FASFA for Pre-Pharm

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PHeller, May 31, 2008.

1. PHeller

PHeller Asking Q?'s for the GF

Pre-Pharmacy
    As a Biology Major with hopes to transfer into a Pharmacy program, can I apply on my FASFA for those loans for Health Care students?

My parents make too much for me to get big benefits of Federal Loans, but they also don't help me at all either.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aznkukuboi

Pharmacist
    ummm... You are not applying for the 'graduate' part are you? Because pharm students get little to nada in grad school.

4. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I'm pretty sure you cannot get the Health Care students loans as a pre-pharm but you can look into it. I think you'll have to go the route of private loans but take as much as you can out of the Federal loans first since they have better rates.

5. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!

Pharmacist
    Nope, those are considered graduate student loans and right now your an undergrad. It won't even be an option once your awarded financial aid. They will give you all of your options on your award letter.

6. Aggie07

Pharmacy Student
    The OP can't apply as a graduate student as they are not one. However, your statement is completely false.

7. bacillus1

Pharmacist
    You mean the federal health professions loan? If you can't get a stafford loan, chances are you won't be able to get a health professions loan, since those are given to very few people, mostly low-income.

When I was applying for prepharm, only the most expensive school (Northeastern) gave me a health professions loan. I chose not to go there because it was far from home and USP seemed like it had a better reputation and was just a little bit cheaper.

8. aznkukuboi

Pharmacist
    I love how you just blatantly stated how wrong. While I do not have much knowledge on FAFSA, you could have just put it in a more polite manner.

I remember filling out FAFSA and checked that my 2008-2009 year would be studying for a graduate degree. My friend says all he got were loans and not much more. But he did get quite a lot for undergrad.... 30k to be exact.

9. IrishRxMan

Pharmacy Student
    I am going into my second year and yes, the federal government pulls the possibility of free money, i.e. pell grants, for anyone other than first degree seekers and that is for undergrad only. You can still get stafford loans and most likely you will have to take out some grad plus loans depending on your cost of tuition. They will not let you take out more than what the estimated cost of attendance will be so if you need more, you'll then have to resort to private loans.

10. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Pharmacist
    You can't get health professions loans without being enrolled in a health professions program. Before professional school, all of your loans are the undergrad loans.

Don't expect any grants in pharm school. The government knows you can afford to pay them back at graduation.

11. bacillus1

Pharmacist
    Well I thought prepharm was still a health profession, no?
    I know NEU would give me a health professions loan as a freshman, but that's a 0-6 program.