Family medicine to OBGYN..????

Started by adrenalin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adrenalin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all

I'm currently doing Family medicine/Pgy1, but I'm more intrested in doing OBGYN (I could do OB fellowship after my FM residency but wanna switch to OBGYN). My question is how easy is it to switch from FM to OBGYN....?
will it be easy to get OBGYN Residency if I finish up FM Residency. I wanna pursue something that I always wanted to do..

Any suggestions...?
 
You should go on the ACOG.ORG site and look at the creog clearinghouse. I have attached the link below:

http://www.acog.org/departments/dept_notice.cfm?recno=1&bulletin=122

You may need to either apply through the match, or just call around to programs to express your interest. If you did a fair amount of OBGYN as an FP resident, you may be able to start in a 2nd year spot with some remediation. I hope this helps you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
will it be posssible to get into obgyn after doing ayear of FM..will the programs consider my experience as pgy1 FM resident...do I need to take token again for the match....

any advice how should i begin with this process...
 
It is definitely possible to make the switch from FP to OB. In the last 2 years we have had 2 residents match from FP. In fact, both of them had completed FP residencies. They both went through the match, but I have no idea if you are required to, as others on this board have discussed.

I suspect that each program's accomodations of your prior experience will vary, however. In my program, these residents don't have to do any primary care related rotations, and instead do extra surgical rotations. I'm not positive, but I think you could be granted a shortened residency based on time served in the FP slot, but I think that would be rare, and you should bank on the full 4 year residency program. (It can be difficult to have "off cycle" residents because when you leave early it leaves a major gap in the program work schedule).

Good luck.
 
so do you think i take eras token..and match again ;well that seems like the good option for me,..dont mind mind doing the full 4 yrs of obgyn..but will i be considered that i already have 1 year of clinical resdidency experience....do i have advantage as comapared to freshers applying for obgyn match...

thanx for your advice ...