Fear of the Match Computer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaTope

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wish residnecies didn't have to go through match. i would rather say hey i like you guys, do you want me? work from there ya know.

1 week away from submitting my rank list and im worried as to what to expect.

i dont want it to come march 19th, get shafted, and i end up having to download the Paris Hilton sex tape watch someone else get ****ed on the computer.

anyone else feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually you should be grateful for the Match, it's actually can be less stressful for you.

remember the Match is set up to favor the resident as long as the residency program wants you as well. Meaning in your ranking, you will not be "shipped off" to your 3rd place choice if your 1st or 2nd place choice(s) wanted you.

I had to go through looking for a Critical Care residency before they went through the match (this is the first year PGY-2s go through the match i believe) and it was worse IMHO.

I had a program offer the position to me, it wasn't my first choice, there were a couple others actually I liked better (if I could have ranked), however the residency who offered me wanted my answer prior to when the other two were going to make a decision. So went with the old phrase of "a bird in the hand....."

While I enjoyed my Critical Care residency and learned a lot, a little bit of me still wishes and wonders what would had happened if I had wound up at a program I liked better. Oh well..........

Actually you should be grateful for the Match, it's actually can be less stressful for you.

remember the Match is set up to favor the resident as long as the residency program wants you as well. Meaning in your ranking, you will not be "shipped off" to your 3rd place choice if your 1st or 2nd place choice(s) wanted you.

I had to go through looking for a Critical Care residency before they went through the match (this is the first year PGY-2s go through the match i believe) and it was worse IMHO.

I had a program offer the position to me, it wasn't my first choice, there were a couple others actually I liked better (if I could have ranked), however the residency who offered me wanted my answer prior to when the other two were going to make a decision. So went with the old phrase of "a bird in the hand....."

While I enjoyed my Critical Care residency and learned a lot, a little bit of me still wishes and wonders what would had happened if I had wound up at a program I liked better. Oh well..........

see i know a lot of programs are interviewing tons of people for the limited spots.

my 2 top programs really make it hard for me to decide who i want. i know of the programs says they rank their applicants from 1 to like 25 for match. that is what kinda freaked me out because they are ranking tons of people. the more places i saw the more i liked the idea of residency. i just hope i can get one at my choice you know. the area i am in has very limited residencies and wayyyyyyyyy more applicants than necessary.

one program i did apply to is interviewing 6 people for the one spot. hopefully it works out.

i just started reading the match info and it was a tad scary lol

Members don't see this ad :)
see i know a lot of programs are interviewing tons of people for the limited spots.

my 2 top programs really make it hard for me to decide who i want. i know of the programs says they rank their applicants from 1 to like 25 for match. that is what kinda freaked me out because they are ranking tons of people. the more places i saw the more i liked the idea of residency. i just hope i can get one at my choice you know. the area i am in has very limited residencies and wayyyyyyyyy more applicants than necessary.

one program i did apply to is interviewing 6 people for the one spot. hopefully it works out.

i just started reading the match info and it was a tad scary lol

Don't stress.

If they liked you they will rank you high.

Again the match benefits you.
If you do not match with them that means they ranked others ahead of you and, no offense, would mean if it was like interviewing for a "regular" job (which is what you described in your first post) you probably wouldn't get the position that way either. They would first give offers to people on the list ahead of you and you wouldn't receive an offer unless the others turned it town.

Good luck!

Last year there were more applicants for residencies than spots.

Last year there were more applicants for residencies than spots.

exactly. there is a real push for clinical now so it is very hard to get a residency in my opinion.

I am worried some how I screwed up the rank list or the computer won't register it correctly.

I am worried some how I screwed up the rank list or the computer won't register it correctly.

well you can still change it. you have another 25 minutes to do so.