Family Medicine Residency Program Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicienne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other sources of residency program reviews by residents and students apart from scutwork ( which is not complete)?

I am looking for reviews on the following programs in the Southwest:

UT San Antonio
UT Houston
Methodist Hospital, Houston
San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown
Texas Tech, Odessa

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know about UTSA FM too.
Anybody?
Thanks

I'd like to know about UTSA FM too.
Anybody?
Thanks

I'm not applying to FM, but had the opportunity to rotate with them for 4 days on an away rotation. I was impressed with both the residents and the faculty. Good group that maintains high standards, one of the best FM groups I had the opportunity to interact with in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many sites will list alumni. Try to contact them and ask questions.

Other programs give you the opportunity to talk with some of the current residents. Make sure you have your list of questions and fire away!

I'm not applying to FM, but had the opportunity to rotate with them for 4 days on an away rotation. I was impressed with both the residents and the faculty. Good group that maintains high standards, one of the best FM groups I had the opportunity to interact with in medical school.

Thanks! That is reassuring :)

Many sites will list alumni. Try to contact them and ask questions.

Other programs give you the opportunity to talk with some of the current residents. Make sure you have your list of questions and fire away!

Thanks! I am trying to do that too.

BTW your office looks great:)

Where can I find an up-to-date site like scutwork.com that will give me the lowdown on residency programs? I am trying to rank programs but do not want to be stuck in a place I hate for the next 4 years.
Also, where can i find out things like a program's board passage trends, whether a program filled its slots, whether a program is on notice, etc?

Where can I find an up-to-date site like scutwork.com that will give me the lowdown on residency programs? I am trying to rank programs but do not want to be stuck in a place I hate for the next 4 years.
Also, where can i find out things like a program's board passage trends, whether a program filled its slots, whether a program is on notice, etc?
You mean 3 years, right?

Board pass rates any program will tell you if you ask. Filling they might tell you but could easily be false. You can go to the ACGME website to see any programs with official problems.

You mean 3 years, right?

Board pass rates any program will tell you if you ask. Filling they might tell you but could easily be false. You can go to the ACGME website to see any programs with official problems.

Thanks, yes, I meant 3 years.
I went to the ACGME site and they did not specify why certain programs were on probation.
I was also looking to see the reviews regarding the general stress level and atmosphere at a lot of these residencies.

Thanks, yes, I meant 3 years.
I went to the ACGME site and they did not specify why certain programs were on probation.
I was also looking to see the reviews regarding the general stress level and atmosphere at a lot of these residencies.
The atmosphere you actually can get a decent feel for on interview day, assuming you have some time alone with the residents. If not, do a rotation there.

Stress level, just observe the residents. Its hard to hide stress, especially when combined with fatigue.

Are there any other sources of residency program reviews by residents and students apart from scutwork ( which is not complete)?

I am looking for reviews on the following programs in the Southwest:

UT San Antonio
UT Houston
Methodist Hospital, Houston
San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown
Texas Tech, Odessa

Thanks!
OMG stay away from Texas Tech in Odessa if that includes rotations at Midland Memorial (I'm sure it does) I have never met a more lazy piece of **** group of residents in my life. They will do ANYTHING to get out of admitting a patient from the ER. Totally hated having to deal with them on a daily basis. I even saw one resident argue with the ER director about why they would not admit a patient!! Man if I had had my way that resident would be totally ousted. I never saw an attending around to assist or consult, etc. Just a badly run program from what I saw and I would not put my worst enemy there.