FAP and Secondary Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I received FAP and the fee was waved for the first dental school I applied to. Does that apply to my secondary applications? if so, would you tell me which school wave the fee, or if I should contact each school individually.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No. The FAP only applies to the first school that you add on AADSAS. It eliminates the $238 or whatever it is. It doesn't do anything with secondaries at all. You can contact each school individually, but I doubt they will do anything because that is how they make their money. No harm in trying.

Thank you for the information!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think most schools will give you any sort of waiver for the secondary fee. But the exception I found to this was with NYU. You have to send additional information to the school (maybe a FAFSA? I can't remember) but they told me they could then possibly give me a waiver.

I didn't end up bothering to do so, but if you did apply to NYU and really want to save money, it's an option.

Many schools actually offer secondary application fee waiver. ADEA guidebook has the information. I applied to 7 schools and five of them had fee waiver. Usually they ask for the copy of your FAP approval. But I am sure it will not be the same for every school. Just contact individual school and you can save tons of money like I did :) (I spent 80*6=480 for AADSAS applications and additional 100 dollars for secondary.. So I think I saved around $600)

Last edited:
NO WAY! I would have done that had I known :/ I applied to 20 schools and paid all of their secondaries, even though I had FAP. Most of the schools I applied to had online payments or an online application to fill out, so I don't think it would work in that regard? Or was it the same for you as well lutopie?

NO WAY! I would have done that had I known :/ I applied to 20 schools and paid all of their secondaries, even though I had FAP. Most of the schools I applied to had online payments or an online application to fill out, so I don't think it would work in that regard? Or was it the same for you as well lutopie?

I am not sure about that. So far, the only school I applied where online payment was required was Nova but they don't offer fee waiver.

I saw the info in the ADEA book as well. Some schools (not sure which ones) do offer to waive secondaries.

Does anyone know if there are fee waivers for schools where an online payment is required?

Many schools actually offer secondary application fee waiver. ADEA guidebook has the information. I applied to 7 schools and five of them had fee waiver. Usually they ask for the copy of your FAP approval. But I am sure it will not be the same for every school. Just contact individual school and you can save tons of money like I did :) (I spent 80*6=480 for AADSAS applications and additional 100 dollars for secondary.. So I think I saved around $600)

I called and sadly most of my schools did not offer a waiver... For example, UMDNJ and UMD does not.

I saw the info in the ADEA book as well. Some schools (not sure which ones) do offer to waive secondaries.

Hmm, I wonder how this work since most secondary essays are online and without the credit card payment this could mess up the paper flow.

I