Favorite Quotes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the recent threads have grown heated, and with many people in the midst of finals stress, I think something a bit more simple is in order!

I love quotes, and it's funny how a good quote can really "hit the spot," so to speak. I have a favorite from my high school band director - one of those change-your-view-on-life-forever kind of teachers.

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

- Charles R. Swindoll

Also, there is another quote that ANOTHER student on this forum posted at one point, and I absolutely LOVED it. It's so applicable here, it's wonderful. Please, come claim your quote! And let me thank you for posting it!

"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

- Howard Thurman

Now please, share your favorite quotes! Inspirational, funny, random, whatever. I'd love to hear them!

Members don't see this ad.

"A long life may not be good enough but a good life is long enough"

Bit of a sad one, but probably often applicable to veterinary patients....

On a lighter note, my Dad got me a t-shirt which says:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea"

Also, I notice you're a Python fan? Good call :thumbup::D

Members don't see this ad :)
"It happens every time, they all become blueberries!"

My fave movie of ALL time.:love:

"Oh, make no mistake. It's not revenge he's after; it's a reckonin'."

Some of the best quotes come out of that movie.

"You don't have to like something to recognize it as fact." - W. Stephen Damron

"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap!" - Carrie P. Snow

:D

I agree with twelvetigers. Charles Swindoll's quote on attitude is also one of my favs. But, I don't think I can chose "one" favorite quote since there are so many that I like...some inspire or motivate me, some make me laugh, and some make me think.

Here is one that I like on failure:

Thomas Edison failed 9,999 times to create the light bulb. Just imagine if he had given up after the 9,999th time. A journalist asked him: "How does it feel to have failed 9,999 times." Edison said "I haven't failed, I have had great success, finding 9,999 ways that do not work."

Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." - Jayne Cobb [Serenity]

"Aaaaas...Yoooouuu...Wiiiissshh!" (As he's rolling down a steep hill) - Westley

"Have fun storming the castle." - Miracle Max
[If you don't know where those two came from, I feel sorry for you. Man, the whole movie is a series of quotes.]

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty. (Firefly - Malcolm Reynolds)

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - F. Ross Holland

I try to take this quote to heart because if I didn't people would *tick* me off on a daily basis. When someone is being rude to me out in public I just try to think to myself, "Wow they must be having a much worse day than me!" I feel like this kind of attitude might help A LOT in vet school...

Horses do think, not very much perhaps, but enough to get you in trouble. ~??

Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." - Jayne Cobb [Serenity]

"Aaaaas...Yoooouuu...Wiiiissshh!" (As he's rolling down a steep hill) - Westley

"Have fun storming the castle." - Miracle Max
[If you don't know where those two came from, I feel sorry for you. Man, the whole movie is a series of quotes.]

The Princess Bride is only one of the greatest movies of all times!

"He didn't fall!? Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means." :laugh:

One of my favorite quotes that I try to live by is from Pirates of the Caribbean:

"Dying is a day worth living for."

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my favorite quotes that I try to live by is from Pirates of the Caribbean:

Another good one from Pirates of the Caribbean (though it's worded sorta awkwardly):

"It's not just about living forever, Jackie. The trick is living with yourself forever."--Keith Richards as Captain Teague from POTC: At World's End

And some of my other favorites...

"Destiny is a fickle bitch."--Michael Emerson as Ben Linus from LOST

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."--Malcolm X

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed? "--Billy Connelly as Il Duce from The Boondock Saints

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"True knowledge comes only from a combination of faith and reason."--Kenneth Miller (cell biology professor at Brown University and author of Finding Darwin's God)

Love your band director's quote, twelvetigers!

Here are two of my favorites...

"Until the end of our time on earth, we will be plagued with uncertainty. It is the way of life. Whenever we think it is not, whenever we think that everything is very, very clear and certain, that life is clear and unambiguous, that choices are simple, it is only because we have overlooked something important. Let us not decide ourselves about the security the city of this world offers. It offers none. Hold it lightly while we still have it, because one day it will all be gone. People, possessions, money, power, life itself--not ours to keep."
-Edmond Lee Browning (former Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States and a family friend)

"Life is like topography, Hobbes. There are summits of happiness and success...flat stretches of boring routine...and valleys of frustration and failure."
-Calvin (of the BEST COMIC EVER! :D)

My gosh guys, I love the Princess Bride, I've read Calvin and Hobbes since I was like five, and The Boondock Saints is a proud member of my own collection. I just hate it when they shoot the cat. Haha.

Great quotes, love 'em! Feel free to post more than one! Keep 'em coming!

"You don't have to like something to recognize it as fact." - W. Stephen Damron

You just quoted my intro to ansci professor....????

Did you get this quote from one of the books he wrote?

My goodness. That man's entire attitude is summed up in that one quote, only you have to picture him saying it grumpily with his hands on his hips. Very opinionated man! Aaah, freshman year memories.

Small world, eh Noledevil?

You just quoted my intro to ansci professor....????

Did you get this quote from one of the books he wrote?

My goodness. That man's entire attitude is summed up in that one quote, only you have to picture him saying it grumpily with his hands on his hips. Very opinionated man! Aaah, freshman year memories.

Small world, eh Noledevil?

I thought someone from OK-State would pick that up! ;) Yes, it is from his intro ansci book. I just finished his class through independent study - I really enjoyed it. I thought that quote of his was simple and very true!

Funny, I don't picture him as a grumpy man, lol. We've chatted a bit through email and by the tone of the emails and in his book, he seems pretty nice and down to earth... but I guess written communication isn't the best way to judge someone's character, ha.

On the door of a vet school professor's office that I walk past nearly every day:

Everyone dreams. Some are just more active participants. :)

My favorite animal quote would have to be: "Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." - Dr. Albert Schweitzer

On lighter note (and a long way from everyones awesome and uplifting quotes), my mom always says that her favorite word and phrase to use is simply, "s**t!" because it can be said in so many different ways and circumstances. Haha.

"We are all in the gutter. But some of us are looking at the stars."

Oscar Wilde has some of the best quotes ever.

I have two favorites. The first is from Emerson:
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some absurdities and blunders have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

The other I've posted elsewhere, and it suits me as a non-trad: "It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

The Dr. Seuss book "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" is full of great ones as well. :)

"The grass is always greener on the other side. But don't forget the watering bill is higher!"

:laugh:

"Attitude" quotes make me gag. But I like perseverance quotes. My English teacher had something written on his wall about how Babe Ruth struck out 1330 times to hit 714 home runs, Macy's store failed 4 times before succeeding on Herald Ave., etc. I can't imagine that everyone who fails and succeeds has a positive mental attitude (PMA), but I know that they don't give up. Hell, even Bukowski was somewhat successful :)

I met my now-ex boyfriend two weeks before submitting my VMCAS application last year. I told him how many times I had applied, how hard I had fought, how much passion I had for veterinary medicine, etc.

He was so impressed and won my heart when he sent me an email just before I finalized my application that said, "Your tenacious nature reminds me of this:" with the following quote....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. "

--Theodore Roosevelt

One of my favorites from one of our community practice clinicians this year:

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” -Mark Twain

I wanna talkta Samson! Fly me to the moon like that b*tch Alice Kramden. Cuz' it's hard bein' black an' gifted. Sometimes I jus wanna throw it all down an' get lifted!

-Sir Smokes-a-lot

"Live the life you love, love life you live"~Bob Marley

"You should pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you should never pick your friend's nose" Abraham Lincoln (yes, I read it in Lincoln On Leadership

"It's better to be hated for who you are than beloved for who you're not"

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got" - Alanis Morisette

The Princess Bride is only one of the greatest movies of all times!

"He didn't fall!? Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means." :laugh:

"I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awaken...but until then, sleep well and dream of large women." :D

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." It's a quote on the signature of a VIN member.

I'm glad you like my Howard Thurman quote, twelvetigers. I have quite a collection of quotes, because I love to find the wisdom in other people's words. Here's one I came across recently:

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
~Abe Lincoln

And my favorite movie quote (besides the one from Bull Durham which is probably not appropriate for this forum) is from Return of The King (it's an exchange, really, but it speaks to me):

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.
Pippin: What? Gandalf?... See what?
Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.
Gandalf: [softly] No... No it isn't.

I do like it, very much so. Thank you for posting it!

I also love LOTR. :) I think I mentioned before the, "All those that wander are not lost..." connection, at least on a different thread, and that's Tolkien as well.

Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. - Denis DiderotLOVE this one :)

Some random favs:

"Have you ever noticed anybody going slower than you is an idiot, & anyone
going faster than you is a maniac?"
~ George Carlin
(I always think about this when I'm driving, its so friggen true!)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one & asked Him to forgive me"
~ Emo Phillips

"Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash"
~ Jerry Seinfeld

"No one will ever win the battle of the sexes, there's too much fraternizing with the enemy."
~ unknown

OK, and lastly to all the above Princess Bride fans, my 3 yr old cat is named Inigo Montoya (we call him Monty for short).

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

I always liked this one from a random book I kind a sorta skimmed:
“If Joan of Arc could turn the tide of an entire war before her 18th. birthday, you can get out of bed.”
~E. Jean Carroll

I also love this one, “It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.” ~Calvin & Hobbes

For some reason my biology teacher in HS always used this one with me...
"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full." I was taking flying lessons at the time and yes, I am an 80’s child.

And one more great quote/lyric from a song:
"If you're coming with me you need nerves of steel 'Cause I take corners on two wheels. It's a never-ending circus ride the faint of heart need not apply." Mi Vida Loca by Pam Tillis
:D

The best doctor in the world is the veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter-he's got to just know.
~ Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

If you can't dazzle them with your brains then baffle 'em with your bull****. ;)

"Don't get your double helix in a straight!" ~Kryten

It's a dangerous business going out your front door ~J.R.R. Tolkien

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"
(paraphrasing Winston Churchhill)

"A professor once told me-If you're standing in a dairy barn and you hear the sound of cloven hooves...chances are it won't be zebras" (R.E. Lynk, DVM)

"Better living through chemistry."
~ Nietzsche, of course :)

"Dirty Jobs" ROCKS!!!! Cheap date night with my SO every week. We love "Mythbusters" as well. In the words of Adam Savage:

'I reject your reality and substitute my own." :)

I have another one.

"...a critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo."
~ Mike Rowe

Dirty Jobs, anyone? :)

Or, Mike Rowe anyone? ;);):D

Another YEAH! for Dirty Jobs. Just cant get enough septic cleaning, exploded toilets in the basement, and maggots underneath the dump truck. Did you see the "groomer" and "cow rectal" episodes. Classic!

Starwrecker:
If you can't dazzle them with your brains then baffle 'em with your bull****. ;)

LOVE IT :love:

One of mine is "The greener grass on the other side is probably artificial turf."

So many Firefly/Serenity fans...I love this!

And this one comes from Ratatouille. It was referring to food, but it applies to all sorts of things. I usually think about it referring to music or dance, especially when other people condemn something as 'awful' when really, it's just not to their taste.

"The average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."
~Anton Ego

Since people are posting Firefly and other excerpts, I thought I'd put one of my favs. My boyfriend and I laugh over this one all the time:

[Commander Harken questions the crew.]
Harken: You fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?
Zoe: Fought with a lot of people in the war.
Harken: And your husband?
Zoe: Fight with him sometimes, too.
Harken: Is there any particular reason you don't wish to discuss your marriage?
Zoe: Don't see that it's any of your business, is all. We're very private people.
[Cut to Zoe's husband, Wash.]
Wash: The legs! [laughs.] Oh yeah, definitely have to say it was her legs. You can put that down. Her legs, and right where her legs.… meet her back. Tha— actually, that whole area. That, and… and above it. […] Have you seen what she wears? Forget about it. Have you ever been with a warrior woman?

:lol::lol:

Just some of my favorites.

Thing do not change; we change. Thoreau

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.
— Elbert Hubbard.

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif'][FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Everyone talks about wanting to change things and help and fix, but ultimately all you can do is fix yourself. And that’s a lot. Because if you can fix yourself, it has a ripple effect.
— Rob Reiner

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']I will grow. I will become something new and grand, but no grander than I am now. just as the sky will be different in a few hours, its present perfection and completeness is not deficient, so am I presently perfect and not deficient because I will be different tomorrow. I will grow and I am not deficient.
— Wayne Dyer

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I ca do.
— Helen Keller.

Guppy -

Your quote from Eliot is now my anthem!