familypractice life style?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sainttpk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my question!

I am a bit confused about the lifestyle of family docs. Can you have a life and be a family doc? say 30-40 hours a week tops?

The reason I ask is because I hear so many negative things about family medicine, yet it is what i am interested in. Just recently I was viewing posts on Mommd.com and all of the posters were complaining how many FM docs work at least 50-60 hours a week just to keep up with paper work and all the hassels of patients. I heard it was really hard to find jobs that gave a decent 9-5 lifestyle. I'm not saying that I am lazy, its just that I have no desire to work this hard. I want a life!! Call me freakin lazy!! :eek:

I just want to do a job I enjoy and be done after 40 hours a week! I dont care about making tons of money as long as its over 90-100K. Is this an unreasnable expectation for family medicine. I would really really like to hear from actual practicing physicians!!! Your input is much appreciated... What is the true story behind family medicine

T

Members don't see this ad.

Sainttpk said:
I just want to do a job I enjoy and be done after 40 hours a week! I dont care about making tons of money as long as its over 90-100K.

How many hours you work and how much money you make is entirely up to you. There are lots of variables involved, such as geographic location, type of practice (solo vs. group, salaried vs. not, etc.), access to revenue streams outside of patient care - i.e., co-ownership of ancillary services, whether or not you do OB, inpatient care, etc. In FP, you can pretty much have it any way you want it. That's one of the great things about the specialty.

Unless something is drastically wrong, you should be able to earn well in excess of your stated figure in an 40-hour workweek.

What constitutes "drastically wrong?" A really bad payer mix (e.g., tons of Medicaid/Medicare, or patients who don't pay their bills), a poorly-run or inefficient practice, or a salaried position where your income potential is determined by your employer.

KentW said:
How many hours you work and how much money you make is entirely up to you. There are lots of variables involved, such as geographic location, type of practice (solo vs. group, salaried vs. not, etc.), access to revenue streams outside of patient care - i.e., co-ownership of ancillary services, whether or not you do OB, inpatient care, etc. In FP, you can pretty much have it any way you want it. That's one of the great things about the specialty.

Unless something is drastically wrong, you should be able to earn well in excess of your stated figure in an 40-hour workweek.

What constitutes "drastically wrong?" A really bad payer mix (e.g., tons of Medicaid/Medicare, or patients who don't pay their bills), a poorly-run or inefficient practice, or a salaried position where your income potential is determined by your employer.

I've heard that alot of insurance companies do not want to cover part time docs is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sainttpk said:
I've heard that alot of insurance companies do not want to cover part time docs is that true?

What sort of insurance companies are you talking about, malpractice carriers (for coverage) or health insurance carriers (for reimbursement)?

Either way, I'm not aware of any limits imposed upon part-time physicians, at least not the ones I work with.

Most part-timers will probably be salaried. Otherwise, they may find it difficult to maintain their incomes in the face of rising overhead, which is usually similar to their full-time colleages.

Sainttpk said:
Ok so here is my question!

I am a bit confused about the lifestyle of family docs. Can you have a life and be a family doc? say 30-40 hours a week tops?

The reason I ask is because I hear so many negative things about family medicine, yet it is what i am interested in. Just recently I was viewing posts on Mommd.com and all of the posters were complaining how many FM docs work at least 50-60 hours a week just to keep up with paper work and all the hassels of patients. I heard it was really hard to find jobs that gave a decent 9-5 lifestyle. I'm not saying that I am lazy, its just that I have no desire to work this hard. I want a life!! Call me freakin lazy!! :eek:

I just want to do a job I enjoy and be done after 40 hours a week! I dont care about making tons of money as long as its over 90-100K. Is this an unreasnable expectation for family medicine. I would really really like to hear from actual practicing physicians!!! Your input is much appreciated... What is the true story behind family medicine

T

nothing wrong with your thinking and what you want out of your life, after all it is YOUR life not someone elses so just do what makes you happy.
i think FM is probably most suited to you, dont listen to what other people say about negativity, every specialty has its bad and negative and streotypical ideas of the specialty..

Can somemore people comment on FP as a lifestyle choice? I'd like to hear some more physicians please! I really do enjoy FP but I dont want to work 60 hours a week screw that!

T

If you don't want to work 60 hours a week, then don't. It really is that easy.

You either have time, or you have money. It's all about balance. Nobody gets to have lots of both unless you win the Lotto. :)

sophiejane said:
If you don't want to work 60 hours a week, then don't. It really is that easy.

You either have time, or you have money. It's all about balance. Nobody gets to have lots of both unless you win the Lotto. :)

i have been in practice now for about 4 years. While I'm not an FP, many of my friends are....

let me just say-- once you are out there you can find a FP job that you work 40 hrs a week and you should easily make 120-140,000. Easy... I am talking no call no inpatients. pure 9-5... That is reality. Trust me

no if you want more money in FP then it is not inconceible to make 200+ as FP-- mind you you will work 50-60 hrs a week, take call and do inpt. But that is doable for alot of people...

jsaul said:
i have been in practice now for about 4 years. While I'm not an FP, many of my friends are....

let me just say-- once you are out there you can find a FP job that you work 40 hrs a week and you should easily make 120-140,000. Easy... I am talking no call no inpatients. pure 9-5... That is reality. Trust me

no if you want more money in FP then it is not inconceible to make 200+ as FP-- mind you you will work 50-60 hrs a week, take call and do inpt. But that is doable for alot of people...

good post

...what specialty are you and in what state and city do you live?

gsinccom said:
good post

...what specialty are you and in what state and city do you live?

I am going to guess 'pain medicine' because that is the only other board he has posted on.

jsaul said:

Uhhh, I make 200+ doing 37 hrs/week, no inpt, light call every Tuesday

FamilyMD said:

How is it done when the average is $148,678 and the 75th percentile is $170,569?

McGillGrad said:
How is it done when the average is $148,678 and the 75th percentile is $170,569?
Those numbers are for employed Drs. If you are private, labs, midlevels, meds, are just a few of the way to EASILY pass 200k

FamilyMD said:
Those numbers are for employed Drs. If you are private, labs, midlevels, meds, are just a few of the way to EASILY pass 200k

I don't know about the "easily" part (the docs earning $200+ are usually working harder for it than the ones who aren't), but it's not all that uncommon.

FamilyMD said:

well congrats to you---

in my post i was merely pointing aout the average expectations.

McGillGrad said:
I am going to guess 'pain medicine' because that is the only other board he has posted on.

congrats-- you're right. like I said the majority of my friends locally and from med school went FP.