probably would be harder to find a clinic that will let you build your own patient census while only working part-time. By working 20-30 hours a week, you incur almost all the administrative/extra costs while bringing in 1/2 to 3/4 of the revenue that the rest of the doctors bring in, so you're less appealing than another full-time doctor. But, some places need a doctor that badly that they'll do it.