FAP Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuregyn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply to more than 20 schools, I understand I'll have to pay to send my primary to any more than the 20. But does this also apply for secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a FAP recipient. Pretty much every school honors that you received assistance on the primary and waived the fee for the secondary. Most schools do it automatically, but some did require I email a specific person/admissions to let them know I was a FAP recipient and then after a few days it was waived

Reactions: 1 users
I was a FAP recipient. Pretty much every school honors that you received assistance on the primary and waived the fee for the secondary. Most schools do it automatically, but some did require I email a specific person/admissions to let them know I was a FAP recipient and then after a few days it was waived
FAP sounds so nice....that is awesome that schools honor it.

Members don't see this ad :)

What I meant is, I'll probably end up applying to more than 20 schools and then every school after that I have to pay out-of-pocket for the primaries. But does it work the same way in that secondaries are only covered for the first 20 schools and I have to pay out-of-pocket for every secondary after that?

Being low income sounds so nice?
No, the prospect that they offer reduced costs of application for those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I too am low income. My parents are not.

Reactions: 3 users
What I meant is, I'll probably end up applying to more than 20 schools and then every school after that I have to pay out-of-pocket for the primaries. But does it work the same way in that secondaries are only covered for the first 20 schools and I have to pay out-of-pocket for every secondary after that?
The rest of the schools do not know how many schools/which schools you apply to. They just honor the FAP.

Not to diverge from the initial post, but I still have a big gripe with the FAP.

I am old (mid thirties) with a wife and kids. Broke as can be with an EFC of zero. The FAP requires financial information from both parents.

From my mother? Ya, no problem, I could get that. She doesn't have/make any money, but I could get the info.

My father? Uhhh, I'm not even sure where he lives currently. And we certainly don't have the type of relationship where I could ask about his financial status. He has been absent in my life for 20+ years.

The FAP folks say there is no way to bend on the requirements. IF I can find someone not related to me who would attest to my estrangement, and have the letter notarized, I could send it to AMCAS and they would evaluate my situation. Who is not related to me yet knows the past 30+ years of my life?

My dad walking out 30 something years ago still screws me over it seems. And the vast AMCAS system seems utterly incapable of dealing with real life situations. So, no FAP for me because my dad abandoned us.

Yes, I'm bitter. And $2K poorer because of it.

Not to diverge from the initial post, but I still have a big gripe with the FAP.

I am old (mid thirties) with a wife and kids. Broke as can be with an EFC of zero. The FAP requires financial information from both parents.

From my mother? Ya, no problem, I could get that. She doesn't have/make any money, but I could get the info.

My father? Uhhh, I'm not even sure where he lives currently. And we certainly don't have the type of relationship where I could ask about his financial status. He has been absent in my life for 20+ years.

The FAP folks say there is no way to bend on the requirements. IF I can find someone not related to me who would attest to my estrangement, and have the letter notarized, I could send it to AMCAS and they would evaluate my situation. Who is not related to me yet knows the past 30+ years of my life?

My dad walking out 30 something years ago still screws me over it seems. And the vast AMCAS system seems utterly incapable of dealing with real life situations. So, no FAP for me because my dad abandoned us.

I just have parents that despite having money to help actively tell their children no. “We didn’t go to college and are successful. You wanna go to MED school? Cool, there are loans.” Doesn’t matter that I have a spouse and child.

Edit: This sounds whiny. It is their money to do what they want to do, and I hold no grudges or anger or anything. Just a little disappointing

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
No every school honors it. I applied this past cycle to 23 schools and they all waived secondaries

Reactions: 1 user

The program definitely isn’t perfect. I had a friend in a similar position as you but he was estranged from both parents and they were both successful. He wad screwed out of the program

I wish I qualified for FAP. Unfortunately it takes information from both parents regardless of if you live with both or either of them.

I will have to dig through my savings that I spent the past 3 years working towards. So sad.

No every school honors it. I applied this past cycle to 23 schools and they all waived secondaries

Not every. I cannot remember but some will make your secondary cheaper.

I applied to 25 schools and didn’t pay for any secondaries, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is FAP perfect? Absolutely not. They’re as fair as they can be, though. If it didn’t require parental info, most of us would qualify. If all we had to say was “my parent doesn’t support me” I guarantee you most people would say so.

As a FAP recipient, the circumstances behind me qualifying obviously sucked. However, the way I look at it, even 30 somethings can still receive parental support. Not a perfect system, but, it is better than the “honor” system that your well off parents don’t help you out lol

Reactions: 2 users
How much do you pay for medical school designations after the 20 you get for free from FAP?

If I apply to more than 20 schools, I understand I'll have to pay to send my primary to any more than the 20. But does this also apply for secondaries?

What's the cost of each primary after the first 20 that are waived?

That’s weird.. I had a similar situation and had to email the FAP people and explained that my dad has not been in my life since we immigrated to the US almost 20 years ago. I don’t know where he lives and have no contact with him. They sent me a form to fill out and have two people sign confirming my statement (just do it on Microsoft word and then you can have a friend or family member digitally sign on a pdf version). I sent it in and within a day or two the portion that has asked for my fathers info was blocked and I could submit the application. I got approved the same week. If you haven’t submitted all your secondaries I would take the time to do this.

I applied to 40 MD schools, mostly mid/low tiers. I only had to pay for two secondaries which was Tulane (I think full secondary price) and another school that reduced the price to half.

Rush doesn't require your parents' financial info to determine need-based scholarships if you are over 30. I know that doesn't help all you non-trads (looking at you @MemeLord), but pretty nice nonetheless. Not sure if there are any other schools that do that.

Rush doesn't require your parents' financial info to determine need-based scholarships if you are over 30. I know that doesn't help all you non-trads (looking at you @MemeLord), but pretty nice nonetheless. Not sure if there are any other schools that do that.
I believe Stanford as well has a cut off of 30, and I believe Dartmouth only looks at applicant income for need based grants

@MemeLord I still don't understand how you've lived so much life and are still very young. Did you do ROTC? How are you a vet and in college and somehow managed to have a family at the same time?

@MemeLord I still don't understand how you've lived so much life and are still very young. Did you do ROTC? How are you a vet and in college and somehow managed to have a family at the same time?
With a lot of piss poor planning and simultaneity in activity. No ROTC, but feel free to PM me if you want the details (I apparently tell my story way too often on here lol)