You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Favorite Career Options other than MD or DO school
Started by nysegop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I would have picked Dentistry if it had to be a healthcare field.
If not, I would have liked to be a historian.
Actually I would have liked to be a historian (I majored in history). Unfortunately, the Ph.D. glut is so huge that there's no employment for it. So I hedged my bets on medicine, and now I'm going to med school.
If not, I would have liked to be a historian.
Actually I would have liked to be a historian (I majored in history). Unfortunately, the Ph.D. glut is so huge that there's no employment for it. So I hedged my bets on medicine, and now I'm going to med school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I chose podiatry just because you can still do surgery and the lifestyle + pay seems pretty good. Still, I'd rather do the traditional MD route.
I agree.
However, as of now, i'm really thinking about the thought of pursuing a Ph.D...
I find that I do better intellectually when I can just free my mind, not think about structured science (i.e. medicine, chemistry, biology, etc).
I feel that physics would probably be a best thing for me, and maybe perhaps double majoring in computer science/computer engineering, which both allow for more creativity.
I chose nursing because as a NP you can still prescribe people medication (except for narcotics). I want to work in a clinical setting (Hospital) and don't care about my pay. I mean I'd rather be a doctor but if that falls through I'm not above going to nursing school.
From what I see, becoming a nurse anesthetist is a good job so I guess that. Would easily get a good living (6 figures) and it doesn't seem like their job is real tough..
If not medical though, I really don't know what. I prefer having no back ups; makes me work harder 😀
If not medical though, I really don't know what. I prefer having no back ups; makes me work harder 😀
For me personally, It'd be Pharmacy.
I would consider pharmacy but it's so over-saturated it isn't even funny.
I would consider pharmacy but it's so over-saturated it isn't even funny.
And it involves way too much chemistry for my liking 🙂
I would consider pharmacy but it's so over-saturated it isn't even funny.
The only thing i find over-saturated about it is the repetition.
And it involves way too much chemistry for my liking 🙂
I'm a Chemistry fan so it wouldn't bother me 😀
Research (Just PhD)
Just!?!? I've read dropout rates from 50-70 percent for some programs. Some programs are incredibly demanding.
Just!??!?!?!?!?!?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just!?!? I've read dropout rates from 50-70 percent for some programs. Some programs are incredibly demanding.
Just!??!?!?!?!?!?
we're hardcore bro, that's nothing 😉
Nurses heal, doctors diagnose. I feel like if the pay was higher more would of chosen that over dentistry.
Just!?!? I've read dropout rates from 50-70 percent for some programs. Some programs are incredibly demanding.
Just!??!?!?!?!?!?
It was poorly phrased on my part. Haha. I mean only PhD as in PhD without the MD.
What are those cartoons from?
King of the Hill.
whenever I'm feeling upset, I sit back and dream of pimping like Hank
Always makes me feel better.
whenever I'm feeling upset, I sit back and dream of pimping like Hank
![]()
Always makes me feel better.
When I first heard him say that I Laughed so hard! That entire episode had me LOL'ing
I actually had that as a ring tone too

When I first heard him say that I Laughed so hard! That entire episode had me LOL'ing
I actually had that as a ring tone too![]()
i need his "baaaaaahhh" tho

i'm 23...it makes me happy you kids still watch King of the Hill
Lol I love it. The more and more I watch it the more I wonder why it ended.
And sorry for hijacking the thread lol, I'll give it back now 😀
So what makes you guys so interested in research? (it seems to be the most popular)
Lol.
I'm surprised dentistry beats both Nursing and Podiatry. Only 1 veterinary surprises me too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol.
I'm surprised dentistry beats both Nursing and Podiatry. Only 1 veterinary surprises me too.
I'm surprised from the amount of dentistry. Didn't expect that many people to be interested in it, but I guess I understand why. I just think nursing is better
I wonder, we got any proctologists out there?

I'm surprised from the amount of dentistry. Didn't expect that many people to be interested in it, but I guess I understand why. I just think nursing is better
I wonder, we got any proctologists out there?![]()
For me I would choose in this order:
-Podiatry (Mainly because it involves surgery 🙂
-Nursing
-Dentistry
-Research
-Pharmacy
Last edited:
People aren't educated enough about podiatry, and they have an inferior complex.
Oh also another thing I would be interested is Computer Science.
Oh also another thing I would be interested is Computer Science.
People aren't educated enough about podiatry, and they have an inferior complex.
Oh also another thing I would be interested is Computer Science.
👍
I agree. Podiatry seems like a great career. I've heard that podiatry schools offer great financial aid and the lifestyle is amazing.
As for computer science: That's what I would do if I didn't do healthcare. I'm interested in both technology and healthcare. That's why I want to do surgery. I predict surgeries will get more and more technical.
I chose:
I'd also be interested in Computer Science and/or Mathematics. Right now, I'm interning at a financial institution and I'm surrounded by mathematicians and computer programmers everyday I go to work. Intellectually stimulating environment unlike the front office.
- Research
- Pharmacy
- Dentistry
- Veterinary
I'd also be interested in Computer Science and/or Mathematics. Right now, I'm interning at a financial institution and I'm surrounded by mathematicians and computer programmers everyday I go to work. Intellectually stimulating environment unlike the front office.

Probably something in healthcare policy or even healthcare business.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 616
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 314
E
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 1K
