Favorite Rph schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What’s your favorite schedule for retail Rph? Rxm gets 84 hours and staff gets 72 hours per pay period

Members don't see this ad.

rxm has more responsibilities so isn't it natural they get more hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever results in the least amount of call outs and switches, LOL. Eh, since my overnight days, I kind of prefer to close (more paperwork, tying loose ends, maintenance, planning/ordering stuff ahead of time, etc.)...I'm use to having to multi-task like hell and have little (but very good) help. Techs who work late shifts get molded/trained to take on anything and become better, more independent multi-taskers overtime

Scheduler is all confused, like why do I am I like the only RPh to prefer closing? LOL

3x 14s is my favorite if I get 4 consecutive days off

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever results in the least amount of call outs and switches, LOL. Eh, since my overnight days, I kind of prefer to close (more paperwork, tying loose ends, maintenance, planning/ordering stuff ahead of time, etc.)...I'm use to having to multi-task like hell and have little (but very good) help. Techs who work late shifts get molded/trained to take on anything and become better, more independent multi-taskers overtime

Scheduler is all confused, like why do I am I like the only RPh to prefer closing? LOL

You're one of a kind LoL. Hated second shift cause I basically spent all morning just waiting for work to start, and it would be busy as soon as you walk in the door. Plus there would be way less tech help but it would be just as busy. First shift gets to grab a coffee, chat, check their phones then go on with their day at 3 or 4.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You're one of a kind LoL. Hated second shift cause I basically spent all morning just waiting for work to start, and it would be busy as soon as you walk in the door. Plus there would be way less tech help but it would be just as busy. First shift gets to grab a coffee, chat, check their phones then go on with their day at 3 or 4.
I'll admit, I am somewhat of a masochist/like torturing myself/taking on challenges...builds character, makes me adapt to conditions more readily/think on my feet, & mentally strong willed

M-F, 8-3:30. Or maybe M-Th, 8-3:30.

I don't actually get that schedule ever, but I'd prefer it if I did. Should've been a dentist...

So you need a Walgreens schedule at a 9a to 9p weekdays store? It's going to depend on your weekend hours, are you a Saturday 9a to 6p and Subday 10a to 6p? Or a Sat/Sun 9a to 5p? Or some other set up?

No matter how you slice it the "best schedule" will probably be one where you double on Fridays when it's your weekend to work and you're off the next Friday for a 3 day weekend.

Give me/us a little more details on your weekend hours and I can give a more detailed answer.

My current schedule is my favorite. 4 10hr shifts during the week typically with Wednesdays off (or take Friday off instead if I want a 3 day weekend). Work Sat for 5hrs every other weekend. I pick what days I work and can shuffle it around and just request coverage for my off day. It's the main reason why it'd take a helluva lot to leave my job.

Reactions: 1 users
So you need a Walgreens schedule at a 9a to 9p weekdays store? It's going to depend on your weekend hours, are you a Saturday 9a to 6p and Subday 10a to 6p? Or a Sat/Sun 9a to 5p? Or some other set up?

No matter how you slice it the "best schedule" will probably be one where you double on Fridays when it's your weekend to work and you're off the next Friday for a 3 day weekend.

Give me/us a little more details on your weekend hours and I can give a more detailed answer.
9-9 Monday-Friday, Sat 9-6 and sun 10-6, staff actually gets 74 hours per pay period.

Retail?

10AM-8PM Monday-Thursday

I don't think I could do 7 days in a row of retail pharmacy.
Yeah, same here...looking back, I have like no idea how I managed to do 7 in a row for over 5 years. Prefer having things broken up a bit more...2 days on, 1 day off, etc...seems way easier at least for myself to stay more productive on days off/really make them count instead of over-indulging in relaxation and rest

Members don't see this ad :)
9-9 Monday-Friday, Sat 9-6 and sun 10-6, staff actually gets 74 hours per pay period.
For me the obvious choice is alternating doubles for Friday so when it's your work weekend you double Friday and then have a 3 day weekend for your off weekend. Everything else is personal choice.

My current schedule is:
M 9a-530p. M2. 1230-9p
Tu Double. Tu2. Double
W off. W2. Off
Thu 9a-4p. Thu2 9a-4p
Fri off. Fri2 . Double
Sat off. Sat2 9a-6p
Sun off. Sun2 10a-6p

It gives me the 3 day weekend combined with a early end and late start surrounding said 3 day weekend. Ideally Thursday would be my off day, I'd double Wednesday and Tuesday would be that 9a-4p split. Which would give me 4 day weekends and concentrate all the overlap on the two busiest days of the week, but my last two partners have been super adamant about Wednesdays being their double day and I'm already forcing the extra night shift on them so whatever.

No matter what you do your staff RPH has at least one crappy 4 or 5 hour shift a week to make the budget work so you might as well make it work for you.

Funnily enough, my PIC actually wanted less hours while I want more so we're split 69/75. Still a huge cut from last year where I had 81 hours but corporate took away all overlap. We still have our 3 day weekends every other week so not much has changed to the original schedule.

Yeah, same here...looking back, I have like no idea how I managed to do 7 in a row for over 5 years. Prefer having things broken up a bit more...2 days on, 1 day off, etc...seems way easier at least for myself to stay more productive on days off/really make them count instead of over-indulging in relaxation and rest

It's very doable for hospital overnight shift. Especially when it's not that busy to begin with.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who actually answered OP's question.....

• Haha
M-F 7:00-3:30 I always pray to God that it just stays that way.

I don't know how people start work that early in the morning. That must mean some of y'all must get up before 6am or even before 5am.

And then how the heck can you go out after midnight on that schedule and still get decent sleep?

I get up before 5

Who goes out after midnight?

I don't know how people start work that early in the morning. That must mean some of y'all must get up before 6am or even before 5am.

And then how the heck can you go out after midnight on that schedule and still get decent sleep?
it is like blessing when you have kids. I wake up early at 5 in the morning and by the time school is done I am usually home. I have time to cook dinner and go out to park or for a walk in my sub. I enjoyed those midnights when I was in late 20s. But now priorities changed, and I love working 7-3. Even on my day off I wake up at 6 without an alarm now :)

I wish I could do 7 on 7 off. I work retail and my partner is old and slow so I am forced to split shifts so it is a bummer.

A million years ago when I worked for Eckerd, the two-pharmacist stores in my district were:

Mon. 8:30a-9p
Tues. 8:30a-9p
Weds/.Thurs OFF
Fri. 8:30a-9p
Sat. 9a-9p
Sun. 9a-6p

Then, the following week you'd only work 8:30a-9p on Weds/Thurs and have the rest of the week off, then repeat the whole thing.

A million years ago when I worked for Eckerd, the two-pharmacist stores in my district were:

Mon. 8:30a-9p
Tues. 8:30a-9p
Weds/.Thurs OFF
Fri. 8:30a-9p
Sat. 9a-9p
Sun. 9a-6p

Then, the following week you'd only work 8:30a-9p on Weds/Thurs and have the rest of the week off, then repeat the whole thing.
Eckered - god I hated that place - actually I just hated my DM
I worked 7 on 7 off nights there

Eckered - god I hated that place - actually I just hated my DM
I worked 7 on 7 off nights there
My DM was great. And my store was in a college town; maybe 1100-1200 RXs/week. Never enough that you were swamped but never so dead that you were completely bored.

My DM was great. And my store was in a college town; maybe 1100-1200 RXs/week. Never enough that you were swamped but never so dead that you were completely bored.
your DM didn't have the initials RH then..... I never met an individual who was such a complete and total jerk. I think our store did 3300 a week- but we had 5.5 FTE rph's and that was back during the major Rph shortgage- At least they paid bank with OT - I quit in 2007 - and just this year finally passed what I made then.

your DM didn't have the initials RH then..... I never met an individual who was such a complete and total jerk. I think our store did 3300 a week- but we had 5.5 FTE rph's and that was back during the major Rph shortgage- At least they paid bank with OT - I quit in 2007 - and just this year finally passed what I made then.
Yikes! Nah, mine was MD and he was a gem as far as DMs go.