Family Medicine Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have taken the NBME Family Medicine Shelf, what are the best resources to use? I have heard that CASE Files is ideal to get the cases down, but what additonal sources are good, esp for questions. Has anyone used Pre-test? I heard about AAFP questions but it seems that they are hit or miss. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have taken the NBME Family Medicine Shelf, what are the best resources to use? I have heard that CASE Files is ideal to get the cases down, but what additonal sources are good, esp for questions. Has anyone used Pre-test? I heard about AAFP questions but it seems that they are hit or miss. Thanks

AAFP questions are all retired ABFM board exam questions. They’re solid, but perhaps not good examples of the NBME shelf.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on FM right now, and next I have IM. I was thinking of just starting UWorld medicine now for studying for my FM shelf and then finish it up in IM. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
FM was my first shelf. It’s kind of a beast but I scored very well on it (90+%tile) and all I did to study was all of the AAFP questions and UWorld derm (oh and those UVA questions but I think those are gone now). There’s a lot of AAFP questions and they’re beyond what you need but they go fast and there are a ton of repeats.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I already had IM. What portions of UW do you recommend? Additionally, you recommend all of the AAFP questions? Any opinions on Case files and/or pretest?

Best advice I can give for family med shelf ( most important listed first):
1. Ambulatory chapter ( a must)
2. Guidelines!
3.AAFP quesitons
4. All of online med internal ( and do first aid step 1 psychiatry) (take the loss on obgyn, pediatrics lol)
5.Exam Guru ( 40 q a day by subject you will be done in 10 days.

Shelf exam score: 81% (I only managed to finish the first 500 aafp questions, probably would have honored it if I finished all of it)

This was my second shelf exam, and I kinda had no idea how to study for this shelf exam. As I was clueless, I didn't solve any questions from any question bank (but if the question banks that the others mentioned are useful for the shelf exam, then I will defer to their opinion. Solving questions always help). That being said....

I thought Case Files, Ambulatory Chapter of Step Up to Medicine, and the USPHTF A/B Guidelines were more than enough to do fine on the shelf exam. I also did have my peds shelf exam before this so I had pretty good knowledge base of peds. But I thought most of the peds questions on my FM shelf could be answered using the 3 resources I mentioned above. Also, I had an incredible family med rotation in which my preceptor taught me a lot and asked me plenty of questions/gave some pearls of wisdom, so that definitely contributed to my overall knowledge base.

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but has anyone used both AAFP and examgurus. If so, would recommend one or the other? Just started my rotation and am trying to decide on which to focus on (I also have AMBOSS but heard it's no good). Thanks!

Uva questions, ambosss, Dorian deck = honors

• Care
Reactions: 1 users