fast rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charleslin1118

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got a super fast rejection email from indiana university today saying that my application is not competitive. however i think my stats are ok...
PA 22 AA 21 TS 21 (reading comp being the lowest: 17), GPA 3.5+ sci GPA 3.6+.. Should i call them to ask for the reasons/details?? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed and they responded pretty quick...told me my DAT was too low and to consider a SMP but the funny thing is I am going to Barry in the fall for the Biomedical Sciences masters....guess they dont care about that....18AA, 21PAT, 18TS (but QR 15)! Talked to ohio state today too and they said to be competitive i need a 21 AA, and 22 PAT b/c my gpa is a 3.44....they said I need to be around a 3.67 when I graduate with my masters! WOW!

Members don't see this ad :)
screw them!, that happened to me last year... i had AA22, and Ts 23, an i got rejected, not as fast as yours though! dont worry about ur stats and u will definitely get accepted to a better school. I think some schools which have lower stats, they tend to reject better students, cause they'll know if u get accepted to a better school u will turn down their acceptance!

oh i am CA resident and i submitted my application through aadsas on 6/17

21+ AA to be competitive? Isn't 19 the average for matriculants!?

I am in the same boat (17 in RC), anyone care to share about any other dental schools having this 18 cutoff?

i got a super fast rejection email from indiana university today saying that my application is not competitive. however i think my stats are ok...
PA 22 AA 21 TS 21 (reading comp being the lowest: 17), GPA 3.5+ sci GPA 3.6+.. Should i call them to ask for the reasons/details?? :(
That probably means they have a cutoff for RC (Perhaps a cutoff score of 18 for this section). Of course, with your DAT scores many schools will be willing to bend their rules regarding cutoffs and at least grant you an interview, but if these people have rejected you this fast, it's most likely because they have some strict cutoffs, which they're not willing to bend specially for an out of state student.
Relax! with those scores I'm sure you'll hear some good news from some Cali schools.
Last year I got a super early rejection from Loma Linda (why? It's christian school and I'm not a christian!!). Yet, both UCLA and UCSF (both of which are much more competitive than loma linda) gave me interviews.

Has a non-christrian ever gained admission to loma linda?

Has a non-christrian ever gained admission to loma linda?
I don't know. They invited my friend for an interview last year (she's also not a christian), and they were quite impressed with her during the interview. Yet, a week later, they sent her a rejection letter.
I mean the entire secondary application is about Jesus:laugh: So, I wouldn't be surprised if they've never granted admission to a non-christian!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I don't get...

I think it may be safe to say that LLU is biased towards christians, seventh day adventist more specifically, but isn't that discrimination? What's all that junk about no discrimination based on sexual orientation, religion, color, ect?

Then at the same time, we always hear the "it's a private school they can do as they please" line....

Any civil rights activists in the house?

I think it may be safe to say that LLU is biased towards christians, seventh day adventist more specifically, but isn't that discrimination? What's all that junk about no discrimination based on sexual orientation, religion, color, ect?

Then at the same time, we always hear the "it's a private school they can do as they please" line....

Yea! That's what I heard last year. Since the church owns the school they can actually do as they wish!
How come that doesn't apply to any other private businesses. Let's say someone owns a restaurant, and he/she refuses to provide service to African American customers. That's pretty much like bringing back the Jim Crow Laws. Don't you get into a lot of **** for that, even though the restaurant is a privately owned business? How come the same principle doesn't apply to schools such as Loma Linda?

Just as is said above, it all boils down to the term "private." By law, any private school can discriminate racially, academically, or xxxx-ially to their liking. Howard and particularly, Meharry, cater to students overwhelmingly likely to give back to an underprivileged community. Is that discriminatory? well, yes...but is that morally or lawfully wrong?...absolutely not. Every school has an academic mission, whether it be concordant with their mission statement or not. Regardless, you have to cater to a schools' needs. Don't speak against Loma Linda if they rejected your 22/22/22 3.8 and you weren't an overwhelmingly religious applicant. They clearly gratify a specific application-base and do well pulling from said base. Many students do so with significantly different applicant pools.

In terms of rejections, nobody should be upset by a single rejection. Because every school caters to such a specific clientèle, any number of things could result in no interview. My somewhat mediocre RC resulted in a couple unexpected rejections from schools with strict RC requirements, despite my GPA, AA, TS, and PAT.

Yea! That's what I heard last year. Since the church owns the school they can actually do as they wish!
How come that doesn't apply to any other private businesses. Let's say someone owns a restaurant, and he/she refuses to provide service to African American customers. That's pretty much like bringing back the Jim Crow Laws. Don't you get into a lot of **** for that, even though the restaurant is a privately owned business? How come the same principle doesn't apply to schools such as Loma Linda?

Well it is privately owned so in fact there is no law against it. If the business did interstate commerce then it could be a federal issue but as long as their are in there private business they can reject whoever they want for whatever reasons they want.

Should talk to Howard and Meharry first.

Wow that sounds crazy, some of these automatic cutoffs seem crazy! Your stats are awesome, its too bad.

That probably means they have a cutoff for RC (Perhaps a cutoff score of 18 for this section). Of course, with your DAT scores many schools will be willing to bend their rules regarding cutoffs and at least grant you an interview, but if these people have rejected you this fast, it's most likely because they have some strict cutoffs, which they're not willing to bend specially for an out of state student.
Relax! with those scores I'm sure you'll hear some good news from some Cali schools.
Last year I got a super early rejection from Loma Linda (why? It's christian school and I'm not a christian!!). Yet, both UCLA and UCSF (both of which are much more competitive than loma linda) gave me interviews.

Probably because your GPA is very competitive. I think Cali schools, esp UCLA and UCSF is out of reach for me

i got the rejection email only a few days after they emailed me saying my app was received, eventhough my second DAT scores havent arrived yet. Whatever i consider this a good thing, i would never want to live in indiana haha

i got the rejection email only a few days after they emailed me saying my app was received, eventhough my second DAT scores havent arrived yet. Whatever i consider this a good thing, i would never want to live in indiana haha

So even though you indicated you would have new scores sent in, they still didn't wait to receive those and review your file? When did you/are you planning on taking your second DAT?

come on guys, read the fine print on school's websites regarding cut offs! Save money in this recession!

I'm sorry, but confident you'll get in elsewhere and at least you avoided their "problem based learning." That stuff sounds miserable!

I think it may be safe to say that LLU is biased towards christians, seventh day adventist more specifically, but isn't that discrimination? What's all that junk about no discrimination based on sexual orientation, religion, color, ect

Guys, come on. The Constitution enumerates limitations on government, not everyone. The government can't discriminate based on race, sex, religion, etc, and they can't make laws that do so. Private business, on the other hand, are free to refuse service to whomever they want.

If a private dental school wanted to have an all white student body, they are legally allowed to do so (at least by the Constitution). But, for example, the ABA these days won't accredit law schools that aren't diverse enough (who knows how they decide what is and isn't enough), so schools either have to comply or lose their accreditation. I'm sure this happens in other fields as well. Not to mention, an all-white school is going to get **** on by society, so customers (students) won't want to go there. It's a bad business decision to reject minorities.

If LLU receives any federal funding (NIH grants, etc) then they must adhere to federal guidelines against discrimination or face losing funding. Now....has anyone complained yet?

So even though you indicated you would have new scores sent in, they still didn't wait to receive those and review your file? When did you/are you planning on taking your second DAT?

my DAT is next wednesday (7/22). so ya they reviewed my application even though it is incomplete and rejected me lol. i'll be giving them a call next week

my DAT is next wednesday (7/22). so ya they reviewed my application even though it is incomplete and rejected me lol. i'll be giving them a call next week

Wow noles are you serious? They rejected you before you took the DAT? Damn I'm sorry. Did they email or call you? And what did they say?

i got the same generic "Not being considered" email as the other posters. I find this ridiculous that they rejected me already without complete app materials, especially when others wont even apply to their school till september or even later. as i said earlier i dont really care, i dont want to live in indiana and i'm not buying into the PBL as a "superior" method

Last edited:
i got the same generic "Not being considered" email as the other posters. I find this ridiculous that they rejected me already without complete app materials, especially when others wont even apply to their school till september or even later. as i said earlier i dont really care, i dont want to live in indiana and i'm not buying into the PBL as a "superior" method

Noles,
did you get an email from there saying ur application is complete and then got the rejection letter or just got the rejection letter? just wondering. thanks

just an email verifying it was received from AADSAS. nothing about it being complete or needing other materials like most other schools have been sending

noles,

Maybe they just dont like FSU grads!

That doesn't make any sense....why would they reject someone when they haven't submitted DAT scores?

That doesn't make any sense....why would they reject someone when they haven't submitted DAT scores?

I know!!! Thats scares the s*** out of me!!!! lol:mad: They didnt even give him a chance.....

I know!!! Thats scares the s*** out of me!!!! lol:mad: They didnt even give him a chance.....

yeah..something is not right here. Has anyone tried contacting the school for an explanation?? Rejection without DAT scores is just messed up unless their was some extreme circumstances.

if they just simply reject students like that, what is the point for us to study like in hell and try to get good scores and try to become competitive candidates? for what this school has done, all of the hard work will pay for NOTHING...GOD...wont they even care about studnets? not even try to think how much time students has spend on this? yeah, they are the people who can decided whatever they want...for example, easily destory our dreams without even giving a chance to students to try...not fair at all! Call them and ask for an explanation !!

You must have not mentioned that you will take the dat again. so they looked at your first score and used that to review your application. you needed to indicate your future test date on AADSAS! I'm sorry about your rejection!

if they just simply reject students like that, what is the point for us to study like in hell and try to get good scores and try to become competitive candidates? for what this school has done, all of the hard work will pay for NOTHING...GOD...wont they even care about studnets? not even try to think how much time students has spend on this? yeah, they are the people who can decided whatever they want...for example, easily destory our dreams without even giving a chance to students to try...not fair at all! Call them and ask for an explanation !!
Save yourself the headache and don't call. This is the busiest time of the year for them. So, it's unlikely they'll take the time to give you a reasonable explanation for your rejection. They'll probably say you weren't competitive enough or something like that. The truth of the matter is that the people who decide to reject you are members of the admission committee, and it's almost impossible to directly talk to these people. If you're lucky, you may be able to speak with the admission coordinator and he/she simply doesn't have the answer to your question regarding your rejection.