FDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samisab786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So earlier last year, I already made a post about the FDA rotation and will be starting it next month. Anybody else have it already? Where were you located and most importantly, how was transportation? I've heard Maryland traffic can be pretty bad in the area and live about 7-8 hours from Maryland and wanted to just get by with public transportation. My preceptor sent me a schedule of the activities at the FDA and most of it seemed doable with public transportation, with the exception of one or two sites. Anybody else starting next month?
Let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for FDA rotation for the upcoming year (2014-2015), and have not heard anything yet. When does the FDA notify you of their decision to offer a rotation? February? End of January?

How competitive is the FDA rotation? I know from my class alone, there are around 10-15 students applying for it. Has anyone been denied?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Students who are selected will be notified directly by their preceptor. Those that are not selected will receive notification via email by February 28, 2014. We wish to emphasize that the application process is highly competitive and not all applicants will be placed."

That's what their website says and I would agree. I had a rotation there in 2010 and I received a call from my preceptor just a couple days before the deadline. I received the official acceptance email in March.

My academic rotation advisor at school informed me in January. They had a remaining spot open at school so one of my friends applied late January and was accepted for Feb.

Is there anyone for the 2014/15 application pool who has already heard back from their preceptor regarding an FDA rotation? If so, what department were they from? I also applied but have yet to hear anything. Thanks!

I also applied for the FDA APPE. A classmate of mine found out last week that he was selected for the rotation within The Office of Prescription Drug Promotion.

To people who have been selected in the past: Did you receive your top choice? Or your second or third? The student in our class got his top choice, but I was wondering if others have received acceptance in divisions they didn't even apply for. Also, do preceptors call students on a rolling basis all throughout January/February or is there one set day that students receive calls? I just don't want to get my hopes up and still think that I could get accepted.

I also applied for an FDA APPE for the coming year...are they sending out e-mails to students/APPE coordinators or calling students?

Thanks!

Recently heard directly from FDA preceptor about 2014-2015 cycle, scheduled for Office of Pharmacovigilance in Feb-March 2015.

Would appreciate hearing from OP & previous interns' experience - rotation, living (Silver Spring), etc.

thx!

I am also scheduled for Office of Pharmacovigilance. Any thoughts on the rotation and living experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize the actual receive by deadline is not quite here (2/28) to find out if you didn't get it, but I did want to know if anyone had already received an e-mail stating that they did not get the FDA rotation. The experiential coordinator at my school is not the best with communication.

Is there anyone for the 2014/15 application pool who has already heard back from their preceptor regarding an FDA rotation? If so, what department were they from? I also applied but have yet to hear anything. Thanks!
I also applied and have yet to hear news either way. Have you heard back from the FDA since you last posted?

I will be going for Drug Info in March as my last rotation. Anybody have that one and have any insights or advice?

Oh, and also: I received notice directly from my preceptor at FDA last year in January.

My APPE coordinator received a confirmation email with the month of my FDA rotation but I on the other hand have not received any info from a preceptor. I know her name but that is it! I am kind of nervous.

Hi everyone,

Im actaully looking for housing near the White Oak Campus of FDA. Anybody have any idea as to how to find housing in that area?

Hi everyone,

Is anyone doing a rotation Jan 2015 and also looking for housing?

Hey guys,
I did my FDA rotation this year, you can PM me if you have any questions about it.
Housing-
The FDA is conveniently close to University of Maryland, College Park-you can find housing there. There are other apartment complexes in the area that *may* let you stay there for a short term, depends-the ones that come to mind are The Varsity, University View, The Enclave, Domain, Mazza Grandmarc. Keep in mind that one month here is approx ~700 and so if your rotations run 6 weeks or so, you would be paying $1400
Otherwise, there are a lot of students and housing in College Park which may make it an ideal place to stay. Be aware it is considered an urban campus even though it's not directly in an urban area and there is a moderate amount of crime there.
Otherwise, most students who were on rotation with me found their rentals via airbnb.com or craigslist and lived within the White Oak area. Some stayed in Bethesda (which is a pretty nice area, close to the NIH! and commutable to the FDA via metro+shuttle) I had found about 2-3 more offers on craigslist and they were reasonable with the time frame and all. The cheapest for 6 weeks only was charging me $900. It is a little bit more of a search if you prefer to live male-only/female-only, but definitely doable.

Most students there brought their cars (majority were from the VA/MD area). Out of state students also brought their cars. I didn't bring my car, but used Google Maps for transit information and sometimes got car pooled with kids. It worked out pretty perfectly. You can get to all the places you need to via metro & metro bus, but you just have to be aware of the time frame.

If you have specific questions, DM me. It was a great rotations and I'm glad I had the opportunity to go!

I'm about to enter my 3rd year and have started looking at the FDA rotations. I was just wondering if anybody could offer some advice/experience on how early you applied and how you selected which time slots to preference. The website indicates that flexible time slots improve your chances so I was wondering if there were a few months that everybody tries for and some that are less popular. Thanks!

If anyone needs FDA housing, feel free to PM me! After searching for like the past 4 months I finally found a really awesome place that's fairly priced and 10 minutes from the FDA.

Hey guys,

I just got a call today from the FDA about my rotation and an email confirmation. Details will be given in the near future.

Not really sure about housing at this point.

Hey guys,

I just got a call today from the FDA about my rotation and an email confirmation. Details will be given in the near future.

Congratulations! The FDA has such exciting rotations. Ask your preceptor if they know any good places for housing, search on Craigslist, join the Facebook group "FDA PharmD Students 2014" and see where other students stayed. I found my housing through one of those Facebook groups.

Hey guys,

Hey there!
I also heard back and am really excited. I can't find any Facebook groups or SDN forums for the '15-'16 year. Have you seen anywhere for students to connect?

Hey there!
I also heard back and am really excited. I can't find any Facebook groups or SDN forums for the '15-'16 year. Have you seen anywhere for students to connect?

Congratulations! No, there is no page for 2015-2016. There is "FDA PharmD Students 2014" group, I am in that group. Maybe once we start rotations, someone will end up making one.

Thanks! You too! I also saw the 2014 group but wasn't sure if there was one for our year yet. I've reached out to one of my friends who did the rotation a few years ago, so I'll hopefully find some different places that students stayed in previous years. I'll be sure to share!