Fast interview decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my PTCAS app was officially mailed out to my schools last Tuesday. I got an interview invite from one of them only two days later for this coming December. On top of that, I only have one week to RSVP (tomorrow=deadline). I applied to a lot of schools and was kind of hoping I'd have heard from a few more before deciding whether or not to spend the money and time to attend this particular interview, which is very far away. They do give you the option to decline the interview and attend a later date if it becomes available, but that sounds risky considering they're clearly filling the class quickly.

Is this normal? Anyone else getting these extremely quick decisions? I mean, I understand the concept of rolling admissions, but damn.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd accept the interview for the earliest date possible. If you get an acceptance from a school you prefer before booking your ticket, cancel the interview. You've made the sacrifices and put in the hard work to get into your favorite program. But you don't want to decline/postpone/cancel an interview without having an official acceptance to fall back on. I wouldn't at all worry about inconveniencing a school by cancelling an interview after I got into a preferred program.

Last edited:
I'd take the interview. Take what you get. It's not something you really want to chance if you haven't heard from anywhere else.

What school is it, if you don't mind sharing? You can PM me if you want.

I ended up having to push it back, but the adcom I was speaking to made it sound like going to the later interview wouldn't have an effect on my chances of getting in. I'm not sure if that's entirely true but turns out I had no choice anyway. I was invited to the Dec 7 interview and ended up taking the Jan 11 date. I don't mind sharing the school: UNE. It was definitely one of my safety schools, but has a good program from what I've heard and read.

The other schools I applied to are sending out interview decisions in early December at the earliest, so at least by the January interview date I'll have a better idea of where I stand with the other places I applied. I'm certainly not turning anyone down outright considering how competitive it seems to be this cycle.

Last edited: