FAP Question on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. My plan was to just submit my AMCAS app to an in state school and then apply to the other schools once I can know my MCAT (June 19, get score back July 5). However, I cannnot seem to find an answer whether I can add 1 school initially and then 19 later (for Free still) or does the FAP only work for an initial school submission whether that be 1 or 20. All help is appreciated. I can call AMCAS I am sure just seeing if anyone here knows this answer. THanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just apply on July 5. This year the Bastille rule is in effect meaning that if your application is submitted by Bastille Day (July 14) you are on time.

Why not just apply on July 5. This year the Bastille rule is in effect meaning that if your application is submitted by Bastille Day (July 14) you are on time.

Ok, I am sorry but could you explain this? My thought was that I needed to submit as early as possible to get Verified? I do not see this rule online? Don't schools start looking at them sometime around July 10? Also, I called AAMC and they said that the initial submission is waived (whether that be 1 or 20 schools) and then any after that is charged so my plan was to look at my practice scores and make a list around that. However, this Bastille thing sounds interesting, but I don't like history so who knows :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I am sorry but could you explain this? My thought was that I needed to submit as early as possible to get Verified? I do not see this rule online? Don't schools start looking at them sometime around July 10? Also, I called AAMC and they said that the initial submission is waived (whether that be 1 or 20 schools) and then any after that is charged so my plan was to look at my practice scores and make a list around that. However, this Bastille thing sounds interesting, but I don't like history so who knows :/

Could someone confirm this? My understanding was that the initial submission means verifying your application, after which you can send this application to 19 more schools at no charge?

Bastille Day rule is a joke!!! What she is saying is that early is a little later this year due to the delay AMCAS built into the initial transmission to the schools. In your case, according to the response you received from AAMC, you have no choice. If you want your fee waiver, you are either going to submit to 20 schools without the score or you're going to wait until 7/5 and not be transmitted in the first batch on 7/10.

Could someone confirm this? My understanding was that the initial submission means verifying your application, after which you can send this application to 19 more schools at no charge?
It makes perfect sense. It appears as though they are set up to give you your first submission for free, up to 20 schools. They don't seem to be set up to track how many schools you are submitting to over multiple submissions, in order to apply the waiver, and the program is not set up to accommodate the throwaway school technique of getting verified early! Rather than asking a random stranger on the Internet to confirm, you should probably do so yourself, since it's your $760 at risk!

It makes perfect sense. It appears as though they are set up to give you your first submission for free, up to 20 schools. They don't seem to be set up to track how many schools you are submitting to over multiple submissions, in order to apply the waiver, and the program is not set up to accommodate the throwaway school technique of getting verified early! Rather than asking a random stranger on the Internet to confirm, you should probably do so yourself, since it's your $760 at risk!

There's a disconnect though. On MCATBROS IG page. Super cool guy, lots of his users called and had reps ay that you could do it in parts, whereas others, including myself, said that you have to do it all at once. I emailed AAMC FAP asking so I could have the answer in writing if anything goes wrong. I'll submit to schools in an MCAT range and on location if I have to do it all at once. Want to be as early as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a disconnect though. On ******** IG page. Super cool guy, lots of his users called and had reps ay that you could do it in parts, whereas others, including myself, said that you have to do it all at once. I emailed AAMC FAP asking so I could have the answer in writing if anything goes wrong. I'll submit to schools in an MCAT range and on location if I have to do it all at once. Want to be as early as possible.

I just spoke with someone from AAMC over the phone, they said you can get verified and then add the 19 others.

I’m pretty sure you can add the additional schools whenever as long as it’s for the same cycle. They don’t have to be done all at once. I think the representatives are confusing it with the other rule that says you can’t spread out the 20 schools over 2 different cycles. So for example if you apply this cycle and use 10 schools, you can’t save the other 10 to apply next year because that would be two different submissions.

I just spoke with someone from AAMC over the phone, they said you can get verified and then add the 19 others.

See? That's so much nicer... I will hold out on the email and see what they say. I probably will submit by next friday. Gives me 5 weeks, unfortunately everything isn't polished to my liking.. But it will also give me time for an answer in writing. Thanks for checking... It makes sense, it's just weird that there have been different answers!

I’m pretty sure you can add the additional schools whenever as long as it’s for the same cycle. They don’t have to be done all at once. I think the representatives are confusing it with the other rule that says you can’t spread out the 20 schools over 2 different cycles. So for example if you apply this cycle and use 10 schools, you can’t save the other 10 to apply next year because that would be two different submissions.

Makes total sense... I think I have come to an answer, if not closer.