Apr 13, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a rotation at the FDA in Silver Spring, MD this year. Has anyone already done one and if so, what was your experience like? With regard to housing, where'd you stay? Also, any hints on how to prepare for the rotation? In advance, thanks for your time!

Feb 25, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I would consult with your preceptor about housing. I know some know of places that would rent out for a short time period (I was local so I did not have that problem) and I also met a few students who went on Craigslist to find short-term accommodations. If you know what office/division you are going to be placed, I would recommend going to their website and looking at the organizational chart and description of that office. If you know what position your mentor is in, there should be some documents detailing what they do. They set up weekly agendas of meetings and presentations for pharmacy students every month. Some are interesting, others aren't. It's hit or miss. Having a car/transportation also really helps since you'd have to use a bus/shuttle if you used public transportation.

MustLoveDrugs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/FellowshipInternshipGraduateFacultyPrograms/PharmacyStudentExperientialProgramCDER/default.htm#housing

Check out the NIH list of private homes with rooms to rent. That's going to be your cheapest and probably best bet, especially if you're only staying in the DC area for 4-6 weeks.

I spent time in DDI and OGD as a student. If nothing else, the rotations were different from the norm and gave me a newfound appreciation for the FDA. Hope you enjoy your rotation there as well.