Favorite Special Stain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

favorite special stain

• Other (please state)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • AFB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GMS

• Trichrome

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • PAS without

• PAS with

• Iron

• Retic

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Silver

• VVG (elastin)

• Alcian Blue

• Warthin's Starry

• Trichrome-VVG

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • PAS/Alcian Blue

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Congo Red

• Toludine Blue

• Oil Red O

• Von Kossa

• Fontana

• Rhodanine

• Myeloperoxidase

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • NSE

• Safarinin O

• Mucin

• Pap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to one-up the epic geekdom of the favorite objective thread. What is your favoirte special stain?

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot make it for special stains! In contrast to objectives, each stain has a specific use. However, my favorite stain (which is not a special stain) is H & E

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot make it for special stains! In contrast to objectives, each stain has a specific use. However, my favorite one is H & E, which is not listed :(

H&e ain't no special stain. And it about which special stain you find the most pleasing for any reason Function, aesthetic, complexity etc

Anything with methylene blue. Solely because it gives me a vague excuse to shout "..activate..Methylene..BLUE!" in my best comic-book-superhero voice, while pressing the secret button on my belt with one hand and thrusting the other hand dramatically-yet-somehow-purposefully into the air.

In cytology, I used to love Diff Quik and Toulidine blue (for immediate adequacy assessment)

For fungi, I like GMS

For mucin, I like mucicarmine more than alcian blue (for its rosy red)

Don't have much experience with the stains since I'm still a med student, but from what I've seen in the lab, it's a toss-up between alcian blue and trichrome...the contrast between the bright blue and pink is really cool.

Pentachrome!!!! FTW

Every slide looks like a Van Gogh.

Least favorite:
Worthless starry stain

Never seen one. Can you take a picture of one and post it. Sounds dreamy.

My least favorite would probably be retic or silver.

Pentachrome!!!! FTW

Every slide looks like a Van Gogh.

Least favorite:
Worthless starry stain

Wait a minute. I think pentachrome is what I call a trichome-VVG. That's my favorite!

I think least favorite stain would be an interesting poll. Warthin Starry FTW.

My "aha" moment in med school was doing a late night acid fast stain on sputum specimen from a patient with cough and FUO. The slide light up with red bugs, confirming the dx before the x-rays were developed. Also, one time I did an Oil Red O stain on a patient with suspected fat embolism, and saw the typical apple green birefringence under plane polarized light.

Giemsa or its variants. They are damn pretty if done right. Superb for marrow trephines.

Giemsa or its variants. They are damn pretty if done right. Superb for marrow trephines.

Great point. I can't believe I forgot giemsa. I'm not a hemepather though. A bone marrow Is a thing of beauty though v