Fatima vs DLSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lab_rat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all!
Im trying to decide which is a better school for medicine...
Fatima has affiliations with US hospitals in new york and chicago where students can rotate.. But it would cost roughly $20000 more! (approx 5000 for each rotation-affiliation fee)
DLSU has a better reputation in the phils.. It also has sister schools all over the world (lasallian schools)..
Im disregarding Manila schools because I really dont want to live in manila for 4 years... ( I think valenzuela (fatima) and dasmarinas (DLSU) is a lot more conducive for learning..)

Can anyone please help me with this dilemma?
Has anyone on this forum gone to these schools or is presently in one of them?
Basically, I want to enrol in the school that will give me a better chance of getting a residency in the US...

Members don't see this ad.

lab_rat said:
Hi to all!
Fatima has affiliations with US hospitals in new york and chicago where students can rotate.. But it would cost roughly $20000 more! (approx 5000 for each rotation-affiliation fee)
DLSU has a better reputation in the phils.. It also has sister schools all over the world (lasallian schools)..
Im disregarding Manila schools because I really dont want to live in manila for 4 years... ( I think valenzuela (fatima) and dasmarinas (DLSU) is a lot more conducive for learning..)

Basically, I want to enrol in the school that will give me a better chance of getting a residency in the US...

Well, I'm not in either one of these schools you mentioned. But neither of the schools will give you a better chance in getting a residency in US. As you know..being an international medical graduate alone puts you in a disadvantage. It really depends on your USMLE scores, your medical school grades, and of course your US experience..basically, get a good letter of recommendation from any US hospitals you did any of your rotation. I've heard from other students in Fatima that they do have affiliation in US hospitals, but it costs so much. UERM also lets you do your 4th year rotation, but it costs a lot plus..as you've heard there's a $10,000 donation fee...When do you plan on studying to Philippine med. school?? Do you plan on doing a few months of rotation in US hospitals? or do you plan to do the entire 4th year rotation in US? I think that's the question I would've asked...coz I know most Philippine med. schools doesn't let their students do an entire year of rotation in US...only a few...

Serenity08

thanks for the info.. im planning on going to med school next june...
im not planning on doing my entire 4th year here in the US but I would like to get at least 2 LORs from US attendings...
the reason why im even considering fatima is that they have US affiliations... (that seems to be their selling point..)
I really appreciate any other info you can share...
Are you in med school or do you already have your MD?

lab_rat

Members don't see this ad :)
lab_rat said:
im not planning on doing my entire 4th year here in the US but I would like to get at least 2 LORs from US attendings...
the reason why im even considering fatima is that they have US affiliations... (that seems to be their selling point..)

lab_rat

Well, you don't really have to go to Fatima just because of their US hospital affiliation coz I know that you can apply to any med. schools here in US for about 3 months rotation for a lesser price than Fatima will ask of its students. Also, there are agencies where you can apply through them and they set up your rotations to US med school hospitals or their affiliates...that's what I'm considering coz I don't really like going to Manila...I like to just stay in Cebu since it's more comfortable for me and the schools are really good too....but I plan to do my entire 4th year in US just because I want to make sure I'm very much familiar with the US system and all coz I want to be prepared for residency....I don't really see any reason why I need to spend part of my 4th year rotation in Philippines considering that I wanna practice in US...and besides....you get the chance to have rotation during your 3rd year ...And no...I'm not in medical school yet....hopefull in 2007 I will be going there....but not right now...I'm finishing up some studies. ...Well, hope that helps..

If you are not doing your entire 4th year in the US, most schools will allow you to do it. In many cases, you have to arrange for it yourself. You can ask DLSU administration for the procedure. They might be helpful.

lab_rat said:

lab_rat

- Here's another info about doing rotations in the states. In feu, they allow you to do rotations there. but it's all depends on the departments. ie, dept of medicine might allow you to go. but the dept of surgery might not let you go. especially for community and family medicine department. They require you to finish their 2 months rotations here in the philippines. and besides, i don't think having your rotations here is a bad idea. coz you might do some of the sensitive procedures here that you would never imagine of doing it. so my suggestion is, you can do some of your rotations in the states that you think that could help you for your applications for residency in the future. coz either way, you'll still get your needed experience.

I graduated from the Philippines in 2002 and am finishing up my internal medicine residency here in the US.

If I were you, I would do rotations in the US for the specialities you plan on applying too... I did a subinternship in New York for Internal medicine. But I only did 1 month. The rest of the time I spent in the Philippines, and I don't regret it.

While the academic challenge is posed differently in the United States, the 3rd and 4th year students as a whole do not nearly get the clinical type of experience the clerks get in the philippines. I got to perform appendectomies, C-Sections on my own (surpervised of course) and countless vaginal deliveries and other procedures myself. Due to the litiginous culture in the US, you will not get the opportunity to do as much in the US.

So I would do a few rotations in the US, get your experience in the system here, get your letters of rec, but don't discount what the Philippines clerkship will offer. You do not want to miss out on this experience because you will never get the opportunity to do procedures outside of your specialty once you get into residency.

just my 2 cents

lab_rat said:
Hi to all!

I don't know if this helps at all. But i heard one filam went to DLSU for med school one last school year...he later went to Fatima i believe this school year. I'm not sure if he restarted his first year or not.

Also for me...i'd rather live in manila since there is at least a night life..but i don't know about the area around DLSU to be honest. Depends on you of course.

Thanks for all the info!!
It has all been very helpful!
thanks again!!

Well, you don't really have to go to Fatima just because of their US hospital affiliation coz I know that you can apply to any med. schools here in US for about 3 months rotation for a lesser price than Fatima will ask of its students. Also, there are agencies where you can apply through them and they set up your rotations to US med school hospitals or their affiliates...that's what I'm considering coz I don't really like going to Manila...I like to just stay in Cebu since it's more comfortable for me and the schools are really good too....but I plan to do my entire 4th year in US just because I want to make sure I'm very much familiar with the US system and all coz I want to be prepared for residency....I don't really see any reason why I need to spend part of my 4th year rotation in Philippines considering that I wanna practice in US...and besides....you get the chance to have rotation during your 3rd year ...And no...I'm not in medical school yet....hopefull in 2007 I will be going there....but not right now...I'm finishing up some studies. ...Well, hope that helps..

Hi! I just came across your post. I'm planning on attending Fatima this year as well and I'm scoping the forums for added information and possible advice on a plan of action. How did you go about planning out your clinical rotations? Do you plan on doing the complete 4th year in the US or just some rotations of specialization in the US and the rest in the Philippines? Did you hire a third party agency to schedule your rotations in the US?

Hi! I just came across your post. I'm planning on attending Fatima this year as well and I'm scoping the forums for added information and possible advice on a plan of action. How did you go about planning out your clinical rotations? Do you plan on doing the complete 4th year in the US or just some rotations of specialization in the US and the rest in the Philippines? Did you hire a third party agency to schedule your rotations in the US?

heyy hperera,

im going to fatima too..this september. if u want, u should join the facebook page..search "fatima september 2011". see you soon!