Fastest evolving medical specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cassowary

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialty would you say is evolving the most rapidly in medicine, with the most research or new therapies, drugs, procedures, or procedures?

I have read neurology and hematology/oncology will be vastly different in the future than what they are now due to the research in these fields. Also as everyone knows, machine learning is said to change how radiology and pathology will be practiced with the jury out on how exactly these fields will be changed.

What other fields are changing?

Members don't see this ad.

Over the next 30 years, medical genetics is going to evolve the most by far as a specialty and as a huge component within every field of medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Psychiatry without a doubt will change and grow the most within our lifetime

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed on medical genetics. Which residency would that apply to though?

And I have to disagree on paychiatry. Would you elaborate? Because the most I foresee is a few other editions of the DSM being released.

Also as everyone knows, machine learning is said to change how radiology and pathology will be practiced

I think people oversell the impact AI will have on radiology, and vastly underestimate the impact AI (or especially midlevel + AI) is going to have on other fields:

The Artificial Intelligence Clinician learns optimal treatment strategies for sepsis in intensive care
We demonstrate that the value of the AI Clinician’s selected treatment is on average reliably higher than human clinicians. In a large validation cohort independent of the training data, mortality was lowest in patients for whom clinicians’ actual doses matched the AI decisions. Our model provides individualized and clinically interpretable treatment decisions for sepsis that could improve patient outcomes.

Reactions: 5 users
I think people oversell the impact AI will have on radiology, and vastly underestimate the impact AI (or especially midlevel + AI) is going to have on other fields:

The Artificial Intelligence Clinician learns optimal treatment strategies for sepsis in intensive care

Despite having been around a while, knowledge couplers aren't really in widespread use. Here's an article from 2010 on their use in a primary care practice: The Use of Problem-Knowledge Couplers in a Primary Care Practice

That said, as newer generations of physicians become more and more comfortable with DDx checklists, etc., we quite probably will see a more "AI-assisted" approach to primary care, which would certainly also increase the ability of midlevels to function independent of physician supervision.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say interventional cardiology.

Just 25 years ago you had to crack a chest to fix coronaries and valves. Now these guys are doing it through a catheter. Who knows what's coming in the future? Improved pVADs for sure and maybe directed stem cell therapy

Last edited:
Agreed on medical genetics. Which residency would that apply to though?

And I have to disagree on paychiatry. Would you elaborate? Because the most I foresee is a few other editions of the DSM being released.
We are starting to approach entirely new treatment options (opioid kappa antagonists, ketamine derivatives, LSD, etc etc) to the point that it seems likely the number of psychiatric drugs will double in the next 20 years. We are also starting to uncover new pathophysiological mechanisms for diseases like schizophrenia (inflammatory and immune variants seem to exist that we might be able to treat and reverse) and depression (microbiomes and other factors that can be influenced and changed). Psych will likely be unrecognizable in 30 years.

Reactions: 3 users
We are starting to approach entirely new treatment options (opioid kappa antagonists, ketamine derivatives, LSD, etc etc) to the point that it seems likely the number of psychiatric drugs will double in the next 20 years. We are also starting to uncover new pathophysiological mechanisms for diseases like schizophrenia (inflammatory and immune variants seem to exist that we might be able to treat and reverse) and depression (microbiomes and other factors that can be influenced and changed). Psych will likely be unrecognizable in 30 years.
Jk, meth, cocaine, heroin, pcp, THC.

Who’d have thought.

NYT article on autoimmune neurology

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical genetics is gonna have its hand in everything, but how it goes about carving out it's larger claim is gonna be interesting. I expect it to be synergistic fields like plastics, IM, FM, and MFM for doing reconstructing (Plastics) or treating/curing genetic conditions.

Medical genetics is gonna have its hand in everything, but how it goes about carving out it's larger claim is gonna be interesting. I expect it to be synergistic fields like plastics, IM, FM, and MFM for doing reconstructing (Plastics) or treating/curing genetic conditions.
My bet is that medical genetics is huge but that the field itself doesn't grow much since it'll largely be genetic drugs developed by companies to be used by other fields

Reactions: 2 users
My bet is that medical genetics is huge but that the field itself doesn't grow much since it'll largely be genetic drugs developed by companies to be used by other fields
Yeah, that'll probably be how it actually is. My view is that of a dreamer and optimist about the possibilities of CRISPR and co.

I’d says psychiatry, as discussed above, and oncology/immunology, which I think will grow together and complement each other.

interventional radiology. We used to consult them so much in IM. The diversity of procedures they can do is crazy.

interventional radiology. We used to consult them so much in IM. The diversity of procedures they can do is crazy.

True but unfortunately they are not the ones who are able to reap the rewards of their amazing innovations. Cards took angiogram/plasty years ago...EVARs belong to Vascular/Cards now...even NeuroIR is heading towards NSGY

Ugh I'm of the opinion that legislation of drugs is government overstepping beyond it's boundaries and to an extent, totalitarian. Government has a specific set of duties/roles and that level of drug regulation is beyond the scope of legislative oversight. Healthy or unhealthy, with or without the potential for therapeutic use, all drugs should be available for everyone in a free market. The current restrictions are emblematic of people losing sight of their freedoms and open-mindedness. Public production of any drug/supplement should exist, and no prescriptions should be needed to obtain them.

Last edited:
Ugh I'm of the opinion that legislation of drugs is government overstepping beyond it's boundaries and to an extent, totalitarian. Government has a specific set of duties/roles and that level of drug regulation is beyond the scope of legislative oversight. Healthy or unhealthy, with or without the potential for therapeutic use--it is emblematic of people losing sight of their freedoms and open-mindedness. Public production of any drug/supplement should exist, and no prescriptions should be needed to obtain them.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 2 users
Another vote for heme/onc. Some day chemo radiation and surgery will seem so brash and barbaric.

Biased because I'm thinking strongly about going into the field, but I'll throw my hat into the ring for pathology. Despite the doom and gloom about the job market, I think few specialties are as uniquely positioned as pathology to benefit from the changes and insights that will be brought about by big data.

Heme/onc, rheum, and genetics.

Doesn't a decent part of that cross over into neurology?

Biased because I'm thinking strongly about going into the field, but I'll throw my hat into the ring for pathology. Despite the doom and gloom about the job market, I think few specialties are as uniquely positioned as pathology to benefit from the changes and insights that will be brought about by big data.
Please explain; because this machine learning is the only reason I decided against pursuing diagnostic radiology. There is a small but very real possibility that radiologists will either lose their jobs or decrease their compensation. I see no way which the their work can be benefitted. Even if it is 20 years in the future, that means if I do pursue radiology, at age 43 I would be obsolete. It is simply too risky to base an entire career around it.
This sentiment is shared by many leading experts in AI.
Besides that, I see it as a perfect specialty so it is very unfortunate.

I’m wary of making this post for fear I steer this thread to AI’s impact on medicine and radiology. There is enough literature on it.

Please explain; because this machine learning is the only reason I decided against pursuing diagnostic radiology. There is a small but very real possibility that radiologists will either lose their jobs or decrease their compensation. I see no way which the their work can be benefitted. Even if it is 20 years in the future, that means if I do pursue radiology, at age 43 I would be obsolete. It is simply too risky to base an entire career around it.
This sentiment is shared by many leading experts in AI.
Besides that, I see it as a perfect specialty so it is very unfortunate.

I’m wary of making this post for fear I steer this thread to AI’s impact on medicine and radiology. There is enough literature on it.

Well the question originally asked in this thread regards the fastest evolving medical specialty, and AI is likely going to be part of that equation, so I don't think the discussion is entirely off-topic; however, I hope this thread doesn't steer too far into that territory either.

I'm not sure what the consensus is regarding the timeline of radiologists becoming obsolete amongst experts in AI, but from what I've seen on this forum at least, I think many people see it as being more like 30-40 years away. I think that there are still many technical and regulatory barriers for AI to overcome in order to become better than a human radiologist, and I think until that day does come (if it does), it has the potential to improve the radiologist's workflow, increasing the number of scans they can read and actually making them more productive. Moreover IMO, there is so much focus on AI/machine learning eventually taking over the clinician's role and not enough focus on how it can make the radiologist even more valuable to patient care. For example, one could imagine that AI/machine learning may be able to detect patterns based on imaging features and combine that with clinical/genomic data to make prognostic determinations and predictive recommendations that could not have otherwise been made (I believe this is one of the goal's of the field of radiogenomics). In that sense, I think AI/machine learning has the potential to make the radiologist even more valuable to patient care than they already are, which would certainly be a plus for going into the specialty.

My rationale for considering pathology is similar. Currently, pathologists serve a crucial role as consultants to clinicians in providing diagnostic information that helps drive patient care in a major way. Now, there are recent papers showing that for certain use cases, prognostication using AI/machine learning analysis of H&E images can be more accurate than traditional pathological grading/staging. One could imagine that adding genomics and clinical data as features into these algorithms could improve the accuracy of these models even more. In this scenario, not only can the pathologist provide the diagnosis, but may be able to provide additional prognostic information to the treatment team that was previously unavailable before AI. Certain imaging and genomics features may even allow us to predict which patients will respond best to which treatment. I don't think anyone is better positioned than pathologists to provide this information, considering they have access to the imaging and genetic signatures of patient's samples. Obviously there is more to pathology than tumors, but when it comes to cancer, I could see a world (or at least hope to) in which the pathologist's role is almost like that of a data scientist, integrating different tumor markers, imaging features, and patient characteristics to help guide prognostication and treatment selection (which is essentially what they already do, just without the help of AI analyzing massive data sets and the insights that may come from doing that).

Last edited:
There is a reason we have the same board and a third of our board exam is neurology. Psychiatry is basically just the neurology of madness

I read something I remember extremely vaguely (meaning I could be wrong) but neurologists can bill insurance companies for doing an exam on patients that psychiatrists are meant to do. I wish i could remember more details

I read something I remember extremely vaguely (meaning I could be wrong) but neurologists can bill insurance companies for doing an exam on patients that psychiatrists are meant to do. I wish i could remember more details

Like an MSE?

Hopeful that neurology will evolve. I am not going into it, but I imagine that plenty of advancements will come into Alzheimer's, stroke, seizures, epilepsy.

Probably nurse practitioners. They’ve seem to have figured out how to get an equivalent education in 1/50th the time while doing most of it online. And they can do so according to them in multiple specialties. Plus they care. Right @Psai ?