Federal hiring takes months/years?

Started by reipharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reipharm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am looking at pharmacists jobs on Usajobs and it seems like the open period for most jobs is almost a year long. For example, there are jobs that close in Jan, 2010. Only after it closes, they begin looking at applications.

Does anyone have a federal position? Can you tell me how long it took for you to start working?

Thank you
 
Hello,

I am looking at pharmacists jobs on Usajobs and it seems like the open period for most jobs is almost a year long. For example, there are jobs that close in Jan, 2010. Only after it closes, they begin looking at applications.

Does anyone have a federal position? Can you tell me how long it took for you to start working?

Thank you

Those postings are not for actual positions. They keep a generic posting open year round so they can take applications. When something opens up they have a bank of apps they can use.

I still think it takes forever to get on. I applied for a job 3 weeks ago and have not heard anything yet.
 
I heard it takes a couple months to get a federal job.
It depends which state and agency you are interested in.
I heard you have to know someone to recommend you too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am looking at pharmacists jobs on Usajobs and it seems like the open period for most jobs is almost a year long. For example, there are jobs that close in Jan, 2010. Only after it closes, they begin looking at applications.

Does anyone have a federal position? Can you tell me how long it took for you to start working?

Thank you

In this world its all about who you know. Take a residency with the VA and I can almost say for certain you will have a job.
 
After the application period closed for the job I was applying for, I started my first day about 2 months after the date of my interview. There was a bit of a lag time between when they offered me the job and when they gave me the "final" offer, which included the salary. There is a review panel who looks over your application/qualifications and they don't do that until after you've accepted the initial job offer. After you review the salary offered and accept the position (again), they set you up for some additional background checks and for a physical exam.
 
So first they give you an initial offer. Then they look at your qualifications. Then the interview?
 
After the application period closed for the job I was applying for, I started my first day about 2 months after the date of my interview. There was a bit of a lag time between when they offered me the job and when they gave me the "final" offer, which included the salary. There is a review panel who looks over your application/qualifications and they don't do that until after you've accepted the initial job offer. After you review the salary offered and accept the position (again), they set you up for some additional background checks and for a physical exam.

That is kind of what I figured. I called human resources yesterday because it has been three weeks since I turned in my app. She told me it has been referrerd to the hiring manager and they will start setting up interviews this week. So 2 mouths is probably a good figure from start to finish.
 
I know some people who did a residency in the VA this year and couldn't get a job at the VA.
 
So first they give you an initial offer. Then they look at your qualifications. Then the interview?


Sorry for the delayed response - I only check in on this website every once in awhile.

Here was my process:

Called for an interview --> offered position at my interview by supervisor --> HR called me to again offer me the position --> accepted position --> peer review panel reviewed my application/qualifications and decided on a salary to offer --> HR called me with said salary and asked if I accepted salary offered
 
Do you know how difficult it would be to get a pharmacist position overseas by responding to one of the job postings on usajobs.gov?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad