Family Medicine to OBGYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geek101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing my 1st year in Fam Med this month but really still want to do my first love OBGYN. I had a lot of background experience in OB prior to residency. I have thought about this every single day prior to residency and i still think about it up till now.
Is it still possible to switch and if so how can i achieve this?
Any positions available out for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently finishing my 1st year in Fam Med this month but really still want to do my first love OBGYN. I had a lot of background experience in OB prior to residency. I have thought about this every single day prior to residency and i still think about it up till now.
Is it still possible to switch and if so how can i achieve this?
Any positions available out for me?

You'll have to find a residency program that you accepting a pgy1. You'll get some credit for your OB time as a PGY1 most likely.

You will need the support of your PD as well.

Another option is to finish your residency and do an OB fellowship in family medicine

Switching is possible but difficult. We’ve had several residents switch after first or 2nd year.

Need to meet with your own PD and with obgyn PD at your program to assess possibility of switching.

I’ve also seen a number of people who’ve completed FM residency and then went on to OBgyn (some might see that as very attractive in a candidate and clearly demonstrates commitment).

Also, because of funding you’ll be limited to academic and larger community programs so scores and grades and residency performance need to be top notch.