Feb 1st VCU 2nd round

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm...I wonder why I didn't get in. Do all of you have 20+ AA DAT score?

I'm oos...19 AA, 20 sci, 17 pat...gpa 3.86/ sgpa 3.91

Members don't see this ad.

was there any interview sent out? i didn't even get an interview yet T_T

Members don't see this ad :)
According to one of my friends, March 1st will be the day that VCU will select D.5 and waitlist students.

yeah, march 1 sounds right. Also, fyi next adcomm meeting is Feb 22 and va positions are still available.

yeah, march 1 sounds right. Also, fyi next adcomm meeting is Feb 22 and va positions are still available.

If 20 people from 2nd round decide not to go to VCU, how do they fill these 20 seats?

I didn't get in either. I kinda figured though, I have 19 AA / 18 TS / 21 PAT and a 3.66 GPA. I think that as an out of stater I needed a higher DAT if I wanted to get in.

I don't think you look too bad there. Higher DAT always helps (one reason I am not in yet) but its not the only thing that matters. you in anywhere else?

I don't think you look too bad there. Higher DAT always helps (one reason I am not in yet) but its not the only thing that matters. you in anywhere else?

One of my friends in VA has 21/21/21 with 3.7 GPA but didn't get in VCU.

If 20 people from 2nd round decide not to go to VCU, how do they fill these 20 seats?

probably pull from already interviewed pool and probably will interview folks this month and make offers from them too

interviews for this person elsewhere?

Yeah, he got into NYU, and waitlisted in Temple.

And I know another person who got into columbia but didn't even get an interview from VCU.

my guess is the first choice was VCU? Its good that the person was accepted at NYU. I'm calling up there today to see what the deal is with my app there

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you tell me what kind of extracurricular activities you had?

500+ hours observation, intramural sports, honor council member, full time job all 4 years of full time college to name a few

500+ hours observation, intramural sports, honor council member, full time job all 4 years of full time college to name a few
How do you observe for that long? it takes like 100hrs to see probably all the procedures in every specialty :p

How do you observe for that long? it takes like 100hrs to see probably all the procedures in every specialty :p

I got really close with a dentist, he didn't care that I came in so I knew I wanted to be a dentist so I figured the more time I spent the more beneficial it would be

Nope. I interviewed at UNC but didn't get in there either. I guess I'm praying for the last selection at VCU or the waitlist at either school.

Congrats to all of you that got in and good luck to those still waiting...all of my classmates (that I asked) that got in last year in later cycles were, in fact, notified via phone call from Dr. Healy last year. Their status was changed on AADSAS at a later time. Hence my suggestion to keep your phones close...i'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you!

Scotty

According to one of my friends, March 1st will be the day that VCU will select D.5 and waitlist students.

Just FYI, I have a friend that was a D.5 last year, and she received a call March 15thish. Another one of my friends is currently a D.5, and he got a letter in the mail March 30th.

Just FYI, I have a friend that was a D.5 last year, and she received a call March 15thish. Another one of my friends is currently a D.5, and he got a letter in the mail March 30th.

If I remember it correctly, when he calls you for D.5 program and if you miss his call, you are rejected. Is this true?

I usually don't pick up home phone number so I am worried that he will dial my home number instead of cell phone number(I don't even know if he got my cell phone number, maybe i wrote it on 2ndary application or maybe not).

If I remember it correctly, when he calls you for D.5 program and if you miss his call, you are rejected. Is this true?

I usually don't pick up home phone number so I am worried that he will dial my home number instead of cell phone number(I don't even know if he got my cell phone number, maybe i wrote it on 2ndary application or maybe not).

Although I can't say with absolute certainty, I highly doubt that they handle it that way. In fact, I am pretty sure that my friend that was offered a D.5 spot 2 years ago got a letter in the mail a few days after the call anyway, and my friend that was accepted into the D.5 last year had a form to sign and return in the envelope with his letter. I'm guessing you'll be fine if you miss the call. :)

I absolutely cant stand it when people like this get in and I dont. Out of stater with a terrible gpa and an absolutely AWFUL DAT score... no justice.

http://predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=7657

He's an african american, what more do you want? i went through your frustration when i applied for college several years ago, but later, i realized the huge benefit of having these people in my class :), you will never be the one failing :p. Think positive!

Pinetar312- I think you should re-evaluate the situation. VCU usually has a general idea of how many out of state vs. in-state students they want in their class. Out of state compete for out of state positions and vice verse. My main point here is that you were never competing with him for a seat in the first place, assuming that you are in-state.

wantVCUDental- What you all fail to remember, not only are pre-dents on the website, but also VCU DENTAL STUDENTS who see comments like the one you posted today. I'm not telling you how to think, but maybe you should just think before you speak.

I think you guys are failing to remember that even though scores and GPA are important, its the WHOLE package that counts.

Good Luck to everyone. You still have a strong chance.

Pinetar312- I think you should re-evaluate the situation. VCU usually has a general idea of how many out of state vs. in-state students they want in their class. Out of state compete for out of state positions and vice verse. My main point here is that you were never competing with him for a seat in the first place, assuming that you are in-state.

wantVCUDental- What you all fail to remember, not only are pre-dents on the website, but also VCU DENTAL STUDENTS who see comments like the one you posted today. I'm not telling you how to think, but maybe you should just think before you speak.

I think you guys are failing to remember that even though scores and GPA are important, its the WHOLE package that counts.

Good Luck to everyone. You still have a strong chance.

I agree futuredent...thanks for posting. As a matter of fact, multiple VCU dental students are reading this board right now and discussing some above inflammatory posts.

Scotty

Probably not hard to figure out who someone is when they post a link to their tubular blog on their account. May not even be real numbers/person b/c it's predents. Good luck.

Last edited:
still its just disappointing. its awesome for her that she'll get the opportunity to go to VCU, but from my standpoint it sucks. I've been waiting for 4 years to hear from them and now more than likely I won't hear back. Not trying to be inflammatory.

I know for a fact that Scotty was not referring to you Pinetar.

He's an african american, what more do you want? i went through your frustration when i applied for college several years ago, but later, i realized the huge benefit of having these people in my class :), you will never be the one failing :p. Think positive!

I think you guys are reading my post the wrong way.
I said he's an african american meaning he's an URM and that he'll be serving the under-served after dental school, this is the reason why many dental schools accept URMs (they even explicitly state that on their websites).

And it's true that subpar students are at the bottom of the class, this is simple logic.

I didn't intend to offend anyone, and should anyone feel insecure and feel angry after reading my post, then i apologize but i stand by what i said.

It's true that whole package counts besides GPA and DAT, but sometimes it makes me wonder what they really want to see in the package.

thats_racist_animated1.gif

haha

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone accepted from the second round received a letter from vcu yet?

I agree futuredent...thanks for posting. As a matter of fact, multiple VCU dental students are reading this board right now and discussing some above inflammatory posts.

Scotty

...I agree, Scotty...so are certain admissions reps...

I'm curious if this person is still wondering why they have not received any positive sign from professional schools...